Four in a row???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
people who say they want more changes in the setlist, okay fair enough. but DONT compare it to last tours, cuz it aint true that there were many changes!!!

Zoo TV: There were as many setlist changes as there are now...and they more or less stuck to the same ones for most of the tour...and when Zooropa came out, they obviously changed it a bit...

Popmart: Alright, except for the first few shows we pretty much heard the same setlist for 1 1/2 years!!!!!!!!!!

Elevation: Great mixups? really? when? night 2 had "11 o clock tick tock//out of control", and everyone would flip. ok. this tour has "whos gonna ride your wild horses" and other old ones...
again, elevation didnt provide great mixups...

Vertigo: lets look at the US Leg --> 3 openers, 3 closers!

and the "mixing it up" part has stayed about the same as it did on elevation tour...though they are playing songs we thought we'd NEVER NEVER NEVER hear again live:

Zoo Station
Electric Co
An Cat dubh/Into the heart
The ocean
Gloria
Whos gonna ride your wild horses

Are you critisizing the setlists for real???

:sigh:

I went to three first leg shows and didn't get to hear WOWY.

But I did get to hear Gloria for the fist time in :coughcough: years! :D

laz, your last post expalined what you were thinking very clearly. I can understand what you mean. I may not agree with it, but I can understand it.

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
just a little evidence for the ones calling them selves "long term fans" but bitching about lack of setlist changes,

ZooTv, LA first leg, night one setlist:Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel Of Harlem-Dancing Queen, Satellite Of Love, Bad-All I Want Is You-Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride, I Still Haven't Found

Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness

night 2 setlist : Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel Of Harlem-Dancing Queen, Satellite Of Love, Bad-All I Want Is You-Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride, I Still Haven't Found

Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness

oh look no changes WHATSOEVER, not even 2 different songs like we are getting now, this happend during popmart also for the majority, so i really dont get why people still seem content to bitch about this, if they didnt do it back then, why would they start now? they just know that there is a very very small % of people that will go to gig after gig

That's really no argument :huh: You're saying because they didn't want to do something in the past or weren't able to - they surely shouldn't do it today. Just why not? For me it's not just about the people who go to multiple gigs, it's about the DVD's too! They sure will contain Bullet, Pride, Streets, New Years Day etc..... We've seen these songs performed soooo many times. I think it would be a disaster if the DVD's of this tour contain these songs but not An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Gloria, OOTS, Wild Horses and more than I cannot remember right now :huh:

martha said:

Why should you expect them to do something they haven't done before?

Read my posts......the longer the time they have existed the more tedious the standard setlists/songs and DVDs will be.

And it's not really about what I EXPECT, it's about what I would really LIKE to see them do.

Last edited:
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: We've had this 'U2 doesn't change the setlist discussion' a hundred times........ I guess we'll jump to the same conclusions every time..
.... I'll see the band for the 16th time this Wednesday... I'm just very happy to see them enter the stage and giving me goosebums...

U2Man said:

Read my posts......the longer the time they have existed the more tedious the standard setlists/songs and DVDs will be.

And it's not really about what I EXPECT, it's about what I would really LIKE to see them do.
yes.... and the said DVD will also include 7 from the new album, plus a few real real rare gems which we never thought would be played again i.e. Zoo Station, electric co, an cat dubh/into the heart, gloria, etc

its getting REALLY old that the same people have to express the same opinion so many times

Zoomerang96 said:
ouizy, how dare you!

true u2 patriots never question the fab four!

their setlists are divine, God has inspired this setlist! remember...he walked into the room, yada yada insert pretentious slash blasphemous bono quote here.

other than the euro stage design, this second leg has been an embarassment in terms of u2 flexing whatever creative will they have left.
do you really need to keep expressing the same opinion time after time after time? we heard you the first time, and guess what its all in your opinion, not mine, i do actually think the setlist is very creative, but hey by the way you speak i dont count right? the only way you will understand someone is if they think the same as you,

oh and since you have expressesd the opinion that your not happy with this tour, why hang round? why not find another thread or section of the forum that you do like? be better for yourself surley? save you having to speak about something you dont like

KUEFC09U2 said:

its getting REALLY old that the same people have to express the same opinion so many times

Quick question.. Are you aware of the fact that you also continue to express the same opinion over and over again?

Whenever somebody have a complaint then you are right there telling them not to. I dont see a difference in what they are doing and what you are doing.

And i am not trying to argue with you again :up:

yimou said:

Quick question.. Are you aware of the fact that you also continue to express the same opinion over and over again?

Whenever somebody have a complaint then you are right there telling them not to. I dont see a difference in what they are doing and what you are doing.

Yimou(the best by the way!!!:up: ) has got a point KUEFC09U2.
When there is a negative post suddenly you appear out of nowhere with defence of the band. Do you have like a alarm or something that goes off everytime a negative post comes by. In that case, your house should be very noisy:wink:

Granted that people don't always care about the visuals, but U2 obviously like putting on a great show, with great visuals and great music. I would think that would have alot to do with them not changing the setlist up drastically.

They have a base setlist, and occassionally they add a song here or there. It works.

And lets not forget party girl. :)

yimou said:

i only started defending when there seemed to be soo much negativity, were every post was against the band,

KUEFC09U2 said:
i only started defending when there seemed to be soo much negativity, were every post was against the band,
KUEFC09U2 you actually do not believe that people have something against the band do you? I question their choices sometimes not the band and their music

zwervers2 said:

KUEFC09U2 you actually do not believe that people have something against the band do you? I question their choices sometimes not the band and their music
well lets look at it this way, since the album name and sleave were released people bitched, when the album came out, people bitched, when the tour name came out, people bitched, when the rehearsals took place, people bitched, opening night, people bitched.

see a pattern here? and guess what, there all mostly the same people doing it

KUEFC09U2 said:
well lets look at it this way, since the album name and sleave were released people bitched, when the album came out, people bitched, when the tour name came out, people bitched, when the rehearsals took place, people bitched, opening night, people bitched.

see a pattern here? and guess what, there all mostly the same people doing it

I can understand it if you get annoyed by bitching but you must also take in account that there are people who love this band and will never stop loving this band and who are a bit annoyed by the latest tour and with that I mean the european leg.
If you say something about vertigo twice the lack of variation you get responses like give me your ticket..Now THAT is bitching.
I for one am glad that this forum isn;t just one big love fest because the guys are far from perfect...I won't stop looking at the setlist with a critical eye. These band are supposed to be the best band in the world, then act like that...and the bys can take critisme otherwise they wouldn't have been this big in the first place...

zwervers2 said:

I can understand it if you get annoyed by bitching but you must also take in account that there are people who love this band and will never stop loving this band and who are a bit annoyed by the latest tour and with that I mean the european leg.
If you say something about vertigo twice the lack of variation you get responses like give me your ticket..Now THAT is bitching.
I for one am glad that this forum isn;t just one big love fest because the guys are far from perfect...I won't stop looking at the setlist with a critical eye. These band are supposed to be the best band in the world, then act like that...and the bys can take critisme otherwise they wouldn't have been this big in the first place...

they are NOT some fragile child that needs protection. I am still waiting for you to say something not so positive about them by the way.. :wink:

1. This is a U2 forum. If we don't bring up the same themes over and over the forum WILL die, as this is only one band and there are only so many things to discuss. It gets boring for those who are here all the time, but maybe that's a sign you need to do something else with your time.

2. The internet was not in wide use until the late 90's, so the static setlists never used to bother anyone because no one knew. The last two tours are criticized to death because of it.

3. U2 is not Bruce Springsteen.

zwervers2 said:

they are NOT some fragile child that needs protection. I am still waiting for you to say something not so positive about them by the way.. :wink:

Maybe if the band played at Anfield we might get a negative from KUEFC...or at leastt some X%$£(&&!! words

KBRY said:

Maybe if the band played at Anfield we might get a negative from KUEFC...or at leastt some X%$£(&&!! words

would be cool if KUEFC09U2 suddenly had doubts about living in Liverpool if they decide to play Anfield..."man maybe I live in the wrong city..."
:wink:

love you KUEFC09U2:wink:

zwervers2 said:

would be cool if KUEFC09U2 suddenly had doubts about living in Liverpool if they decide to play Anfield..."man maybe I live in the wrong city..."
:wink:

love you KUEFC09U2:wink:
thanks

...what a can of worms...

BTW - I should be able to change the title of this thread to 5 in a row.

Well, we got Out of Control in Paris2 - that's a start.

I cannot wait for KUEF to crack and one day just get totally frustrated and say, "Dammit, why does this band keep playing the same songs over and over again..."

oh he won't, if they played 23 Vertigo's he would be happy. he is a true fan like that, we should just be grateful we get to see them.

Chizip said:
oh he won't, if they played 23 Vertigo's he would be happy. he is a true fan like that, we should just be grateful we get to see them.
thats true mate, am no bigger fan than anyone here, but they could have so easily called it quits after the last tour, gone out on a high, they didnt, there still with us, were still graced with there shows

thats all i think of

and no quincy, why would i be worried if they play the same songs every show? i dont go to every show so it wont affect me, i dont see the need to, also dont forget pretty much every show has been in a different city/country this leg, apart from paris and dublin, london, and manchester, and the actual chance of the same people going to both manchester show, well i would say only 20% at most would have went to both

tkramer said:

3. U2 is not Bruce Springsteen.

My reference of Bruce was in part because of the relationship between him and Bono and also to point out an extreme example in terms of mixing up sets. Musically, U2 is not anywhere near as capable as Bruce himself when he is solo or the E Street Band at doing something without rehearsal. That's just a fact, one that the members of U2 would admit in a heartbeat. On the last tour, Bruce took requests from the audience, several times playing songs that hadn't been played since the mid-80s without any rehearsal whatsoever and they sounded great. U2 simply cannot do things like that and they've never done it. And even with rehearsal, it's pretty clear that U2 doesn't feel confident to work up 4 or 5 songs a night. But that's not to say that U2 doesn't need to do a little work for these longer stands coming up. You should not play 7 nights at MSG and not vary the set (and mixing the order only partly counts). The reason Bruce mixes the set up in part is because when he plays long stands, he knows that fans are going to multiple shows. U2 needs to understand that for the fall leg and react accordingly. Back on the Joshua Tree tour, when they played 3 nights in Chicago on the fall leg, shows that I saw, while they didn't overhaul the set, there was at least a decent amount of variation including Spanish Eyes being played the third night. I still don't think that's even enough variation but it would be a tidal wave for this tour.

The second night indicates People Get Ready was played, it was only in part. That was the night Bono was drunk and he couldn't remember the words so they blasted right into Gloria. Also note neither Bad nor New Year's Day was played night 2, which was very unusual on the Joshua Tree tour.

Night 1:
Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Exit, In God's Country, Southern Man, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Help, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride

Encore(s): Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, With or Without You, 40

Night 2: Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Silver And Gold, Out Of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, In God's Country, People Get Ready, Gloria, Pride

Encore(s): Party Girl, With or Without You, 40

Night 3: Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found, Out Of Control, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, In God's Country, Helter Skelter, Help, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride

Encore(s): Party Girl, Spanish Eyes, With or Without You, 40

Last edited:
luckytwn said:

My reference of Bruce was in part because of the relationship between him and Bono and also to point out an extreme example in terms of mixing up sets. Musically, U2 is not anywhere near as capable as Bruce himself when he is solo or the E Street Band at doing something without rehearsal. That's just a fact, one that the members of U2 would admit in a heartbeat. On the last tour, Bruce took requests from the audience, several times playing songs that hadn't been played since the mid-80s without any rehearsal whatsoever and they sounded great. U2 simply cannot do things like that and they've never done it. And even with rehearsal, it's pretty clear that U2 doesn't feel confident to work up 4 or 5 songs a night. But that's not to say that U2 doesn't need to do a little work for these longer stands coming up. You should not play 7 nights at MSG and not vary the set (and mixing the order only partly counts). The reason Bruce mixes the set up in part is because when he plays long stands, he knows that fans are going to multiple shows. U2 needs to understand that for the fall leg and react accordingly. Back on the Joshua Tree tour, when they played 3 nights in Chicago on the fall leg, shows that I saw, while they didn't overhaul the set, there was at least a decent amount of variation including Spanish Eyes being played the third night. I still don't think that's even enough variation but it would be a tidal wave for this tour.

The second night indicates People Get Ready was played, it was only in part. That was the night Bono was drunk and he couldn't remember the words so they blasted right into Gloria. Also note neither Bad nor New Year's Day was played night 2, which was very unusual on the Joshua Tree tour.

Night 1:
Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Exit, In God's Country, Southern Man, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Help, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride

Encore(s): Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, With or Without You, 40

Night 2: Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Silver And Gold, Out Of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, In God's Country, People Get Ready, Gloria, Pride

Encore(s): Party Girl, With or Without You, 40

Night 3: Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found, Out Of Control, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, In God's Country, Helter Skelter, Help, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride

Encore(s): Party Girl, Spanish Eyes, With or Without You, 40
there isnt many that go from show to show, the people on message boards are only a tiny minority

KUEFC09U2 said:
there isnt many that go from show to show, the people on message boards are only a tiny minority

hahaha..you are funny...what do you mean with that and how does that help in your defence (comparing the jt-shows)...confusing confusing

luckytwn said:
My reference of Bruce was in part because of the relationship between him and Bono and also to point out an extreme example in terms of mixing up sets. Musically, U2 is not anywhere near as capable as Bruce himself when he is solo or the E Street Band at doing something without rehearsal. That's just a fact, one that the members of U2 would admit in a heartbeat.

Actually I said U2 isn't Bruce Springsteen because I was just stating the obvious again. (Things that you mentioned in the quote above.) I think people just need to relax, as this band is 25 years along, and have never done the big mix up. They ARE among live rocks' best, but playing a bunch of different songs just isn't one of the reasons they are there. It would probably make them an easy arguement for #1 if they did, but it's not in the cards. Still, I'm not going to shoot people down for wishing they did. Like I said eariler, it's a U2 board, what else we gonna talk about?

KUEFC09U2 said:

That is true when the band is playing one show per city. If you think there aren't a lot of repeat goers for these long stands within the same city then you don't know what you are talking about.

For one thing, Propaganda members were allowed to buy multiple shows so right away the band knows it's biggest fans are going to more than one show at the band's allowance. I know many people who are going to multiple shows within these longer stands.

In fact, the longer stands are caused in part by people buying tickets to multiple shows.

Last edited:
luckytwn said:

That is true when the band is playing one show per city. If you think there aren't a lot of repeat goers for these long stands within the same city then you don't know what you are talking about.

For one thing, Propaganda members were allowed to buy multiple shows so right away the band knows it's biggest fans are going to more than one show at the band's allowance. I know many people who are going to multiple shows within these longer stands.

In fact, the longer stands are caused in part by people buying tickets to multiple shows.
well dosent that then become the fault of the customer rather than the supplier? the people going to multiple dates know what the band are like, and know that they havent got a history for changing there setlist, but they still decide to go to more than 1 show?

Back
Top Bottom