First Dress Rehearsal is Tomorrow.. stage setup should be revealed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
Since I'm reading that the first dress rehearsal gigs are happening as soon as tomorrow, I'm hoping that someone here can finally post some pics of the setup!

Gah indeed. Apparently they're playing in the round at on end of the arena and then I suppose a B-stage at the other with walkway between.

we should def. know by saturday. isn't that when the radio winners attend? if details arent on the net by sat. night, :mad:

i'm most curious about what the set list is going to be like. :wink:

Im not gonna be anywhere on the internet starting tomorrow!! I want to be surprised on Monday night when Im in San Diego!!
Im glad that I wont have online access when Im in SD so I wont hear the stories about Saturday nights rehearsal!!
Gah this is all so exciting!! Its here!!! U2 is coming!!! :hyper:

Well....you know I wont be able to hold out either Reggie :wink:
Atleast not til i get in the car on Saturday morning at 3am to depart for sunny beautiful SAN DIEGO!!!!!!! :combust:

We need to know EVERYTHING! Please, take pen and paper with you as we need to know the exact setlist, length of show, quality of opening act, etc.

:hyper:

Just out of curiosity, anyone in here win tickets to the rehearsal on Sat. night? Steve Jones on Jonesy's Jukebox yesterday was saying Bono and the boys should just open the arena up and let those folks in who couldn't afford to get tix....ha! I like that idea!! He said Bono should continue his humanitarian ways!! :lol:

I heard the stage itself has an opening in it and fans can huddle inside and essentially "be part of the stage.

I have head nothing about a secodn stage. I hear that the "oval" extends quite far across the rink though.

I also heard that the amps were mic'd on the side of the stage, and not actually on the stage. so the stage is very much an open concept stage. if that is true, nobody behind the stage will have an obstructed view.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what is fact and what is rumour.

Hank

HANK CHINASKI said:
I heard the stage itself has an opening in it and fans can huddle inside and essentially "be part of the stage.

What?!? that would be awesome!!! Perhaps this is what Willie was referring to when he said that "anyone in the arena could become a part of the show, even the last row, so comb your hair"... Ie, maybe they'll relocate fans with crappy seats to this "inner sanctum"... that would be quite awesome! (though this is just my imagination running wild!) ;)

Last edited:
RademR said:
we should def. know by saturday. isn't that when the radio winners attend? if details arent on the net by sat. night, :mad:

i'm most curious about what the set list is going to be like. :wink:

According to Paul McGuinness, the dress rehearsals start tomorrow! Here's a snippett:

The next thing for U2 singer Bono, guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr., who have been rehearsing in various locales since last December, is dress rehearsals, McGuinness said. They take place at the L.A. Sports Arena tomorrow, Friday and Saturday nights with some radio contest winners in attendance.

HANK CHINASKI said:

Hank

I think there are A LOT of clues to what the stage and imagery is going to be based on the artwork in the CD booklet and the merchandise being sold on U2.com. ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, all drew from the look and feel of the album art.

I remember reading months ago that Paul McGuiness said something about there being a "special entrance" (or something like that) for people on the floor.

My guess is that the stage will be the red and black bullseye and people will stand where the black rings would be. Therefore it would make it similar to the Elevation heart setup but completely different.

TheFly40 said:

I remember reading months ago that Paul McGuiness said something about there being a "special entrance" (or something like that) for people on the floor.

My guess is that the stage will be the red and black bullseye and people will stand where the black rings would be. Therefore it would make it similar to the Elevation heart setup but completely different.

Never heard the special entrance thing, not sure what that would be?? The stage is basically a regular end stage with a big oval (egg) attached to it. Similiar to the Elevation heart, except a little larger this time. There is little doubt about that aspect of it. Elevation was considered in the round at one end of the arena only also. All that means is that the full stage is visible from all angles. All of U2's arena shows have met this criteria since they began drawing crowds and demand large enough to sellout the entire front of the house and the rear stage in an arena. This tour will be no different.

Blue Room said:

Never heard the special entrance thing, not sure what that would be?? The stage is basically a regular end stage with a big oval (egg) attached to it. Similiar to the Elevation heart, except a little larger this time. There is little doubt about that aspect of it. Elevation was considered in the round at one end of the arena only also. All that means is that the full stage is visible from all angles. All of U2's arena shows have met this criteria since they began drawing crowds and demand large enough to sellout the entire front of the house and the rear stage in an arena. This tour will be no different.

Yeah, but keep in mind there has been no actual image of the stage other than abstract ticketmaster stage drawings which leave much to be desired. They could also be putting that oval design out there as a 'hoax' of sorts, only to blow us away at the first show. It is VERY surprising to me that there has been no leak of the stage; U2 must be paying a lot of people to keep their mouths shut.

I mean come on, you're telling me that not one person at the GM Arena in Vancouver could have snapped a pic of the stage? I assumed that any rehearsal in a venue would have been on the stage that they would be using so they could choreograph each song, etc. (i.e. edge/bono bullfight from elevation)

I agree that the cd packaging must hold clues. Remember the suitcase with the heart on it? I am betting a circular stage with two 'pod-like' platforms on either side that allow 4 sections of GA allowing a better GA experience and removing the 'gotta get in the heart' mentality.

Odds are though that the Oval is the front runner, though.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

Yeah, but keep in mind there has been no actual image of the stage other than abstract ticketmaster stage drawings which leave much to be desired. They could also be putting that oval design out there as a 'hoax' of sorts, only to blow us away at the first show. It is VERY surprising to me that there has been no leak of the stage; U2 must be paying a lot of people to keep their mouths shut.

I mean come on, you're telling me that not one person at the GM Arena in Vancouver could have snapped a pic of the stage? I assumed that any rehearsal in a venue would have been on the stage that they would be using so they could choreograph each song, etc. (i.e. edge/bono bullfight from elevation)

I agree that the cd packaging must hold clues. Remember the suitcase with the heart on it? I am betting a circular stage with two 'pod-like' platforms on either side that allow 4 sections of GA allowing a better GA experience and removing the 'gotta get in the heart' mentality.

Yep. "Oval" is the front runner but I'm shocked that nothing's been confirmed so far. Especially since we're so close to the start of the tour.

*Ally* said:

What?!? that would be awesome!!! Perhaps this is what Willie was referring to when he said that "anyone in the arena could become a part of the show, even the last row, so comb your hair"... Ie, maybe they'll relocate fans with crappy seats to this "inner sanctum"... that would be quite awesome! (though this is just my imagination running wild!) ;)

I wish . That would be cool if I got to be relocated closer.:hyper:

u2wedge said:

Alright, we will see, the pod thing you mention, sorry that was fan rendering and is nowhere near what its going to be. Even Paul says in this article the stage is similiar to Elevation with different production aspects. The TM schematic that appeared briefly is it. I dont think there is a B stage or separate ramp though like the AZ schematic had. I think they were toying with the idea of doing that. It may have fallen through though. We will know after Saturday for sure. THAT would be the only real surprise for me at this point regarding the production. I wish they would do that. Obviously the main stage is going to have the target on it, thats even on the TM schematic.

To the person that said we will know tomorrow. Doubtful, the radio winners are only attending on Saturday. I believe tomorrow and Friday are crew only .

I went last night. The setup is similar to the elevation stage, but not in a heart more of an egg shape.
they handed out creme filled chocolate easter eggs on our way out.

Back
Top Bottom