Gettin' on stage with the men.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa1310

War Child
Alright... So I'm planning on going to their last show this leg in Portland. I plan on getting one GA, camping out for as long as I need to to get front row in either elipse (by luck) or outside front. (This is all a plan, I need the money first...). Anyways... Bono on many occasions has pulled up fans to play with them. Me being a guitar player, that would be a dream to me... I am wondering what my chances are, here is my story... When I was 3, my father killed himself, and I grew up with the hardships of not having a father. And around the time that I am going to this show, it will be the 13 year anniversary of his death in December. My father was a musician, and always wanted me to do the same (he told my mom this). And I ended up picking the guitar later on in life (5 years ago). My dream is that I would be able to get on stage with Bono, and play Kite with him. As a way to reach my dad, and show him who I have become, a tribute in a sense. To both my father, and his (considering Bono's loss in the past years). Do you think this would appeal to him, or would he see this as a desperate attempt and a lie to get on stage... Does anyone have any advice for me?

I'm sorry about your dad, and it's a great story, and I'm not trying to be glib, but ...

... how are you going to convey that all to Bono? It's an awful lot to fit onto a sign. Are you going to try and meet him prior to the show so you can tell him all that?

If I end up standing next to you in GA, I'll do my part to try and get you onstage. :wink:

Well... I was thinking maybe something short, and to the point. A big sign... larger than most that I will hold up when he is near (as to not bug fans), that maybe says "A two musician tribute to our past fathers". Do you think that would work? It shows I play... It shows I lost someone... And it shows that I want to pay tribute to both... Any suggestions?

Ooh, that's a nice idea. Something that he can relate to, and hopefully will want to know more. :up:

Here's another thing to consider. They have to remember how to play the song. On the last tour, I wanted to play Running to Stand Still, and Bono comes up to me during a show and says, 'sorry, can't remember the words, got anything else?' Running was all I had practiced, and someone else got to play that night.

romi said:
Here's another thing to consider. They have to remember how to play the song. On the last tour, I wanted to play Running to Stand Still, and Bono comes up to me during a show and says, 'sorry, can't remember the words, got anything else?' Running was all I had practiced, and someone else got to play that night.

Ouch... What show was this? How upset were you?

im sorry about ur father.

i am going to the show tomorrow in Chicago and im making a sign that says "Please play Kite for our fathers" or something like that.... my dad passed away 3 years ago.

does anyone think this will work?

Last edited:
I agree that as a general rule, there is way more chance of anyone getting on stage to play if they ask for a song that has been played during this tour. (i.e. not Kite)

Zooropa1310 said:
Well... I was thinking maybe something short, and to the point. A big sign... larger than most that I will hold up when he is near (as to not bug fans), that maybe says "A two musician tribute to our past fathers". Do you think that would work? It shows I play... It shows I lost someone... And it shows that I want to pay tribute to both... Any suggestions?

yes mate, this would be fine. you deserve to go on stage to realize your wonderful dream. "A two musician tribute to our past fathers" is full of gold, do your best to go near the guys and to draw your father through the lights...............go for it!:heart: :up:

Bear in mind mate that kite also has a backing track. As this song has not been performed, and i don't belive rehearsed, do U2 have any reason to have this backing track avalible?

Im not being cruel, just ''real''

Zooropa1310 said:

Ouch... What show was this? How upset were you?

Phoenix on the second leg of Elevation. I'm more upset now then I was at the show, because then I was just excited that Bono was talking to me during a show, you know? I just locked up and smiled at the guy... Here's the kicker: I had a sheet of lyrics in my pocket. Didn't even attempt to pull it out.

Sounds like a nice plan... only I wouldn't wait for the last night of the tour. You will want to get GA tickets for two back to back shows. (ie: NYC, Boston, etc). I saw U2 pull on to the stage the band "the bank robbers" in NJ. They came to all the NJ shows with signs, and caught Bono's attention. Pretty sure they talked with U2's crew the day before they got on stage. I would follow their lead, and do the same thing.

Also, the last night of the tour usually has special guests playing and a lot of talking... try for another show!

If you are totally serious about this, be sure to talk to the band or someone close to them before the show. Because if you don't, the chances of you being pulled up on stage to play a song acoustic with Bono that they haven't played all tour is very small.

Don't mean to be a bastard, just being realistic.

Bodnex said:
If you are totally serious about this, be sure to talk to the band or someone close to them before the show. Because if you don't, the chances of you being pulled up on stage to play a song acoustic with Bono that they haven't played all tour is very small.

Don't mean to be a bastard, just being realistic.

Who would I go to or talk to? And how... I plan on getting front of GA line, so I wouldn't really have time... Unless I want to lose my spot :|

Zooropa1310 said:

Who would I go to or talk to? And how... I plan on getting front of GA line, so I wouldn't really have time... Unless I want to lose my spot :|

That's the thing, I wouldn't know any of that for sure. I'd imagine some people here would know, but if I was you I would go to the show previous to the one you're going to, and try to talk to Bono about it before the show. If you're lucky enough, he might really dig it.

Bodnex said:

That's the thing, I wouldn't know any of that for sure. I'd imagine some people here would know, but if I was you I would go to the show previous to the one you're going to, and try to talk to Bono about it before the show. If you're lucky enough, he might really dig it.

I agree. You want to talk to Bono like the day before AND the day of the show. People will let you leave the GA line around 3:30 to go and talk to him as the band is driving in.

Yeah no worries about leaving the GA line, people were really nice about holding spots as long as you weren't gone for hours and hours.

go for it. I think it would be awesome :)

Kite is one of my favorite songs of theirs:yes:

Back
Top Bottom