Floor vs Seats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd45177

Acrobat
I would imagine this has been asked in this forum in the past but I did a quick search and didn't see it clearly spelled out.

My question to the experienced U2 GA concert-goers is this - If you had the opportunity to A) be on the floor with a chance of getting in the ellipse or B) second section back from the front of the stage just a few rows from the floor, what would you do and why? My big fear is not getting in the ellipse and getting stuck at the far end of the floor.

I have Fan Club GA tickets for my wife, son and I but as I posted previously, she doesn't really want to be on the floor. My initial reaction was to obtain a seat for her and my 16 yr old and I would keep the GA tickets, however there is an opportunity to get excellent seats together for all of us.

I had outstanding seats in Pittsburgh, 1st row club seating right next to the stage but I felt a little isolated.

...what to do, what to do?

well... i've been in seats near where you say yours are... and they had an amazing view... but, then again... it doesn't come close to being inside the ellipse.

so if i really had the choice... i'd pick ellipse first, rail outside the ellipse second (meaning you'd have to wait all day and get squished by people behind you, which i doubt your wife wants to do based on what you said), great seats third, GA towards the back of the floor 4th.

I had an excellent seat for my first night in Philly in October, and GA for my second night. I enjoyed the simplicity of having a seat--of being able to have a real dinner before the show, of arriving halfway through Damian Marley's set and not having to fight to hold my spot. I was around a lot of drunk morons who kept making me move so they could make beer runs, but I managed to ignore them and enjoy myself.

Personally, I prefer GA, even though I haven't made it into the ellipse. But, I also prefer going to shows by myself. I went to a show in the spring with a friend who only likes U2 a little, and I kept worrying if she was having a good time in GA. It sounds like you may worry the same way about your wife, and that's ultimately going to take away from your enjoyment of the show.

That's a tough call. It's great to see a U2 show with people that you love, but it's also great to see a U2 show when you're right in the middle of things. If you're going as a family, it might be nice to be able to see the show as a family, too.

I know you wouldn't have a hard time selling GA's on here. In fact, what show is this for? Maybe I can help :wink:

This is the Cleveland show (I heard Pete Townshend say "Hellooooo Cleeeeeeeveland" in 2000).

I know exactly what you mean about the drunk morons. The Pittsburgh show was perfect in every respect, except no "Bad". The people in the seats around me were the most well behaved I have ever been around at a concert. I saw Elton John in Cincinnati last weekend and right in front of us on the floor was a 40'ish looking skank and her boyfriend that were the two most obnoxious people I have ever seen that just about ruined my night.

My 16 yr old son is becoming a U2 fanatic. His very first concert was U2 in Lexington in 2001. The sound at that show was horrible, like being inside a tin can and I can't wait for him to really "hear" U2 live. I know they sound great on this tour and Gund has great accoustics. He's 2nd chair clarinet in his HS Wind Ensemble and has a real love for classical music. Other than U2, the only other rock music he listens to is the Beatles. He has the U2 iPod and the digital box set, and he can tell me every song, in order, on every album. He's really hoping to hear Mofo. Being with him at this concert will be like being with him on top of Baldy Mountain at 12,441 ft. at Philmont, part of our 80 mile backpacking trip this past summer, a lifetime experience.

My wife on the other hand, doesn't share our passion for U2. She first saw them in Columbus in 2000 and while she enjoyed it, she wasn't thrilled like we will be. She's more the Billy Joel, Bette Midler and Harry Connick jr type. We saw Bowie last year in Columbus and I swear, she was the only person that sat down through 80% of the concert.

If I was certain we would get into the ellipse, this wouldn't be an issue. My gut feeling says to go with the seats and keep my wife company. But I'm thinking about how wonderful it would be to be among a large group of U2 fans and closer to the band....arghhhhhh

Last edited:
If you aren't able to spend all day at the venue to get a good spot (if you're not chosen for the ellipse), take the seats. No doubt about it.

In fact, that's exactly the choice I had Tuesday. I took the seats. Really good ones, first row on the side at the mid-point of the ellipse. I wouldn't have traded them for anything outside the ellipse. The regular GA area has looked miserably crowded at the shows I've seen.

i have heard that a lot of people who are with children seem to be able to get into the ellipse even if they don't scan in. i've actually been thinking of trying it myself in salt lake later this year.

sixteen years old, though, i bet he's already pretty tall...but it's worth a try.

here, try this thread

http://forum.interference.com/t143974.html

good luck, and enjoy.

seeing a show through your child's eyes is an awesome experience, isn't it.

Last edited:
GA all the way!

I had traded my comfy seats in Oakland for a pair of floor seats, and although I did not get into the ellipse, I was glad I was on the floor. Room to move and roam is the key. If you like to really get into the show without having to worry about people sitting down around you, the floor is key. Keep in mind though, the ellipse chance is not an option if you arrive after the opening act starts, and if you are smaller than 6 feet, it may be tough to view. But the freedom to jump and dance and spin to the sounds is worth it. Also, the price is right!

Thanks for the reply. I've been following that thread and in fact, I asked if a 16 yr old would fall in that "automatic entry" group and the responses have been mixed. He's 5'11" and 130 lbs, a stringbean.

We have reservations at the Mariott for Friday and Saturday. Our plan was to go to the R&R HOF on Saturday but we were discussing last night that he and I have cold-weather camping experience and we have the gear for it. We thought about camping out Friday night assuring a good spot in or out of the ellipse. And my wife would work with us to keep our place in line allowing us to take breaks and take care of business. But, I was kind of hoping to go to the HOF with him Saturday morning as a build-up to the show. We could go on Sunday but I don't think it would be the same.

Last edited:
Hmmm, based on your second post here, I'd suggest asking your wife if she really wants to go, or if she's just going because you want her to. You and your son seem like you'd be willing to stand in the GA line all day, and do what you have to to get an excellent spot on or near the rail, even if you don't get into the ellipse. And in that case, GA is great. It would probably be one of the most amazing nights of your son's life. But if you're with someone who really doesn't want to be on the floor, it's not going to be as much fun.

Maybe she could bring a friend or relative, and they could get seats? You don't want her to feel left out, but you also want your son to have the best experience he can at the show. :shrug:

yea it sounds like you have a real dilema here...

based on what you said about your son... GA would deffinetly be the way to go with him.

but based on what you said about your wife... seats would deffinetly be the way to go with her.

so... i'm gonna say stick with GA... and explain to your wife that you're donig it for your son. i think she'll be able to suffer through then.

I really wanted to be on the floor when I saw them in Minneapolis, my mom, 53, didn't want to stand for two hours. I would have went NUTS on the floor, I would have probably had over 200 pictures on my camera, had I been on the floor. It would have been amazing, but still, it was a good show despite being in the seats.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Hmmm, based on your second post here, I'd suggest asking your wife if she really wants to go, or if she's just going because you want her to. You and your son seem like you'd be willing to stand in the GA line all day, and do what you have to to get an excellent spot on or near the rail, even if you don't get into the ellipse. And in that case, GA is great. It would probably be one of the most amazing nights of your son's life. But if you're with someone who really doesn't want to be on the floor, it's not going to be as much fun.

Maybe she could bring a friend or relative, and they could get seats? You don't want her to feel left out, but you also want your son to have the best experience he can at the show. :shrug:
I was thinking the same thing.
Perhaps your wife might just not attend, leaving you and your son to do GA.
If she's really not into U2, she won't enjoy the show so much regardless of her seat.
My wife likes rock music with one notable exception, Pearl Jam, my 2nd favorite band. I hve been in the fan club for over a decade and always get great seats for the shows, she always stays home and I take one of my friends.
It just seems that her indifference to U2 may put a downer on your and your son's experience, which would be too bad.

As for the original question, for me, closer is always better, and GA gets you closer, even if you're not in the ellipse.

After talking to my wife and son, my son and I are going for the floor. I asked her if she minded at all being separated, she said "No, not at all. You know me, I'll talk to anyone." So that's that.

Now I just hope my son gets us an automatic entry. Anyone see any teenagers on the floor that didn't make it into the ellipse?

jd45177 said:

Now I just hope my son gets us an automatic entry. Anyone see any teenagers on the floor that didn't make it into the ellipse?

He won't get automatic entry. I've seen an ~11 year old girl, obviously a child, who didn't get in. I also saw a dad and two young boys (looked about 10 and 13) who didn't get in. However, if you don't want to wait in line all day for a rail spot, go to the back and sometimes you can find people with extra wristbands and they will give you some. I did this in Detroit. It was insanely easy. The people are dressed all in black and usually have a radio on their belt. Just ask politely for two extra wristbands. :D

Last edited:
Yesterday a guy was bragging that he got 3 girls into the Ellipse because they were 'hot' :eyebrow:

I sat next to a grandma and her grandsons in the GA line yesterday - the grandma had to be maybe mid 60s but looked young for her age and was probably the most excited out of anybody in the line to be there (it was her first time seeing U2 after being a fan since the 80s). She got a spot about 3 rows back from the tip of the ellipse and I caught her eye before Damian Marley came on and she jumped up and down in excitement. :D I wish I would've seen her after the show to see how blown away she was. :D

Diemen said:
I sat next to a grandma and her grandsons in the GA line yesterday - the grandma had to be maybe mid 60s but looked young for her age and was probably the most excited out of anybody in the line to be there (it was her first time seeing U2 after being a fan since the 80s). She got a spot about 3 rows back from the tip of the ellipse and I caught her eye before Damian Marley came on and she jumped up and down in excitement. :D I wish I would've seen her after the show to see how blown away she was. :D

Aww, that's great :cute: :up:

jd45177 said:
After talking to my wife and son, my son and I are going for the floor. I asked her if she minded at all being separated, she said "No, not at all. You know me, I'll talk to anyone." So that's that.

Good luck. In Boston It seemed to me that all the young kids magically were getting beeped into the ellipse (random my butt), but I'm talking kids who appeared to be 10 and younger, so if there is a bit of nonrandomness at play, I doubt it would work for your son at 16. Nevetheless it still gives you guys about a 20% shot of getting in with one ticket or the other.
If you don't get in or don't secure a good tip spot, you might want to hang by the soundboard and hope for the last minute "upgrade".

Back
Top Bottom