Good and bad of this tour(all legs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pero

Refugee
Good and bad, i want you to post your experiences. Don't make your posts unreadable, a feet long post, make it short. Why is it good and why is it bad?

Good-they made it for u2, u2 fans, cause noone knows the first tim
Bad-if you're not a fan, this is a bad thing.
-I'm not going:sad:

GOOD:

-LOT of variation and rarities (an cat dubh, into the heart, gloria, electric co, the ocean, miss sarajevo, zoo station, 40, in a little while, discotheque, fast cars, the first time... did I miss something?)
-new album is great to tour with.
-great performance, bono's voice in brilliant shape, new outstanding versions of older songs (zoo station, the fly, discotheque etc.)
-return of the visuals, show is a kind of combination between spectacle and normal rock concert.
-fan actions.
-I experienced my first concert ever! :hyper:

BAD:

- you can't please everyone, so there's always something you can bitch about.

Overall I think this is the best tour after or along with zoo tv and popmart. PS: sorry, I couldn't write it shorter. :wink: PS2: yes, I'm a blind follower.

Good - First tour I've been to, only show [Dublin 3], THEY PLAYED BAD AND 40! :D

Bad - I haven't been to all the shows. :wink: And no Ultraviolet. :(

europe leg:-

good - stage set up, sound, good setlists
bad - opening as there is no build up or big intro!, UK is light at 10pm in the summer!

Good: The set, damnit. It's brilliant, and people should be able to see tha by now. The band is bringing a lot of crazy stuff into the set, I mean, Zoo Station, The First Time, Miss Sarajevo, The Electric Co., Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses... The list is endless, and you know it.
Bono's voice. Rockon.
The lenght of the set. 25 songs in Milan :rockon:
Adam is cooler than ever.
Great visuals.

Bad: A little staged, but U2 shows always have been.

Good: Bono's voice was on more than ever! Bringing back some oldies (40, an cat dubh, elec co), cool lighting for the indoor shows. :drool:

Bad: Too many "greatest hits" in the sets, sometimes tired performance
:mad:

Good: Excellent sound and lights, great beginning with COBL and I loved the rest of the set as well. :drool:

Bad: Ditzy girls shoving from 3 or 4 rows back, outside of the ellipse, thinking they're going to get to touch Bono's hand. Nevermind the fact that im standing there. Warning: Next time you get severely elbowed :mad: :madspit:

Good:Stage set-up,set lists,Bono's voice,vertigox2,sound quality,bootleg quality and the Fosters beer people(Europe),

Bad:seetickets.com,no "everyone"bit at manchester 14th,starting too early in Europe and last but not least,the boring farts who get in the elipse and stand like fucking statues(what are they there for) :mad:

good: it's u2, certain effects on the light curtains, new songs play very well live, some old tunes we haven't heard in a while making an appearance, yahweh, city of blinding lights, bono on the drums for love and peace, playing vertigo once

bad: the staged things get tired after seeing them a few times... i.e. the pulling a kid on stage durring an cat dubh/into the heart, european stadium shows in broad daylight, 90% of the setlist stays exactly the same night to night, opening bands, playing the same damned song twice.

babyman said:

if i think that pearl jam opened for them in 1992, then..................:drool:

At least three of the opening bands are huge in 10 years. Did you like Pearl Jam back then?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

pearl jam was HUGE in the united states at the time they played on the ZooTV tour... Ten was one of the year's biggest selling albums.

which one of the current tour's opening bands can claim that?

Don't like Pearl Jam, wouldn't know about it. But Razorlight are huge in England, and Keane/The Killers are almost up there.

And I don't think Vertigo2 is the best thing about the tour, but it's great.

God Part III said:

Don't like Pearl Jam, wouldn't know about it. But Razorlight are huge in England, and Keane/The Killers are almost up there.

those bands are big... very big, even.

pearl jam was HUGE. many forget that pearl jam was more popular than nirvana when they both first hit in the early 90s. they even made the cover of Time magazine... something very few artists can claim (except for maybe u2 and kanye west).

of all the acts opening for U2 throughout this tour, it's none other than Kanye West, the most disliked opener, who has the highest ranked album on both the US and UK charts.

razorlight's album has been out for 11 weeks and is already at #32 on the UK charts. that's not huge.

Last edited:

those bands are big... very big, even.

pearl jam was HUGE. many forget that pearl jam was more popular than nirvana when they both first hit in the early 90s.

of all the acts opening for U2 throughout this tour, it's none other than Kanye West, the most disliked opener, who has the highest ranked album on both the US and UK charts.

Well, in essence it's the music, not the publicity.
All I can say is that Razorlight opening for U2 (and their Live 8 perfomance) has made me a Razorlight fan, and I really enjoyed Keane and Feeder.

And then there's Arcade Fire. I don't know about their live capabilities, but Funeral is one of the best debut albums I've heard.

Good: mix of old albums and new ones, great live version of LAPOE (which surprised me), band still on fire.

Bad: Vertigo x 2, Vertigo x 2, Vertigo x 2.

Extremely Bad: Kanye West as opener.

well you're making two completely different arguments... "big" vs. "quality."

i like the killers and razorlight...

keane makes coldplay sound like rage against the machine.

at least we have patti smith at the last two garden shows.

I didn't start off with "big" actually. Pearl Jam was mentioned and I just said that I'd bet my arse that some of the openers will be just as big in 10 years.
For me it's always been about quality, and I'm totally satisfied.

if you could somehow arrange a trade where in Kanye will open the shows I go to in exchange for the musak that is Keane, I would be more than happy to take him off your hands. I'll even through in a conditional first round draft pick.

And I would be more than happy to take the swap, I happen to like Keane quite a bit... :up:

Good:
-their the best live band
-the lighting and curtains
-return of Electic. Co and it's better than ever.
-bono's voice sounds really good.
-Adam's actual movement during this tour.
-Bad closing out some shows.

BAD:
-need to change up the setlists more. look at Chicago I on this leg, everyone is so excited...imagine if they did that every night, and they could.
-Bullet the Blue Sky....oh my God, why do they play it every night?
-Streets performance isn't as good, the flag thing doesnt do it for me and no house lights sucks.
-the staged things...ya, they do it a lot on every tour, but this tour I find some it actually real cheesy.
-Kings of Leon.

With the setlists from the first few nights and acts like Kanye West and Damien Marley, I think this could be the best leg yet of the tour.

Good - Wonderful mix of old and new songs, Bono's voice, Zoo TV encore ( :drool: ), the lighting

Bad - shitty openers for the North American dates (excluding a select few, like The Arcade Fire), somewhat static setlists (though the latest ones have been fantastic :drool: )

Good:
- C'mon, who thought songs like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, Miss Sarajevo and The First Time will get played? Return of old classics such as The Electric Co. (an absolute highlight of the tour), Running To Stand Still, Gloria, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses...
- Zoo Station/The Fly. Never been played better before. The Fly 2005 is absolutely mindblowing
- Bono's voice best since ZooTV
- most of the new songs sound fantastic (especially Love & Peace and City of Blinding Lights)
- shows are longer (23-24 songs not anymore a rarity)
- from a technical perspective, the band is playing better than ever

Bad:
- Vertigo x2
- Miracle Drug, a beautiful album song is a big live disappointment
- the 2nd encore is a bit anticlimactic for me
- deleting the highlights for adding new highlights (Zoo Station-Discotheque), while tired old songs like PRIDE stay in the set

Good:
- Bringing some unexpected old shit back from the nether realm
- Adam discovering there is more to the stage other then the spot before his amps
- Bono's voice in a very good shape
- Opening act variation
- Playing for more then 2 hours a night. At least in Europe.
- Vertigo 2x. Which works quit well and I prefer it to 40. Although closing with Bad is the ultimate.

Bad:
- Playing most of the unexpected old shit in America.
- Doing stadiums instead of arenas in Europe. A.K.A. playing for as many Europeans in the shortest amount of time before being able to return to America. If they like it so much they should move there
- Playing predictable setlists with predictable choreagraphy night after night after night. Mostly in Europe again.
- To much politics. Remember Bono, less is sometimes more, you want us to embrace Africa, not pissing us off about Africa. More fun is needed.
- Expensive ass tickets
- Vertigo 2x. OK, we get it. Its fun. But not every night after night after night after night. Give us diehard fans a friggin bone! When the casual fans have deserted you guys when you get out of fashion its us diehards who will still keep you in some form of that great life you always thank us for. Don't thank us, talk is cheap. Play 11 o'clock tick tock instead. All the thanks I need!

Edit: How could I forget the greatest thing about this tour. All the great tapers and filmers who made available their recordings for free via the torrents! You guys rule!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom