GA vs. Seats in Euro - Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OffAxis

Acrobat
So here's the situation. I have GA tix to Cardiff. I will be traveling in the UK with my family. My family will actually be in Northern Wales and my brother and I are taking the train down (or maybe the rental car) to Cardiff. The thing is since it's a family trip, my brother and I cannot just go and sit outside the stadium for 3 days to get a good spot in line. It looks like the earliest we might get there is around 1:00 or 2:00. This means it could be very bad spots in back.

Now I'm sure I could probably get someone to trade me tix, their seats for my GA, but is this a good idea?

Things to consider...

1. The reason why I want to see them in Europe is that the crowd is insane there. So maybe GA would be better.

2. If I am way in the back, I might as well have seats so that I can actually see the band (and see some of the sites of Cardiff instead of sitting in line).

3. If they are doing the lottery there (which I would expect that to happen), then there's always a chance with GA tix, but there's no guarantee.

I'm not overly concerned about this. Just trying to figure out what would be best. Either way I'm going to be seeing U2 in a stadium in the UK. It will probably be one of the best experiences of my life. :)

ill be turning up around that time cos i have to check in for my hotel room around 1pm, so i cant get there any earlier. hope the spots wont be that bad!

OffAxis said:
1. The reason why I want to see them in Europe is that the crowd is insane there. So maybe GA would be better.

Euro GA crowds are (I think) a very different nature to the US crowds. They can be totally insane, especially in stadiums. Be aware that if you are near the front you will get squashed & at points during the show (there will be a huge surge when they come on stage) - anywhere 1/3 of the way back from the stage you will be fine & have your own space.

OffAxis said:
2. If I am way in the back, I might as well have seats so that I can actually see the band (and see some of the sites of Cardiff instead of sitting in line).)[/B]

Turning up at 1p,-2pm you will still be in the front third at least of the stadium. It is a mid-week show so people will get there later.

OffAxis said:
3. If they are doing the lottery there (which I would expect that to happen), then there's always a chance with GA tix, but there's no guarantee.[/B]

I wouldn't expect the lottery. It's one thing to organise it for a GA section of 2,000 but there will be 30,000 or so on the pitch at Cardiff. I'd guess (but only my opinion) that it will be first come first served. It just doesn't seem possible that they will be able to do it for that number of people.

OffAxis said:
It will probably be one of the best experiences of my life. :) [/B]

Yes, it will be! Stick with GA & enjoy the atmosphere and experience!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really want to stick with my GAs, but wanted to know where I might be in the crowd and if anyone had been at the back of the stadium on the field. I think I will keep my GAs.

ark said:
Just be warned that it can take a VERY long time to get from North to South Wales - no motorway, and no direct train!
Good Luck
ark

It's not that bad. The train leaves from the town we're staying in at like 7:00 and get to Cardiff at like 12:00. That's not bad.

Side note - There's definitely a discrepancy in what UKers think is a long trip and what we Americans (esp. Northern Californians) think is long. My aunt, who lives in Market Lavington, keeps warning my dad that our day/side trips are way too long. She says it's like 4 hours!! That's nothing for me. I usually drive 4 hours almost every Friday after work to head to Tahoe/Yosemite/SoCal/Northern Coast. Last time we were there, people thought we were crazy because we drove to London in the morning and back that night (only a 2 hr drive).

locomosquito said:
Help me decide too! I'm trading for a ticket for Dublin. My options are:

1 GA for Friday night
1 seat in section 707 for Saturday.

http://media.ticketmaster.co.uk/en-gb/tmimages/venue/maps/uk2/10448s.gif

I'll just have started working in Dublin, so I don't want to be taking a day off already to get in the GA line on Friday. A GA on Saturday would be ideal, but that's not an option. HELP!!

In Dublin, I would definitely go GA. Plus Saturday is upper level, definitely go GA. I would only trade for a good lower level ticket. Actually I'm pretty certain now that I'm going GA. I actually don't know what the hell I was thinking. Anyways...

You might actually be able to get there sooner than you think. You probably don't want to leave early, but I doubt anyone in Dublin is going to think less of you if you take off bit early on that Friday to line up for U2. It's not like you're asking to leave early on a weekday and it's U2. Unless you just don't feel comfortable enough to ask, I would ask. Just make sure you're working your butt off and your boss will be much more likely to say yes. When you're working hard bosses will give you the world if you ask for it. Also there's a good two months before the concert, so you should be much more integrated in about 6 weeks and by that time you should feel comfortable asking.

forget section 707. its too far back. in a stadium only 30% of seats are any good.
go there around noon and you'll get into the ellipse and a wristband to relax.
the outdoor ellipse will hold a few thousand as opposed to indoors few hundred.
and friday will be a better night.
and who knows you might pick up a ticket for saturday aswell!
don't miss GA on Friday if you have the chance.

and think about it, most of your office will be taking the half day too. or all day!

OffAxis said:

Also there's a good two months before the concert, so you should be much more integrated in about 6 weeks and by that time you should feel comfortable asking.

Actually, I'm getting into Dublin on June 13th, and I haven't a clue as to what kind of job I'll have at that point. (It's kind of a haphazardly-planned stay, but oh well - it's Dublin!) Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Before I start the job, should I say, 'I can start right away, but I know for sure I'll need 6/24 off?'

Anyways, thanks for your suggestions. I suppose I'll go for the GA now! =)

Back
Top Bottom