Ga Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
Hi all,

My show, Vancouver aprl29 is coming up soon!!!!!

There are 6 of us traveling and we GA tix. I have a few questions regarding GA tix.

Lineup: How early have people been showing up? I heard the night before for SD1. If I want to make sure that we have good "railside" spots, how early should we get there?

Ellipse: Have security guards/ellipse admin been sympathetic to group needs? For example, if 4/6 get access to the ellipse, will the guards let the other group members join us?

Thanks for the help on this.

The lottery and the separate line for U2.com members have reduced the need to "camp out" for the show. In LA, we arrived at 1:00 pm and were Nos. 71 & 72 in the U2.com line. We ended up on the rail in the Ellipse. The people in front of us in line were on the rail outside the Ellipse.

As for exceeding the "two person rule" there have been a couple of stories of a third person getting in. But a group of 6 may be difficult.

nbcrusader said:
The lottery and the separate line for U2.com members have reduced the need to "camp out" for the show. In LA, we arrived at 1:00 pm and were Nos. 71 & 72 in the U2.com line. We ended up on the rail in the Ellipse. The people in front of us in line were on the rail outside the Ellipse.

As for exceeding the "two person rule" there have been a couple of stories of a third person getting in. But a group of 6 may be difficult.

Thanks

In Denver, I showed up at 10:45 or so and was #148 in the non fan club line. When they split it, I don't know what we were.

We were about 3 or 4 people away from the outside rail. :)

Based on some of her other posts, I think AvsGirl41 is talking about Denver 2; assuming she is, here is some perspective. We arrived at 6:05, did not even get a number, and ended up about 8 'rows' of people off the tip of the rail dead center.

It was a great view; and my wife was happy that we did not invest the time waiting in line, but rather had a nice dinner instead.

It's kind of like some golf shots -- risk and reward -- if you have the time and really want to be close, by all means go early. Otherwise, take your chances and you'll probably have a great veiw and enjoy the show regardless.

I have a question: how are people being identified as legitimately being in the u2.com line? Do you have to have GA tickets marked with the fanclub designation? Or are the u2.com ID cards actually being used for this?

Just wondering, because I'm a u2.com member but my GAs to several shows were not obtained in the fanclub presale.

sv said:
I have a question: how are people being identified as legitimately being in the u2.com line? Do you have to have GA tickets marked with the fanclub designation? Or are the u2.com ID cards actually being used for this?

Just wondering, because I'm a u2.com member but my GAs to several shows were not obtained in the fanclub presale.

I understand that for shows that had a presale, you need a presale ticket, but for those that didn't, the U2.com card or a printout of your membership page is enough.

Axver, that is absolutely correct.

My advice, don't wait. Unless you are in the top 50 or so of either line you most likely will not get on a rail. If you get scanned into the bomb shelter, it will be a wasted day of waiting as you could have gotten scanned in @ 8 PM (and it seems the later you show up the better the odds are). The difference in my experience between 1 back and 4 - 6 back on the rail is minimal in show enjoyment but HOURS of wait time. Not worth it. Go out get dinner, have a drink, try and meet the band..do whatever..get there at 6:30 and walk right in and get your spot 3 or 4 back from the rail. Maybe you will get in the ellipse. As I posted in the GA Poll thread, my enjoyment levels are SEVERELY better since I adopted this policy. I even met Bono on Thursday. I enjoyed both Denver shows more than I enjoyed ANY of the Elevation shows that I waited all day and got in the heart.

It will serve you well, if you decide to wait to bring any of the following if you are a u2.com member:

1. Tickets with fan club designation
2. Membership ID Card
3. Keychain
4. A print up of your profile from U2.com

These lines are run by local security and if you are checked at all, it will be just to get into the line. There will be no checking to get into the venue. Every venue will be different but one or 2 of the above will most likely assure you get in the line you want to be in. If you are going to a second night in a city, ask around, many will have done it the night before and have intimate first hand knowledge of how it worked.

cmb737,
Just wondering if anyone thinks that the odds of getting 'beeped' for the elipse are better by going in later and not lining up. I think since they do need to fill it up, the odds are better if you don't line up all day and instead go to the show at 6:30p or so.??

I agree again, chyland...I think your odds are best AFTER 7:30 or 8. Most of the people I talked to, and I talked to a lot in Denver, got there about that time or later even!

We got there at 7:30 for Denver 1...2 beeps in 6 trys...
We got there at 7:00 for Denver 2...0 beeps in 8 trys...

Completely unscientific, but I think it holds some weight...at least worth considering.

cmb737 said:

My advice, don't wait. Unless you are in the top 50 or so of either line you most likely will not get on a rail. If you get scanned into the bomb shelter, it will be a wasted day of waiting as you could have gotten scanned in @ 8 PM (and it seems the later you show up the better the odds are). The difference in my experience between 1 back and 4 - 6 back on the rail is minimal in show enjoyment but HOURS of wait time. Not worth it. Go out get dinner, have a drink, try and meet the band..do whatever..get there at 6:30 and walk right in and get your spot 3 or 4 back from the rail. Maybe you will get in the ellipse. As I posted in the GA Poll thread, my enjoyment levels are SEVERELY better since I adopted this policy. I even met Bono on Thursday. I enjoyed both Denver shows more than I enjoyed ANY of the Elevation shows that I waited all day and got in the heart.

It will serve you well, if you decide to wait to bring any of the following if you are a u2.com member:

2. Membership ID Card
3. Keychain

These lines are run by local security and if you are checked at all, it will be just to get into the line. There will be no checking to get into the venue. Every venue will be different but one or 2 of the above will most likely assure you get in the line you want to be in. If you are going to a second night in a city, ask around, many will have done it the night before and have intimate first hand knowledge of how it worked.

For a show with a presale, can you still get in the U2.com line with your membership card, or is this ONLY for shows without a presale ??

BWU2Buffs said:
Based on some of her other posts, I think AvsGirl41 is talking about Denver 2; assuming she is, here is some perspective. We arrived at 6:05, did not even get a number, and ended up about 8 'rows' of people off the tip of the rail dead center.

Actually, I was talking about Denver 1. :)

The numbering system was so stupid. What was the point? I guess, in theory, I could have gone home anytime I wanted, but at no point did they check the darn things. They made me sign my friend in, and then when I went to a Pepsi Center employee to say "He's here, does he needs his number marked?" they just yelled at me. (Lovely staff, all. :rolleyes: ) No one understood
how it was working, we all just stayed except for one guy, who came and went...and we still had to watch his spot.

It all depends where you want to be. I know if I had gone later, I would have ended up unable to see. (I could barely see anyway thanks to Giant Head Man, but whatever.) If you truly want the outside rail, you have to get there early, there's just no other way to do it. Maybe other arenas will have a legitimate numbering system and save other fans the trouble of camping.

Last edited:
Key question: do people in both lines enter simultaneously or do the u2.com members enter first? Important question because:

It seems likely that early in the day, there will be lots more u2.com members present than non-members. If the lines enter simultaneously, would it not be better to line up as a NON-MEMBER (even if you are a member) to be further up in line?

They enter simultaneously, but usually at a rate of 2 to 1 favoring the U2.com members. They will have more doors, turnstiles, gates, whatever open for the U2.com members. Of course it is all relative because many things can hold you up such as being slowly searched, scanned, wristbanded...whatever.

depends

if there was a presale for the show you dont have a presale ticket to, then even if you have proof you are a u2.com member you cant get in the line

if there was no presale for that show, then anybody who proves they are a memeber of u2.com can get in the u2.com line

Chizip said:
depends

if there was a presale for the show you dont have a presale ticket to, then even if you have proof you are a u2.com member you cant get in the line

if there was no presale for that show, then anybody who proves they are a memeber of u2.com can get in the u2.com line

And you are positive of this or you believe that's how it works ? Do you know of people who were not allowed in the U2.com line at a presale show even with proof of membership ?

well i was at the first san diego show, and you had to have the "FAN" on your ga ticket to get into the presale line

for the second show, since there was no presale for it, you could use your u2.com id card or print out your profile page for proof

i dont know if theyve changed it since then, but i assume thats still how it works

cmb737 said:

2. Membership ID Card
3. Keychain

Thanks a lot! That is some great info. Well, I fairly sure that we won't show up at 9am like I originally planned. I think 4pm should suffice. That way we can still make a partial day to check out the city. After all, we're driving 14hrs. Might as well see some of Vancouver.

Back
Top Bottom