Glasgow Stage built sideways?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Anyone have thoughts as to why the stage was built along the long side of the stadium?

Do you think it had to do with ticket sales?

Clearances of the roof?

What could it be????

(I actually like it better this way...)

well if def. helps the GA'ers get a better view ... no one is more than the width of the field away. Were you there?

There's a huge new main stand directly opposite where the stage was. The stands behind the goals are not that large. I think that might have been the reason.

I'm think it was to give the people (and corporate hospitality) in the newly built main stand the best view. This stand is also the highest.

.........but hey, I could be wrong too???

PS I was there and it was a fantastic concert. No sound problems where I was standing and the band were on top form.

You can view my photos here....
http://forum.interference.com/galle...ery.php/cat/563

gotta be upwards of 10k

this setup actually reminded me of Elevation at Notre Dame where the tip of the heart was at the back of the arena - it was very unique and interesting - bono could basically reach out and touch the lighting and sound booth...

The halfline setup could also be a way to give euro fans something slightly different - from a fans point of view.

Seeing as the UK easily sold all tickets within a day - I doubt it's a matter of putting asses in seats.

u2fp

This is the best example:

45032PICT0121-med.jpg

Thanks!

That is odd though! If you were too far to the side you wouldn't see half of that screen.

i;ve been to 3 gigs at hampden in past few yrs and they have all been like this. stood at all of them cos i dont fancy gettin landed wi a seat at the side of the stadium & only seeing half the stage!

arent they blocking out a huge amount of seats by putting the stage there?

Chizip said:
arent they blocking out a huge amount of seats by putting the stage there?

Yeah definately so.

The seats to the immediate right and left of the stage were empty (as you can see), but my Brother-In-Law's parents were seated about as far right of the stage as possible. Approximately where the black dot on the photo is.

seats.jpg

They said they were not able to see some of the vid screens on the right hand side clearly, tho they could see the left vid screens albeit from a slightly greater distance. To be fair, they did say the view wasn't totally obscured, so it looks like the logistics had certainly been thought out.

I imagine that if the stage were set up at one end of the park, there would still have been the same problem but perhaps more seats would have required blocking off?

if you compare how many seats would needed to be blocked off

stadium1.gif

stadium2.gif

it just looks like there would be a lot less tickets available with the second set up

did they do this so it would be easier to sell out?

I doubt they did it because it would be easier to sell out. The amount of people who couldn't get tickets was really high. I queued for 6 and a half hours to get mine! I was at murrayfield for popmart where they had the stage the opposite way and I think Hampden was better.

Chizip said:
it just looks like there would be a lot less tickets available with the second set up. Did they do this so it would be easier to sell out?

Weird - you would think they'd have to do that, but your diagram point is well taken.

All tix were sold and there were still many thousands I suspect, left disappointed. With us Scots only getting one stadium show typically, there's little problem in selling tix here. In fact, there were lots of folks travelling up from England for this concert too.

the only thing i could think of was that this was their first stadium tour since Popmart, and Popmart was considered somewhat of a failure because of lack of sellouts, and so if they arranged it like this they would have a better chance at a quick sell out, thus making it look like a "success."

but who knows, im just taking a guess, it could be because of sunlight issues as stlelevation has suggested. ive just never seen a stadium show configured that way.

i do find it interesting that apparently some of the shows haven't been totally sold out and scalpers are getting screwed trying to get rid of tickets

though 85 pounds to be a mile away is a bit much

StlElevation said:
maybe something with the sun or the lighting?

By the time the band came on (tho it was still very light), the sun had dipped below the north stand and wouldn't have been a problem for U2. Even if that wasn't the case, cloud had already built up sufficiently to block it out for the most part.

That said, it was still visible over the far left of that stand for Black Rebel and Interpol earlier on - I got the sunburn to prove it LOL

Chizip said:
the only thing i could think of was that this was their first stadium tour since Popmart, and Popmart was considered somewhat of a failure because of lack of sellouts, and so if they arranged it like this they would have a better chance at a quick sell out, thus making it look like a "success."

but who knows, im just taking a guess, it could be because of sunlight issues as stlelevation has suggested. ive just never seen a stadium show configured that way.

i do find it interesting that apparently some of the shows haven't been totally sold out and scalpers are getting screwed trying to get rid of tickets

though 85 pounds to be a mile away is a bit much

I'm almost sure (??) that Popmart sold out here at Murrayfield Stadium, but again, I always thought that having just one show in Scotland would almost guarantee it.

Oddly enough tho, at 5.00pm-ish when I arrived for Vertigo, scalpers were selling AND buying tix from whomever they could. They must have figured there would still be a demand at that point.

I almost choked laughing when a girl offered 4 tix to a scalper and when he said "How much", she demanded £80 each (for GA's no less). Heh heh...SHE should be a scalper herself!

Last edited:
Speaking of daylight, etc...I can see some thru my window now which is probably my cue to go to bed. Nite all.

All shows at Hampden are done this way,so shaun is right.Corperate tickets for the event were still on sale for £99 right up till the day.We asked the touts outside at around 7.45 what they were selling for and they said face value so by the time U2 came on at 8.45 i would assume they had dropped below that figure.

popmart was a sellout accross the whole of europe! just u americans who did not sell your tickets!

well apparently you europeans cant sell out the vertigo gigs this time around :wink:

it could be because its a stadium with a track around the pitch, if they were to put the stage at one end, then the opposite end seats would be too far away to expect people to sit.
in any case its far from ideal as a concert venue. surely murrayfield would have been available, or parkhead, or dare i say, the huns' kip

Back
Top Bottom