Glasgow Setlist Party Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zwervers2 said:
I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles that Vertigo will be played till they drop dead...Hope for his families sakes that this won't be Bono's funeralsong when he is 87 years old and totally satisfied...

Hello Hello i'm in a place called vertigo...

is it me or do the sets actually getting worse or not...
so what show have you been to so far?

5 uk shows: 26 tracks played inc. Vertigo x 10

I saw so far the 3 NYC area shows: 28 tracks played

In those three shows i had two double Vertigos: in NJ1 they played it after\linked with 40 and it was mega-cool.
In MSG it sucked big time. Everyone waiting for Out Of Control or 40 or whatever and a second Vertigo come in. I can say that only 4 people in the building were enjoying it big time.

toze pinto said:
5 uk shows: 26 tracks played inc. Vertigo x 10

I saw so far the 3 NYC area shows: 28 tracks played

In those three shows i had two double Vertigos: in NJ1 they played it after\linked with 40 and it was mega-cool.
In MSG it sucked big time. Everyone waiting for Out Of Control or 40 or whatever and a second Vertigo come in. I can say that only 4 people in the building were enjoying it big time.
sorry not what i have heard, people who i know at the show said the crowd went nuts in msg when they played the second vertigo, as the crowd went nuts in manchester when they played the second vertigo, as the crowd went nuts in london when they played the second vertigo,

can you see a trend emerging? each time its played twice the place goes nuts? would they get this reaction if they were to play out of control, as by the looks of it over half of the crowd are there for only the first time, thus not being too familar with i will follow or out of control or even 11'oclock tick tock for that matter

am sorry but this argument is getting very very tiring, its brought up every show, even though people know its going to happen, move on, get on with it

KUEFC09U2 said:
sorry not what i have heard, people who i know at the show said the crowd went nuts in msg when they played the second vertigo, as the crowd went nuts in manchester when they played the second vertigo, as the crowd went nuts in london when they played the second vertigo,

can you see a trend emerging? each time its played twice the place goes nuts? would they get this reaction if they were to play out of control, as by the looks of it over half of the crowd are there for only the first time, thus not being too familar with i will follow or out of control or even 11'oclock tick tock for that matter

am sorry but this argument is getting very very tiring, its brought up every show, even though people know its going to happen, move on, get on with it
:up:

KUEFC09U2 said:

Just to play devils advocate.....Yes, the second time they play Vertigo the crowd go nuts.Its probably the first one that is unneccessary.

How about tonights set but starting with Out of Control.....sound better?

I know it is the Vertigo tour and thats why they probably open with it. But if the daylight hours dictate the light show/screen is not effective for the first 30mins then why not just rock the show with the oldies.As Bono himself said "the show starts off with punk then goes to........"

Anyhow should be interesting to see what they do with the show in countries where they can come on later such as Spain.

Lets not forget that in the UK, in late June it has not been getting dark until approx 9.30 for well over 2000 years. Dare i say that the production staff may have 'taken their eye off the ball' a wee bit ? :reject: There should be no need for last minute meetings at Twickenham.

Aside from Vertigo x2, theres really no reason why OOTS and Yahweh have stopped being rotated, ditto Gloria and Electric Co, at least it increases the variety

vertigo got a much better reception the second time at glasgow & was a brilliant end to a fantastic gig. yahweh would be a good song to finish on but playin vertigo has your head spinning all the way home & gets the GA crowd going one last time!

Christ on a bike! :banghead: Are we STILL having the Vertigo x 2 discussion??? I'm just back in the door from the Hampden gig and I'll tell you honestly...Vertigo #2 rocked the place again and the crowd were into it big time.

I'm more psyched about Wild Horses getting thrown back into the mix, which was a bonus and a half for me I can tell ya.

I'm even more psyched about getting in at 5.30pm and getting into the BOMB SHELTER!!!! I'm about 25 feet away from the band watching Bono, then Edge and finally Adam come right down to the tip of the walkway and rock out in front of us :combust:

Added to that, I wander into the Bomb Shelter and meet a buddy I haven't seen in years and we bear hugged for all the world to see

I'm sunburned (yeah in Glasgow if you can believe it), soaked thru after getting caught in the rain and my feet are killing me...but I've had the best night and I wish you all could have shared it with us here in Glasgow.

Last edited:
stevec said:
Christ on a bike! :banghead: Are we STILL having the Vertigo x 2 discussion??? I'm just back in the door from the Hampden gig and I'll tell you honestly...Vertigo #2 rocked the place again and the crowd were into it big time.

People who have been at the shows where it's been done keep telling people who haven't been how great it is, but they don't believe us :shrug:

Their loss :)

yes, but think how ROCKIN' it would be if they played vertigo 3x?

oh, but that would be crazy right?

cause twice isn't?

right. i'll carry on now.

I'm also back from Hampden...I was a cynic previously about the whole Vertigo x2 thing but it all changed tonight. I managed to get in thhe bomb shelter, on Edges side round about fifth row.

Edge was absolutely amazing and Bono had an absolutely stunning moment at the beginning of City of Blinding Lights and a couple of balloons. Those who were are the show will know what I'm on about. :p

I didn't really care for the repeat performance of Vertigo. I'd rather it ended on Yahweh or with 40.
I jumped and all - I mean, I can't change what they want to play, so I may as well enjoy it, but Vertigo is an opening song to me. It gets people hyped up for what's ahead. Hyping people back up at the end seems odd.

Zoomerang96 said:
yes, but think how ROCKIN' it would be if they played vertigo 3x?

oh, but that would be crazy right?

cause twice isn't?

right. i'll carry on now.

Well why don't you just email the band you're personal request for a fucking setlist then? Seems like the only way some people will ever be happy.

Don't try to bring me down with your sarcasm and don't suggest that my show was shit because you don't like Vertigo twice. I was there, I loved it, I'm happy...end of fucking story.

kellyahern said:

^

see what I mean :lol:

Sadly, yes I do. Seems like we can't share a bit of joy without some jerk trying to undermine it in here.

I'm getting a bit sick of it to be honest.

jackbauer said:
I'm also back from Hampden...I was a cynic previously about the whole Vertigo x2 thing but it all changed tonight. I managed to get in thhe bomb shelter, on Edges side round about fifth row.

Edge was absolutely amazing and Bono had an absolutely stunning moment at the beginning of City of Blinding Lights and a couple of balloons. Those who were are the show will know what I'm on about. :p

Yeah the balloons were a nice touch...it's those litle personal moments between Bono and a fan that are lovely to see. I got a pic of them floating away into the sky...nice.

stevec said:

Sadly, yes I do. Seems like we can't share a bit of joy without some jerk trying to undermine it in here.

"Don't let the bastards grind you down" :hug:

I would have loved to be there tonight and see a stadium show :yes: You're really lucky to have been there tonight and I hope there's a bootleg up soon so you can have something to preserve the memory too :up:

and you've got pictures? :hyper:

stevec said:

Sorry if I came off a little like that - I don't want to undermine your experience at all.
In the grander scheme of things, the repeat of one song is irrelevent in an otherwise amazing concert.

kellyahern said:

"Don't let the bastards grind you down" :hug:

I would have loved to be there tonight and see a stadium show :yes: You're really lucky to have been there tonight and I hope there's a bootleg up soon so you can have something to preserve the memory too :up:

and you've got pictures? :hyper:

:hug: < Back at ya! Thanks for the kind words Kelly...yes I was very lucky to have been there. I'm going thru the pix now and they're of varying degrees of quality.

If anyone knows a good storage site, I'll gladly post them and provide links for all to see. Might take a wee while being on dial-up, but some at least are worth seeing.

beau2ifulday said:

Sorry if I came off a little like that - I don't want to undermine your experience at all.
In the grander scheme of things, the repeat of one song is irrelevent in an otherwise amazing concert.

No no no it was not directed at you at all. No worries!

If your photos are huge, and you want to post them huge, then I recommend imageshack.us

Otherwise, good ol' photobucket.com is always good :up:

Thanks matey, I'll give photbucket a shot.

I'll resize them and tidy them up as best I can first tho...but that'll be tomorrow as it's almost 2.00am here now. And at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, my feet are bloody killing me! LOL

I need my bed.

kellyahern said:

People who have been at the shows where it's been done keep telling people who haven't been how great it is, but they don't believe us :shrug:

Their loss :)

I was also a sceptic about playing Vertigo again at the end of the show but after being at the 2nd Manchester show the crowd fucking absolutley love it. I myself think its the first version that they could do without but having said that the crowd go nuts when they play it first as well. The main downside of the European stadium shows has been the fact that its broad daylight when the band come out. On the stadium shows in the past U2 have toured the uk in mid to end of August when the light is going before 9pm and so you get the full effect when they come onto the stage. I think they would have come out on stage to City Of Blinding Lights or Love and peace Or Else had it been darker at the start of the concert, this would have been very effective.:wink:

oh, so you guyses were talking about me i guess?

:hug:

"don't let the bastards grind you down"

lame.

look, i'm glad you had a good time, seriously. but to consistantly play the same song twice in the same show is ridiculous, ESPECIALLY when you have a catalogue as big and grand as u2's.

and four times in two shows in the same city? you can't 7ustify that. not when people pay big money to see them, that's not right.

and don't tell me bad, until the end of the world, mofo or please wouldn't have kicked ass twice as hard as vertigo x2?

That was the best I've seen the guys play since the SECC gig for Zoo TV.

Absolutely blew me away in so many ways.

Stunning.

ascender_RS said:
That was the best I've seen the guys play since the SECC gig for Zoo TV.

Absolutely blew me away in so many ways.

Stunning.

was the 6th time for me last night and i am also trying to decide whether last night is the finest performance I have ever witnessed.

Truly awesome. First time I saw them was Popmart Leeds and thats the only one to be up there with this one for me.

Blew the place away, and the crowd took it all. truly amazing night.

Wild Horses intro.......yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
and what a nailed on rendition as well. Bono sayng at the end "only the 2nd time we played it in full live so hope we did it okay"... fukin right it was okay Bono. outstanding would of been a better description tho.

Back
Top Bottom