Good Riddance: `Bout Time They Ditched The B-stage ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
For Zoo TV they had the b-stage to play Angel Of Harlem, Stay, When Love Comes To Town -- and on some other random nights they tried I Still Haven't Found, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, So Cruel on it.

Then came Popmart - their B-stage staples included Desire, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Staring At The Sun -- also their first three songs in the first encore emerging from the Lemon.

Elevation Tour gave us Desire, Staring At The Sun, Stay, In God's Country, Wild Honey, and Please in the tip of the heart.

So from 1992 up to 2001 they have given us the b-stage. That is 10 years and three tours. It's about time they retired it, and from all indications of this new tour - it seems like the b-stage is gone.

I'd say the b-stage has become a tiring and predictable gimmick. As U2 nears their later ages in life, we all know we will see less and less of them in the coming years. And for this, with all their remaining tours *fingers crossed that this is not their last* they should gift their fans by playing full band the whole concert. We won't be seeing them much longer. Also, U2 should realize fans are paying high prices for the band (all four members) and not just watch two members hog the spotlight playing stripped down versions of songs that sound better in full band versions.

I say good riddance!

Cheers,

J

i think one of the novelties of a tour is to hear a different perspective on a song... and i'm pretty sure a majority of the people who are going to u2 concerts this time have not seen all of the different concerts/bootlegs that we've seen so they are not really familiar with these different versions of the songs

The oval in the new stage setup is set to be borrowed from the heart's idea. So, how can you be sure Bono and Edge won't play some songs on the tip of the oval?

If people wanted to hear perfect studio-like versions, what's the point of going to the show? For most part, acoustic sets work(ed?) very well.

U2girl said:
The oval in the new stage setup is set to be borrowed from the heart's idea. So, how can you be sure Bono and Edge won't play some songs on the tip of the oval?

If people wanted to hear perfect studio-like versions, what's the point of going to the show? For most part, acoustic sets work(ed?) very well.

I never implied that they should play studio like versions. Acousitc sets are fine as long as Mullen and Clayton are part of it (such as toms and acoustic bass).

Otherwise it would be unfair for Bono and Edge because both of them get more stage time, yet the rumor is that the band splits the profits equally.

Musically also, a lack of b-stage will mark something new and fresh for the band. After all, there still is the oval where Bono can run around all he wants as long as the FULL band is still backing him up.

Cheers,

J

Well, is it really acoustic if Adam and Larry play as well? IMO "acoustic" means Bono and Edge alone.

Bono and Edge, by default, get more attention on stage - as in any rock band.
Profit sharing is related to albums, nothing to do with live shows.

Musically, lack of b-stage is nothing new because, like you said, it was used on three tours. U2 has been touring for a decade before they first used it.

U2girl said:
Well, is it really acoustic if Adam and Larry play as well? IMO "acoustic" means Bono and Edge alone.

Bono and Edge, by default, get more attention on stage - as in any rock band.
Profit sharing is related to albums, nothing to do with live shows.

Musically, lack of b-stage is nothing new because, like you said, it was used on three tours. U2 has been touring for a decade before they first used it.

Acoustic is the type of instrument. If it's an electric guitar, like Satellite of Love or Edge solo Sunday Bloody Sunday then it is not acoustic. But this isn't about acoustic or not. It's about B-stage or not. Even U2 had done full band songs in the b-stage before.

Profit sharing also has to do with live shows. U2 don't tour for charity. There is profit to be made out of every gig, and the b-stage gives Bono and Edge more time onstage assuming they play without their sidekicks.

The lack of a b-stage will be something new because it has not been done in ten years. A number of concert attendees probably weren't even born yet the last time U2 had no b-stage.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I never implied that they should play studio like versions. Acousitc sets are fine as long as Mullen and Clayton are part of it (such as toms and acoustic bass).

Otherwise it would be unfair for Bono and Edge because both of them get more stage time, yet the rumor is that the band splits the profits equally.

J

I doubt that Larry and Adam have hurt feelings over an acoustic song or two. In fact, I bet that Larry and Adam enjoy the break (and Adam enjoys a chance to grab a smoke).

Gotta love the B-stage! The song "Stay" is a tremendous moment on the Boston DVD. Same with "Staring at the Sun" on Slane.

I bet a solid majority of Interferencers love the B-stage too.

Can't imagine that Adam and Larry worry too much about getting a break for a song or two. :wink:

Jick, you're right - On the Zoo TV tour, the B-stage was invented - and it is time to put it to rest.

They may have created it, but now everybody does it, and it's no longer original. During Zoo TV and Popmart, the B-Stage seemed to represent the idea that the band didn't need the ginormous stage and effects to still connect with the audience. They could still pull it off old-school. On Elevation, while still cool, it didn't have the impact of the previous tours. I mean, how far do you have to bring it down to still 'keep it real' - the tour was after all 'back to basics' for the band. Sure, the acoustic versions of songs could be beautiful, etc. - but in all honesty I would rather have the full band on the full stage over any acoustic song.

I am a full-on fan of acoustic versions, but save them for special TV appearances that feature only Bono and Edge, or b-sides to singles - and give me the full band on the full stage during the show. I'm sure that Larry and Adam don't mind the break, but for what their hourly rate of pay is for a concert, I don't know if they are eligible for their fifteen minute break.

As far as the 'negativity' of the post, If anyone other than Jick had posted would everyone be calling it like this? Sure, there have been a lot of crap posts, but call them as they are. This post has an honest point, and I have seen far more negativity in the responses than in the original post.

I can confirm that they didn't "use" the tip of the egg too much in the rehearsal, but it was more the Bono/Larry show on Sat. then the Bono/Edge show.

Jick you won't be disapointed if you didn't really want to see them out on the end too much. The only bummer is, it makes the egg ga that much better, because it's bigger and they don't come out and play to the non-egg ga folks as much.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
wasn't the show just a few hundred people on one side and a few hundred on the other side?

if there was no one in the middle, why would they even use the tip of the "egg" to play?

Yes, and it's completely possible they stayed on stage during the rehearsal more than they will on tour...Just an observation though..

It is because of the B-stage, I've been able to be close to the band......from the Zoo TV, Popmart, and Elevation. I really think it is a good idea and it really allows the band to conncect with the audience. Funny....dare I say, I was watching an Usher special on TV and he had a ramp that went out into the audience that looked very similar to the elevation heart. It had audience members in the middle too.

jick said:

Acoustic is the type of instrument. If it's an electric guitar, like Satellite of Love or Edge solo Sunday Bloody Sunday then it is not acoustic. But this isn't about acoustic or not. It's about B-stage or not. Even U2 had done full band songs in the b-stage before.

Profit sharing also has to do with live shows. U2 don't tour for charity. There is profit to be made out of every gig, and the b-stage gives Bono and Edge more time onstage assuming they play without their sidekicks.

The lack of a b-stage will be something new because it has not been done in ten years. A number of concert attendees probably weren't even born yet the last time U2 had no b-stage.

Cheers,

J

Um, you brought up those songs, not me.
IMO the acoustic songs were Desire and Staring at the sun on Popmart and Ground beneath her feet, Angel of Harlem, Stay, Staring at the sun, Wild honey, In god's country, Please. Bono and Edge, only acoustic guitars played.
Patronising tone won't work - everyone on this site knows about U2 playing songs full band on the B-stage or what acoustic guitar is.

No, the profit splitting equally was said for the albums. Bono (and Edge?) got the question if sharing was resented, as he (they) contribute most to the songwriting - around the time of Zoo TV. Stage time has NOTHING to do with that, Bono and Edge won't get payed more for a concert just because they spent a few minutes alone.

Attendess being born or not has NOTHING to do with the fact U2 has been playing without a b-stage for most of their career.

Last edited:
jick said:

J

I doubt that Larry and Adam have hurt feelings over an acoustic song or two. In fact, I bet that Larry and Adam enjoy the break (and Adam enjoys a chance to grab a smoke).

ihavefollowed said:

You make an excellent point here. I will reconsider my opinions about the b-stage. I think Mullen and Clayton do need their space and should get paid even for their non-performance.

Cheers,

J

I stand corrected. I read somewhere that during rehearsal night they did Yahweh b-stage style with Mullen on keyboards. I guess the b-stage will linger for one more tour but at least Mullen is not making himself scarce.

Cheers,

J

starsgoblue said:
There is a tired, boring and predictable gimmick round here and it sure isn't the B-stage.

Cheers,

R

There's been a lot of great posts today............but damn, yours is easily tops. Bravo! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom