Going into tomorrow's show on a bit of a bad note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhunkyOne

Babyface
Hi everyone. I will be attending my first U2 show tomorrow in Boston and I was absolutely psyched to go up until last night. Last night, I got word that my grandmother passed away. All the energy and excitement I had going into this show is more or less gone now. My mind just isn't set on going to this concert right now but I may have no choice but to go anyway.

You see, I bought my ticket on eBay on Saturday at the last minute because I have a rotating schedule at work and happened to get Tuesday off by chance. I wanted to see U2 so badly and ended up finding a great deal on a balcony seat for Tuesday's show. I already had bought 2 G.A.'s for the Hartford show in December so location wasn't so much a priority as just getting in the door. I tried sending the buyer an email last night when I found out but he didn't get it until this morning and had already shipped out the tickets. He was very nice about it though and offered his condolences.

Since I won't even have the ticket in my hand until tomorrow afternoon, I have no choice but to drive to Boston. I could try selling the ticket and just come home but if I'm going to have to make the trip anyway, I figure I might as well just go. Maybe it will take my mind off of everything.

If anyone can offer some help or words of wisdom/encouragement, I'd really appreciate it. I never thought I'd be on such a down note going into my first U2 show, although I'm trying to make the most of it given the unfortunate situation I'm in.

I am sorry, and hope you find comfort in this tough time.
Don't know your situation or the conditions under which your gradmother passed, but don't beat yourself up over going to the concert. I would assume your grandmother would want you to enjoy yourself at the show. I think the show will take on different feelings, and emotions but can still be a very posittive experience. All people grieve in different ways, for me going to a U2 show would be a positive way for me to deal with the tough time. I have so many memories and emotions tied to all of U2's music, it would be a very positive way for me to deal with a hard time and remember the good things about someone who had passed.

First of all, I am sorry for your loss.

And second, I think that no-one but you can have the final say on you going to the show or not, you just have to listen to your heart.

And it is important to remember that to most people a U2 show and especially the first one is an incredibly emotional occasion, Howeever it is also very spiritually uplifting, so I myself think that you should go to the show.
As long as you are prepared for the fact that you will have some sort of reaction from it I think it will be a wonderful experience that will make you come out stronger on the other side. And remember that you are never alone in an arena full of U2 fans.

:hug:

Last edited:
I agree with the above post. And by the way, my condolences. I don't know how close your family is or how close you were to your grandmother but if it were me, I would still go to the concert, especially if it is tomorrow. Chances are the services and funeral if they are to be won't happen until later in the week and U2 may be just the energy you need to boost you through the rest of the week. Whatever you choose, know that there are people who understand and who share your sadness and pain with you. The best to you and if you do go to the show, you will never ever forget the experience. Take good care.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do think I will end up going to the show and while I had a feeling it would be powerful and emotional going in, that power and emotional feeling just takes on new meaning now. If any band can possibly provide some spiritual healing that is needed right now, U2 would be that band. The show tomorrow night is starting to feel like more than a concert right now for me. This will be a religious experience.

Condolences to you & your family :hug:

And I think the concert might be cathartic for you. I would go, but as others said, follow your heart. All the best to you. Let us know what you ended up doing :hug:

We were all with Bono when his Father Bob passed away and the show went on. Take comfort from the power of the songs PhunkyOne. :hug:

I am truly sorry for your loss. I just lost my grandmother a month ago and she and I were very close. If there is one thing about grandmothers they always want there grandchildren to be happy. That being said it may help you with what she would look for from you. On another note about your mind not being in it. There isnt a better band in the world to see when you need a lift. The show can inspire you and maybe help you deal with your loss.

Just my two cents, good luck with everythiing

If there's anything that could make you feel better it would be a U2 concert. I'm sure your grandmother would tell you not to worry about her and to go and have a good time. Enjoy it and try to take in the energy and I bet you'll have some feelings that you might not have had before. I say go to the concert!

Sorry about your loss......
Back in 1987 On my birthday I found out that my father was dying of cancer.
This really upset me. I was looking at a newspaper the next day and I saw in the classified sec. an ad for one ticket for the Nassau colisium show. I called and the guy just wanted to get rid of the ticket. So I got it for face and it turned out to be the first row behind the stage. Bono back then spent a lot of time in the back and the way the stage was set up, it was even with the back section. He sang 3 songs looking right at me. Bottom line those few hours took away the pain and made me feel better. I can't think of a better way to lessen your pain than a U2 show....Go enjoy the few hours and don't feel guilty.

When I went to see U2 in manchester this summer, the guy I went with's mother was close to dying in hospital.

He, as well, was unsure about whether he should go or not, especially as his father had died just two months before that.

Even though she died two days later, I'm sure that she wouldn't have minded him going, and for those couple of hours at least, he was able to think about something else.

ATB

First, sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing.

My opinion (which means nothing really) is that your family should be top priority. However if the services do not interfere with the show Tuesday night and you parents or nobody else in the family needs you or has a problem with you going to the show, I'd say go.
It'll help take your mind off of your grief for a few hours, and my guess is your Grandmother would rather have you do that than sit home and be sad.
Last year when my Dad was gravely ill, attending a couple of Pearl Jam shows helped to get my mind off of things for a few hours. It helps a little.

I agree that family is top priority, but if your family doesn't have a problem with it, etc you should try to go and see how it goes. I'm sure it will be tough for you but hopefully you can find some spiritual healing, like you said. You will be thinking of her and that will make it even more special, no matter how sad it will also feel.

A few months back my uncle took one of several turns for the worse before his eventual death a few months later..it was the day before I was supposed to go to a Bruce show. I talked to my Mother about it and she insisted that I go.I felt guilty about it and all that, but it did help me take my mind off things for a few hours.

I'm so sorry about your Grandmother

Hi everyone! The show (my first time seeing U2) was amazing. It definately helped take my mind off of all the events that have happened in the last week and while my mind was focused on the music all night, my grandmother was also very much in my thoughts, particularly during the more emotional songs. When they started to play "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", I had to sit down and I just watched Bono and tried to listen and take in all of the lyrics to that song. It was very powerful for me. During the Human Rights portion of the show, my grandmother was also on my mind. She came to America from Poland during World War II and had a lot of stories to share about her experiences there, many of which were rather horrific. So reading the words on the screen right before "Pride" also hit home for me. One final powerful moment was during the acoustic "Stuck". I was surprised to hear this song, particularly in that spot. However, the song was only too fitting for the situation I was in and I sang along to the lyrics of what I thought was a very beautiful rendition.

Overall, the show was fantastic and filled with tons of energy and emotion. The crowd during and at the end of "Streets" was incredible; easily one of the loudest responses I've heard from any crowd and I've been to my share of concerts. Thanks to everyone here for their kind words and support. And thanks to U2 for showing me that things are OK and for taking my mind off of everything in a celebration of life and of music.

Now, if only someone would be willing to trade their two Boston 12/5 GA's for my two Hartford GA's ;)

Glad to hear your story and how moving an experience it was for you. Now you know how the rest of us feel. :hug: to all!

Back
Top Bottom