From ZooTV to Vertigo - A Setlist Analysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mofo said:

Besides Bruce is playing solo/acoustic which is way easier to come up with any song and he is playing in small venues

True, but during The Rising tour with the E Street Band, they were pulling out all kinds of songs there too.

A U2 acoustic tour....wow, that would be something, wouldn't it?

Muad'zin said:
See or hear more then one show and you find yourself thinking during the big Africa speeches: F*** Africa. Its Africa, dying is what they are good for.

I see a round of scathing responses coming your way, and you will most definitely deserve it.

Critiquing that part of the show is one thing - saying that millions of people are good for dying is way out of line.

:down:

Last edited:
Yahweh said:
U2 is playing Vertigo twice because that is what they did in the old days when they ran out of new songs to play on both the Boy and October tours they played more then one song twice...its just a symbol of them embrassing their roots and why they wanted to join a band in the first place, unfortunatly as most things it probably goes over a lot of peoples heads.

I don't think it goes over most people's heads - I just think they don't like the second Vertigo, regardless of the historic symbol of playing a song twice in the same show.

People complain too much. 99% of the people complaining about the set weren't at the show. So why even care?

I understand if, say, you went to two shows and had the same set. (I experienced that myself actually, although of course they played Original of the Species in Milan, making that 25 songs.) I don't complain at all.
The four shows I saw gave me the summer of my life. Of course I'm a bit disappointed I never got to hear Until The End Of The World, but instead I heard Miss Sarajevo, a song I'd considered as totally left out forever by U2. I've heard The Electric Co., Zoo Station, Where The Streets Have No Name, I Will Follow at each show. But I don't care. The experience is so great that I couldn't care less what they play (to a certain extinct of course). Of course hearing Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses in Dublin was amazing, but I doubt the experience would be less fantastic if they played All I Want Is You. The only people that this "stale set" affects is the people going to EACH show or something like that.
I dunno what you do at concerts, but I scream, jump, dance, sing along, cry, and smile. I am in ecstasy. And I weren't in less ecstasy at my fourth show. And more importantly: If the set doesn't change it doesn't affect me. I am happy when I go to see U2. Are you telling me that you wouldn't be happy because you think the set is stale?
Come on. I talk to much, but my point is this: It's U2. They're touring. You're at their concert. Enjoy it, or give the ticket to someone who deserves it.

Another thing: I am sick and tired of Miss Sarajevo being bashed. I reckon this song as ten times better than With Or Without You for instance. A song that most of you think should be played at each show.
If you ask Axver he'd probably want 40 at each show.
Well there are some of us that'd want Miss Sarajevo at each show. It's my Streets, let's put it that way.
So quit complaining about a concert that you didn't attend, complain the day you actually heard it.

Last remark: Vertigo 2 rocks. It rocks so much that it's scary. Vertigo 2 > any song from the encores.
Vertigo 2 is the bomb. Vertigo 2 is hip. Whatever you wanna call it, it's great and they should keep it for each show for the rest of the tour in my opinion. Especially non-U2 fans finds this great in my experience.

Sorry for being a bit angry, but this setlist-bashing has become a bore.

Muad'zin said:
See or hear more then one show and you find yourself thinking during the big Africa speeches: F*** Africa. Its Africa, dying is what they are good for.

I can't believe ANYONE would have the gall or sheer idiocy to say that. I'm sorry, but I've lost all the respect I have for you. That comment is simply deplorable.

I saw three shows. The Africa speeches were just part of the show, and a damn fantastic part at that.

Also, :up: to God Part III.

God Part III said:

Hey, no need to be sorry. Different viewpoints on different subjects is the point.

This is why I was demonstrating the difference between the Vertigo tour and the others. ZooTV had the least changed setlist, yet is considered the best one out of the last four. But with Vertigo, despite actually having more songs used, there have been several complaints. So I was trying to determine if it was merely the setlist or something greater, such as the production of the show, that was causing this imbalance. People contradict themselves when they complain about the setlists but then say ZooTV was the greatest tour ever, don't you think? So perhaps the whole ZooTV concept plays a part. Or, as has been stated, we just complain more in this day and age. :wink:

phanan said:

A U2 acoustic tour....wow, that would be something, wouldn't it?

Yeah, it would be something to avoid.

Muad´zin... WTF happened when you wrote that??

Good post God Part III!

I honestly believe most of the people moaning are people that haven't seen many shows, if any at all. I think they join setlist parties and knock concerts just by seeing a list of songs. They are upset because their next bootleg wont have some unreleased gem on it. Get over it! This is a rock and roll show, all the rest (setlist parties, internet, bootlegs) is just a product of a band playing live in front of an audience, who in the main think it's one of the greatest things they ever saw. I sometimes think that certain people would prefer to sit in front of their PC with a bootleg on knocking U2 than actually going to see them.

And some of us who havn´t seen a show are not serious when we complain about a setlist.... And most people should know that by now.

yimou said:

Yeah, it would be something to avoid.

Muad´zin... WTF happened when you wrote that??

He became mentaly disabled completely for about 5 minutes...:|
at least I hope it was 5 minutes:huh:

I hope you are right Zwervers,,

So are you leaving us soon? I mean with the return of your loved one?

yimou said:
And some of us who havn´t seen a show are not serious when we complain about a setlist.... And most people should know that by now.

precisely

By the way: I'm getting sick and tired of that remark about how most people who complain haven't been to a concert at all..

Hello Hello WAKE UP please!!!

yimou said:
I hope you are right Zwervers,,

So are you leaving us soon? I mean with the return of your loved one?

I may not be writing much but in mind and spirit you and all the others will always be with me...:wink:

I have decided to cut back a bit on the posting....there is a beautiful (and sometimes an incredibly ugly) world out there to be discovered and I need people around me that's for sure. We will leave together for the Greek Cyclades in september tot travel around a bit and I hope to come back feeling better again..

zwervers2 said:

precisely

By the way: I'm getting sick and tired of that remark about how most people who complain haven't been to a concert at all..

:yes:

Anyway then i dont see how a few complaints can be such a problem. If you like Vertigo2 then good for you. If you think its a stupid idea then so what??. You dont have to go to the show to have an opinion about it.

zwervers2 said:

precisely

if you dont like vertigox2 then you obviously havent experienced it live

cause it rocks and the crowd goes craaaazy :rockon:

Chizip said:

must be because of the lights and stuff:blahblah: :blahblah:

zwervers2 said:

I may not be writing much but in mind and spirit you and all the others will always be with me...:wink:

I have decided to cut back a bit on the posting....there is a beautiful (and sometimes an incredibly ugly) world out there to be discovered and I need people around me that's for sure. We will leave together for the Greek Cyclades in september tot travel around a bit and I hope to come back feeling better again..

:sad: Well as long as its not goodbye

The Greek thing sounds fantastic. I am sure it will do wonders for you and its gonna be great for the two of you to go together :up:

Anyway man, i know its not semi goodbye just yet but i hope you will hold on to my email and keep me updated on whats going on with you. You never know when U2Man and myself will ruin Holland with out horrible behavior. We need you to get us out of trouble :happy:

Ok,, I have to go.. See you later buddy

yimou said:

:sad: Well as long as its not goodbye

The Greek thing sounds fantastic. I am sure it will do wonders for you and its gonna be great for the two of you to go together :up:

Anyway man, i know its not semi goodbye just yet but i hope you will hold on to my email and keep me updated on whats going on with you. You never know when U2Man and myself will ruin Holland with out horrible behavior. We need you to get us out of trouble :happy:

Ok,, I have to go.. See you later buddy

I'll keep you posted! promise:rockon:

do you not enjoy the 2nd vertigo when you're there? Do you leave thinking "I wish they'd gone off with 40"? Not being facetious, just interested...

chrissybaby said:
do you not enjoy the 2nd vertigo when you're there? Do you leave thinking "I wish they'd gone off with 40"? Not being facetious, just interested...

you enjoy the second vertigo of course. but it didnt' feel "real" it's a cool closer but not also a starter. The first Vertigo is a joke compared to the second one but let's not get into that again..:wink:

I wish they would have gone of with bad by the way the second amsterdam show...Chicago IVs ending was perfect...

God Part III said:

If it's such a "bore" to you, why are you reading about it and responding to it? Don't you have anything better to do than complain about complainers who complain, thereby casting yourself a complainer not far removed from the complainers whose complaining you're complaining about?

zwervers2 said:

you enjoy the second vertigo of course. but it didnt' feel "real" it's a cool closer but not also a starter. The first Vertigo is a joke compared to the second one but let's not get into that again..:wink:

I wish they would have gone of with bad by the way the second amsterdam show...Chicago IVs ending was perfect...

True but not sure that it would work in a stadium. People wouldnt be singing down the street 2 hours after the show the lyrics to Bad.

Remember that U2 have to bear in mind the lowest common denominator, thats part of the reason they became the biggest band in the world.

chrissybaby said:

True but not sure that it would work in a stadium. People wouldnt be singing down the street 2 hours after the show the lyrics to Bad.

Remember that U2 have to bear in mind the lowest common denominator, thats part of the reason they became the biggest band in the world.
again hearing everyone singing HELLO HELLO after manchester was just so sureal

Chizip said:

:uhoh: we are actually agreeing again ?

Back
Top Bottom