GA Tix & Entering the Ellipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ltoroguapo

Babyface
Does anyone know how entering the ellipse will work for GA tix in the N. America Fall 05 tour leg?

Is there a special "marking" or coding on the tix to denote whether/not your auto-assigned inside the ellipse? I have 2 GA tix - curious...

If you hold the ticket up to a light and tilt it to the side, you should be able to see the word "Ellipse" show up on it. If it doesn't show up then you wont get in.

Chizip said:
If you hold the ticket up to a light and tilt it to the side, you should be able to see the word "Ellipse" show up on it. If it doesn't show up then you wont get in.
did you get in? if not fingers crossed for the fall :)

Chizip said:

Very funny...
There is no way to know. It's a lottery, and you have approximately one chance out of ten to win it. Because you can bring one person in with you, having a buddy with you increases your chances to about one in five. It makes no difference whether you have a FAN ticket or not, same chances for everyone.

It's not clear whether the lottery happens with the ticket number or inside the computer. Probably with the ticket number, but no one really knows.

That is, of course, if things work the same way they did for the first leg.

i actually prefer being outside the tip of the ellipse rather than inside it

Thanks for the information - I'm travelling to one of the NYC show sin October so this is very helpful. One more question if I may:

Do they scan/determine when your ticket early in the day? For some Euro shows those that arrived early got wristbands and could spend the rest of the day at their leisure. I don't really want to spend my limited time in New York wasting a day standing in a queue, but on the other hand don't want a crap spot at the back of the arena.

oceane said:

Very funny...
There is no way to know. It's a lottery, and you have approximately one chance out of ten to win it. Because you can bring one person in with you, having a buddy with you increases your chances to about one in five.

Is it really one in ten? I thought the chances were about 15% or one in about 6/7.

For the Euro shows it was first come first in.

The handed out bands to the first 200 i guess in my entrance. Must have done the same with all the other entrances.

if in doubt, i would get their nice and early and be prepared to run.

theyll probably announce some new policy the morning of the show. u2 is good at keeping their fans informed like that :rolleyes:

i just remember going to the opening show, people had camped out the night before having no idea what the system was going to be, and they didn't announce the lottery until 10am the day of the show. ridiculous. that was something that should have been announced when the tickets went on sale so you knew what you were getting into when buying GA tickets, not the day of the show when a few hundred people were already in line.

don't even get me started on the opening bands thing. just when i think u2.com couldnt be anymore inept, they find new ways to outdo themselves.

Johnovox said:

Is it really one in ten? I thought the chances were about 15% or one in about 6/7.

Well, that's an approximation. About 400 people in the ellipse (and therefore about 200 lottery winners) and about 2000 people total on the floor. Which makes it one in ten (but one in five if you have a buddy, which is easy to find even if you go to the show by yourself). But it varies slightly from venue to venue of course.

As for specific procedure, the GA line is the venue's responsibility, not U2's. Their people only arrive later on in the afternoon, and they're the ones managing the lottery, and also the two lines (U2.com and non-U2.com) if it hasn't been done by the venue staff already. Which means some venues will manage things very well and sometimes give out wristbands in the morning so people don't have to wait in line all day (like in Boston and other places), or they might not give a shit about the GA line. I went to MSG in New York in May, and security was atrocious, they had no idea what was going on, and no one knew where we were supposed to line-up in the morning. Needless to say giving out wristbands was way beyond their capacity.

Adelabella said:
Or yeah Chizip, which opening show is it that you're talking about? Was it on the European tour, or a past tour such as Elevation?

I was talking about the opening Vertigo show in San Diego. I also remember the second show in San Diego, there were no presale FAN tickets for that show, so they didn't know how to split up the lines. They went back and forth between deciding if they wanted to split up the lines and/or have a lottery or not 4 or 5 times. It was completely disorganized as they were making up the rules on the fly. This is something you think they would have planned ahead of time, but nope. Once again, it was ridiculous.

Personally, I don't know why they go through all this hassle of splitting up the lines and having a lottery. The first come/first serve policy of Elevation seemed to work just fine.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

Personally, I don't know why they go through all this hassle of splitting up the lines and having a lottery. The first come/first serve policy of Elevation seemed to work just fine.

I so agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes: First come/first serve policy was great and worked out great, smooth as silk from the shows I went to. I wish they would bring this back! :sad:

:wave: hiya Chip!!!!!!!!!!!

<<<<Amy from the san diego show (opening nite)

Chizip said:
:scratch:

do i know you?

:wink:

hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:madspit:

in case you forgot...I'm the short gal (whom you let get in front of you during the show cuz of some amazon bitchy blonde chick) in the cowboy hat here:
bonosigningtshirtinfrontofme.jpg

Last edited:
U2Fanatic4ever said:

in case you forgot...I'm the short gal (whom you let get in front of you during the show cuz of some amazon bitchy blonde chick)

yeah that was quite nice of me, wasnt it? :wink:

so, at some venues they do a lottery for getting into the ellipse, and at others, they give out wristbands for the ellipse on a first come, first serve basis?

billybob said:
so, at some venues they do a lottery for getting into the ellipse, and at others, they give out wristbands for the ellipse on a first come, first serve basis?

at all venues on the first leg there was the lottery for getting into the ellipse meaning that once you got in the door they scan your ticket and if you got the vertigo logo on the computer you got into the ellipse. That should be the way it's going to go for the 3rd leg until the u2 camp says something otherwise. The wristbands at some venues were just for the GA people to line up at a later time that day.

From larrysgirl (employed at ACC) on U2.com (copied from Zootopia):

Ok everyone, I sent an email to my supervisor at work asking as to what time people can line up for GAs and where and such...all he said was this:

I have no information as to a time restriction for lining up for GAs. You should check with TicketMaster.

lmao! My work - oi! They never know what is going on.

Basically my advice is this: don't bother calling ACC and asking because they do not know the answer, trust me, I work there!

All I know for 100% certain is that GA lineups are outside gate 2 on Bay Street. To be honest, we have not had a GA show at ACC that has had such demand since the Elevation tour! Normally, no one lines up until the day of. The concert starts at 7:30, so that means doors of 6:30 pm.

I wouldn't recommend lining up overnight because Bay and Lakeshore is a very dodgy part of town with lots of shady characters hanging about, plus there are no washroom facilities as Union Station nearby closes at some point in the early AM. There is no where to get food or drink or use facilities anywhere near ACC that would be open.

I just got off the phone with TicketMaster and asked them what was happening regarding the GA lineups, and this is what they told me:

GA lineup will be on a first-come, first-served basis. There will be NO WRISTBANDS issued for the GA line. There is also no limitation as to what time people can start lining up, but note doors will not be opened until 6:30 pm on the day of the concert.

I will let you know if I hear anything else from my supervisors. I will be working this week for Elton John so I might hear something more.

Cheers! **********************

Sounds like it will be up to the "U2 fan" GA numbering system, informal and somewhat practical.

Concensus of time so far from Zoo is 8 am.

baisicly this entire thing is u2's management's fault.

if there isn't a group of fans who want to get there at the ass crack of dawn and organize things, then things get fucked up. it's not the arena security's job to set up GA lines... especially at a place like Madison Square Garden, which is dead smack in the middle of Manhattan, meaning the GA line will actually be on a city sidewalk... which of course would put the jurisdiction into the hands of the NYPD, who certainly have way too much stuff to do besides set up a GA line for a U2 concert.

if u2's management would just post a universal policy for every arena on their oh so crappy web page, and have their own staff out there setting the line up in the morning, then we wouldn't have these problems.

i've brought up david letterman in the past. if you go to see letterman in NYC, the CBS interns are outside the Ed Sullivan Theater starting at 9am. You give them your ticket, and they give you a number. Then you leave... that's it. End of story. Show back up at around 4pm and the staff lines you up according to number.

If three friggin CBS interns can hand out numbers for 500 people at the Ed Sullivan Theatre, I certainly think that Principle Management can get a dozen or so people to handle a number system for the thousand or so people who actually show up early for the GA line. Not that hard to do.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
baisicly this entire thing is u2's management's fault.

if there isn't a group of fans who want to get there at the ass crack of dawn and organize things, then things get fucked up. it's not the arena security's job to set up GA lines... especially at a place like Madison Square Garden, which is dead smack in the middle of Manhattan, meaning the GA line will actually be on a city sidewalk... which of course would put the jurisdiction into the hands of the NYPD, who certainly have way too much stuff to do besides set up a GA line for a U2 concert.

if u2's management would just post a universal policy for every arena on their oh so crappy web page, and have their own staff out there setting the line up in the morning, then we wouldn't have these problems.

i've brought up david letterman in the past. if you go to see letterman in NYC, the CBS interns are outside the Ed Sullivan Theater starting at 9am. You give them your ticket, and they give you a number. Then you leave... that's it. End of story. Show back up at around 4pm and the staff lines you up according to number.

If three friggin CBS interns can hand out numbers for 500 people at the Ed Sullivan Theatre, I certainly think that Principle Management can get a dozen or so people to handle a number system for the thousand or so people who actually show up early for the GA line. Not that hard to do.

I totally agree with ya! :yes: This scenario would be ideal and makes logical sense but we are talking about U2 management aka Principle... So it aint gonna happen. :mad: :huh:

As with Ticketmaster saying first come first serve...That isn't gonna happen. As it stands now until we hear otherwise (if it happens it will be the last minute or day of show) the lottery still stands. Aka..being scanned into the ellipse or not.

And if they hand out wristbands to the GA people and ask everyone to come back doesn't mean that the venue staff/security are going to abide by this (often policy changes throughout the day cuz these people haven't a clue). As it has been as far back as I can remember each venue does it differently basically. And what U2 management says to do doesn't mean the venue staff are going to follow that policy. It is a free for all folks so just be prepared is all I can say.

Back
Top Bottom