Four in a row???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:
He means that huge productions that required lots of technology, like ZooTV and Popmart forced U2 into static setlists

But I will go even further and say technology has advanced even past that, that now technology is so good that they can use a big production but also use varied setlists. Everything is just programmed onto a computer now and you can change the lights to the songs you need with just a push of a button.

I don't buy it either. Bands way before U2'time would be astonished to see how easy technology has made things for bands today.

Stop complaining about the setlist people, it's a brilliant show. I could listen to these songs 10 times and never get sick of them.

People here waste more time complaining about U2 then they do enjoying the tour, which is a seldom occurance at 4 times a year. Generations to come will WISH they were alive to have a chance to see a U2 gig, and yet people here are whining because they regularly play an unchanged but very good setlist.

yes, let us never discuss the setlist and just be happy we were ever born at all so we can listen to U2

So, it's established that U2 has a pretty steady history of static setlists.

So why the weenie-ing? This is the way the band is. Deal with it. They don't change their setlists much. They haven't before, they won't now.

What makes anybody think a "discussion" that's been had a zillion times before on each tour will say something new?

Because it is a legitimate discussion and maybe the only knock against U2's live shows. It's like a perfect painting with one little smudge. The smudge will create discussion.

But I admit I groaned when I saw this thread and tried to avoid it all together, but somehow I got sucked in. This topic has been beaten to death already.

martha said:
So, it's established that U2 has a pretty steady history of static setlists.

So why the weenie-ing? This is the way the band is. Deal with it. They don't change their setlists much. They haven't before, they won't now.

What makes anybody think a "discussion" that's been had a zillion times before on each tour will say something new?

STOP MAKING SENSE!:mad:

I like a good setlist bitch as much as the next person. But I don't know if I'm gonna get too upset about these shows having the same setlists seeing that they occured right around the time of Live 8 and the G8 Summit and Bono getting stuck in the UK and whatever. The band has been busy and tired and may not have tons of time to practice or add any setlist changes. Add to that the fact the shows were in different cities in different countries, so I don't think we should worry too much...yet :wink:

listen guys we all love U2 we gpt into U2 by the songs they are playing live. right now, just think for a second, someone in the world is going through the same thing we all did. but listening to miracle drug, Zoo Station, Live, they are all having the time of thier lives, we have all been through this, its their turn now, but in honesty they are getting the most kick ass set any of us have gotten, electric co, running to stand still, the fly, elevation, beautiful day. etc, U2 have such a hard job, they are trying to get new fans? who isnt? so they should keep going the way they are, and the so called "die hards" should all understand this, die hard means pretty much loving everything that happens, i am one of those, and i am loving every second

lazarus said:
Isn't it time for the apologists to step up and admit that this unchanging setlist is incredibly lame? Or that With Or Without You shouldn't be a permanent addition? Or that Crumbs not being played is a strange turn of events? Or that Vertigo needs to be alternated as a closer?

Or will they continue to give us a bunch of B.S. about how U2 is playing the perfect show and the perfect setlist and how we should be happy and just shut up?

<the faint bleating of sheep rises in the distance>

laz

I doubt it. They probably have something in their lives more important than U2, or at least a sense of perspective.

As for the "faint bleating of sheep" - don't be so condescending.

If it wasn't for the wealth of regular information over the internet, this whining wouldn't be happening. Some people are living in their heads.

Mirrorball Man said:

I doubt it. They probably have something in their lives more important than U2, or at least a sense of perspective.

As for the "faint bleating of sheep" - don't be so condescending.

If it wasn't for the wealth of regular information over the internet, this whining wouldn't be happening. Some people are living in their heads.
wow never heard it said better "some people are living in there heads"

we all have better things to "worry" about, and we all decide that whatever U2 gives us, is really something we cant get from any other band, a sense of relief from the worry in our everyday lives, U2 being on tour now, is frcikin great

I really don't see what's so bad about hearing the same songs on multiple nights. For example, I heard The Fly three times in Boston, and each performance was incredible; when it was played on the third night, I wasn't thinking "oh dear, I've heard this twice already", I was thinking about how much it rocks live!

Axver said:
I really don't see what's so bad about hearing the same songs on multiple nights. For example, I heard The Fly three times in Boston, and each performance was incredible; when it was played on the third night, I wasn't thinking "oh dear, I've heard this twice already", I was thinking about how much it rocks live!

but what were you thinking when you heard One the 3rd time Axver, be honest now :wink:

4 nights in a row?! why the world is going to end!:angry:

Seriously why do some people keep complaining about something that is not going to change?!:huh:....ive listened to U2 bootlegs from ZooTV, Popmart,Elevation....guess what??...they played the same songs during those concerts too...very little variation.
If you don't like it...thats alright... but stop complaining about it and go listen to something else!:rant:

Rather amusing. I dashed off a message in a minute and I'm being accused of having nothing better to do. You jokers have been carrying on this dialogue for how many pages afterwards? What's worse, wasting time posting about setlist disappointment, or wasting time complaining about said post?

Also, I'm loving how NO ONE has mentioned Crumbs in this discussion, even though it was rehearsed right when they came to Europe. I've said it before: Where the hell is it? The same goes for the lack of other songs. The band is either too lazy or unprepared to play them. You can't apologize both ways.

I called the setlist defenders sheep and apologists. I don't remember saying anyone was a child-murderer or a waste of human existence. If you are defending the band's failure to vary the setlist, you're apologizing for them. And if you're blindly taking whatever the band dishes out and reprimanding people who don't, you're a sheep. If that's your feeling, don't get so defensive about it, just be happy. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Yeah, Lovetown may have been more varied than the subsequent tours. Guess what-- the logistics of ZooTV and Popmart made it more difficult to stray from the script. It doesn't make those tours superior to Elevation or Vertigo, but if these more recent shows are closer in production to Lovetown, why aren't they looser? You're only proving that the band is in a position to play more songs, and they're choosing not to. Or are unable to.

And you know, I wouldn't be complaining so much if some of the "surprises" were rotated more often. 40 was a welcome return, but disappeared. Same with An Cat Dubh. Wild Horses came and went. So did bad. So did UTEOTW. But apparently WOWY has no problem becoming a permanent addition. What the hell is up with that? We're getting 5 songs every night from Joshua Tree and it's really sad. If that doesn't say nostalgia act I don't know what does.

Pull your heads out of your asses and debate the points. Stop calling the detractors bitter or time wasters. All you've said is that U2 has ALWAYS played the same songs, and that they're playing great so we should shut up and be happy. That's not much of an argument, and it's certainly more tired than anything I've been posting.

Ridiculous.

laz

U2Spain said:
One question: do you think that is a question of cities or country to play the same setlist?? Let me explain, next august they come to spain for three gigs ( Barcelona, San Sebastian and Madrid ). Will they repeat the same setlist because are different cities or they will change the setlist because its the same country and many people ( like me ) will attend more than one spanish vertigo gig ??

I think One of those Cities should get "Spanish Eyes" :)
They should be slightly diffrent setlists.

lazarus said:
40 was a welcome return, but disappeared. Same with An Cat Dubh. Wild Horses came and went. So did bad. So did UTEOTW. But apparently WOWY has no problem becoming a permanent addition.

Those sound like setlist changes to me. :shrug: But just not enough of them for you?

lazarus said:

Pull your heads out of your asses and debate the points.

What points?
How can a band with very little history or varying their setlists disappoint? You're expecting something that they very rarely do! Why should they start now? They haven't done it in the past. You might just as well start fussing because they don't spit fire like they did when Gene Simmons was in the band.
What points?

Crumbs hasn't shown up because it's probably difficult to play live. Someone else in another thread brought that up. OOTS was a disaster at Brooklyn Bridge. They had to rework it considerably for it to work live. Maybe they're not that in love with Crumbs. They were tanked when they recorded it, so maybe it doesn't mean that much to them.

If you think they've become a nostalgia act, or that they suck now, what are you clinging to? The greatness that they used to have? :rolleyes:

martha said:

Those sound like setlist changes to me. :shrug: But just not enough of them for you?

What points?
How can a band with very little history or varying their setlists disappoint? You're expecting something that they very rarely do! Why should they start now? They haven't done it in the past. You might just as well start fussing because they don't spit fire like they did when Gene Simmons was in the band.
What points?

Crumbs hasn't shown up because it's probably difficult to play live. Someone else in another thread brought that up. OOTS was a disaster at Brooklyn Bridge. They had to rework it considerably for it to work live. Maybe they're not that in love with Crumbs. They were tanked when they recorded it, so maybe it doesn't mean that much to them.

If I'm not mistaken, Bono is heard saying that it was 'the most important song they've ever written'....that might qualify it.

If you think they've become a nostalgia act, or that they suck now, what are you clinging to? The greatness that they used to have? :rolleyes:

No, they were great in the past and they are great now, - as I said before, we just think they could be even better and do their own material more justice, that's all.

Chizip said:

but what were you thinking when you heard One the 3rd time Axver, be honest now :wink:

:lol: Actually, I think I enjoyed the third One the best.

Martha, I was acknowledging the surprises that came up along the way on the first leg of the tour. I wasn't complaining at all before about the variety of songs. My problem is that those "new" songs disappeared and haven't been coming back! Instead we get WOWY yet again, which has been played into the goddamned ground! At least Bad is a showstopper. 40 was really awesome to hear after such a long absence--where did it go? They think a double dose of Vertigo is a better treat to their paying audience?

Also, we were ALL under the impression that Europe was going to see some new material--wasn't Adam or someone quoted as saying they'd be playing more of the Zooropa/POP stuff? As for Crumbs, you are standing on very weak ground. The Africa situation is REALLY big on Bono's mind right now, so don't think the song is some glorified B-side like Wild Honey. If there's ANY song off the new album that should be getting airplay or stageplay it's Crumbs. It would have been nice to hear leading up to and following the G-8 summit, don't you think? The idea that the band can't play the song because it's too difficult is a laugher. They recorded it drunk, and are seen playing it live on the HTDAAB bonus DVD! I'm sure our resident musicians would be glad to explain how it's not a hard song to pull off. Perhaps they're busy deciding which pre-recorded strings they should use during the performance (is anyone else irritated by the ones they're ruining Miracle Drug with?).

And I don't think they are a nostalgia act. I think playing the selections off Boy has given them a new vitality. But they are veering dangerously close to becoming one if they can't stop paying such nightly tribute to the Joshua Tree, and ignoring two strong (and relatively more recent) albums worth of music. Sure, a tour's not designed for people to sit back and analyze everything that they're playing. But how is this not boring for them? How is Larry not feeling like a jukebox now, something that was weighing on his mind pre-AB?

As someone else said before, I love this band, and I just want to hear MORE MUSIC. Is that a crime? Why do you people defend such lazy and uninspiring choices by the band? Stop being sycophants and imagine the way things COULD be.

laz

martha said:
Seriously, when did the band ever vary the setlists?

Between 21 September 1989 and 10 January 1990. For 111 days (46 concerts) U2 toured, playing 18-20 songs out of a pool of 35 and varying the setlist.

The Vertigo setlist pool is also 35 songs at the moment, IIRC. :)

Axver said:
Oh, and aren't you glad this isn't the first leg of the War Tour?

The exact same setlist (sans snippets) was played at 1983-03-21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, and 28. That's seven shows in a row.

And as for a bit more recent example (although not totally static regarding the setlist): on the Joshua Tree Tour U2 played 13 shows (from 1 to 28 October) in a row with the exact same setlist, give or take 1 song. And yes, there was a string of 5 concerts (1987-10-09, 11, 13, 20, 22) which really had the same 19 songs.

martha said:

Crumbs hasn't shown up because it's probably difficult to play live. Someone else in another thread brought that up. OOTS was a disaster at Brooklyn Bridge. They had to rework it considerably for it to work live.

I remember reading that another band played a song which on their album seemed as if it would be a perfect live song. However, it was apparently hideous when done live, so it got dropped. Perhaps they could have made major changes and made it work, but they chose to focus of other songs instead. I imagine U2 is doing the same with this song.

I don't see that's it's a big deal. There will always be songs which don't get played live.

Originally posted by lazarus As someone else said before, I love this band, and I just want to hear MORE MUSIC. Is that a crime? Why do you people defend such lazy and uninspiring choices by the band? Stop being sycophants and imagine the way things COULD be.

laz [/B]

So what practical steps are you taking?

I would guess most fans at the shows do not go to more than 1 show and don't read the setlists from night 1.

It's funny how last tours get critisised for something U2 has done in vast majority of their touring past. (screens and technology are not an excuse not to pull out older songs, as Elevation and Vertigo demonstrated - unlike some worshipped tours here that were the death of older songs for a good while)
They ALWAYS had a basic setlist with some surprises added. And they always adapted the setlists to playing in stadiums.

Last two tours saw U2 play material they haven't since 1990, B-sides, first two albums, skipping the acoustic set and play less hits than in ages. Varying closers and openers. But I guess it's never enough...

Most fans agree WOWY on this tour sounds better than Popmart and Elevation.
As the band said - via Bono - they want to rehearse Crumbs to make it perfect. Besides there's plenty of time in Europe, back in US, Australia/Japan and anywhere else they may go to add new songs.

JT gets 5 songs, AB got six. Being their most popular albums, it's normal they get played a lot.
As for "playing more songs" Elevation did that.

Last edited:
just a little evidence for the ones calling them selves "long term fans" but bitching about lack of setlist changes,

ZooTv, LA first leg, night one setlist:Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel Of Harlem-Dancing Queen, Satellite Of Love, Bad-All I Want Is You-Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride, I Still Haven't Found

Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness

night 2 setlist : Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel Of Harlem-Dancing Queen, Satellite Of Love, Bad-All I Want Is You-Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride, I Still Haven't Found

Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness

oh look no changes WHATSOEVER, not even 2 different songs like we are getting now, this happend during popmart also for the majority, so i really dont get why people still seem content to bitch about this, if they didnt do it back then, why would they start now? they just know that there is a very very small % of people that will go to gig after gig

I am so glad there is such a fresh topic being discussed here today.

I just wondet why no one is discussing the absence of Crumbs.

Oh wait,that's only been discussed almost daily for the past five weeks.

ouizy, how dare you!

true u2 patriots never question the fab four!

their setlists are divine, God has inspired this setlist! remember...he walked into the room, yada yada insert pretentious slash blasphemous bono quote here.

other than the euro stage design, this second leg has been an embarassment in terms of u2 flexing whatever creative will they have left.

Popmartijn said:
The Vertigo setlist pool is also 35 songs at the moment, IIRC. :)

I've seen U2 over 20 times starting in 1984. I've seen every tour since UF multiple times, I saw the Amnesty tour in '86, I saw them at the Irving Plaza club show on the ATYCLB promo tour, etc.

I think they are a great band. The Joshua Tree tour, which I saw 5 times and when they did vary the set, is one of the best tours I've ever seen and the overall best that wasn't a Springsteen tour. While I think they should have a larger pool of songs, the problem is not that the pool of songs is only 35 songs, it's that so many of those songs have now been repeated for the past 4 tours.

Contrast that with Bruce, who obviously Bono and the boys are close with. On the 99-00 tour he played 120 songs, on the Rising tour he played over a 160 different songs, and on his current solo tour he's already at around 90 different songs after only 34 shows. He has played in total about 250 different songs over the past 3 tours.

Now obviously most acts can't do that but the bottom line is that U2 should be mixing it up more. A key test will be when they return to the States and play longer stands. It's one thing to complain that a show in Paris is the same as NYC. That's not entirely fair since very little of the audience overlaps. However, 7 shows in MSG need to have significant change over the course of the stand. Bruce has played 3 stands in the NYC area since 1999 of 10 shows or more and every night he would work up special stuff just for that show. Clearly U2 is not going to be able to make the shows that distinct, since Bruce was playing about 70-75 different songs over the 10 nights, but there needs to be more of a sense of unpredictability and spontaneity. Especially considering that people will be attending more than one show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom