Farewell U2, Latin America is already missing you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
Yes, our dream is over now and I just realised that. After 8 long years, they came back to this side of the world and played 8 amazing, unforgettable concerts, full of joy and excitement and love and peace. It was a communal experience, shared by thousands of fans, also by the band. We, U2 fans from Latin America, went through hell to see our beloved band live, whether was in Mexico, Brasil, Chile or Argentina. The tickets were very expensive; the organization of the events were far beyond perfection; many people like me had to cross the country to see them; many others had to overcome enourmous difficulties to be there; but it was all worth it and I haven´t seen or heard or read any complaints. To be able to see U2 in all its glory again it´s priceless, something you will carry into your heart for years to come. I just hope they keep us into their hearts as well, and maybe they will be back soon.

For now, I think it´s never too late to say: Muchas gracias U2. Muito obrigada U2. :heart:

MT

Thanks for writing that. After seeing all of the pictures, seeing video clips and a couple of shows (via webcast/torrent), and reading many stories, I commented to a good friend of mine on Thursday night that I don't think U2 will ever skip Latin America again. I really believe that. It seems like they had the time of their lives there and the welcome given to them was unprecendented.

That's the way I saw it anyway.

ramblin rose said:
Thanks for writing that. After seeing all of the pictures, seeing video clips and a couple of shows (via webcast/torrent), and reading many stories, I commented to a good friend of mine on Thursday night that I don't think U2 will ever skip Latin America again. I really believe that. It seems like they had the time of their lives there and the welcome given to them was unprecendented.

That's the way I saw it anyway.

The concerts were special, indeed, and it has ben tough to get back on Earth, really.

And I shoul have said "far from perfection" when I refered to the organization of the events, not "far beyond perfection". Sorry about that.

BrazilianFly, I´m sorry you didn´t make it. Now there´s faith they will come back one day.

MT

Talking about the concerts in South America, especifically, don´t you, south americans here, feel pissed that U2.com hasn´t put on their reviews of the outstanding concerts in São Paulo, Santiago and Buenos Aires so far? The last reviewed were the Monterrey and Mexico ones. There´s something about the first concert in Buenos Aires, but the main focus is the IMAX shooting, not a proper review like they did for every single concert in North America and Europe.

What´s wrong with the U2.com staff? I really wanted to know why our concerts haven´t been reviewed, or even if they will some day.

MT

follower said:
Talking about the concerts in South America, especifically, don´t you, south americans here, feel pissed that U2.com hasn´t put on their reviews of the outstanding concerts in São Paulo, Santiago and Buenos Aires so far? The last reviewed were the Monterrey and Mexico ones. There´s something about the first concert in Buenos Aires, but the main focus is the IMAX shooting, not a proper review like they did for every single concert in North America and Europe.

What´s wrong with the U2.com staff? I really wanted to know why our concerts haven´t been reviewed, or even if they will some day.

MT
The amount of posts from people who are not from South America in this thread should be another indication to you that the rest of the world doesn't give a fuck about us, never did and never will. That's just the way things are. However I think this is already one of U2's best tour legs ever! The amount of happiness by the band members that I've seen in pictures is a beautiful thing. I also do believe that after this tour they will try harder to comeback here! Hopefully it won't take another 8 years. I'm just really glad that they enjoyed the show here that much cause I know that the crowds sure did. :up:

pdvd0121tl.jpg

follower said:
Yes, our dream is over now and I just realised that. After 8 long years, they came back to this side of the world and played 8 amazing, unforgettable concerts, full of joy and excitement and love and peace. It was a communal experience, shared by thousands of fans, also by the band. We, U2 fans from Latin America, went through hell to see our beloved band live, whether was in Mexico, Brasil, Chile or Argentina. The tickets were very expensive; the organization of the events were far beyond perfection; many people like me had to cross the country to see them; many others had to overcome enourmous difficulties to be there; but it was all worth it and I haven´t seen or heard or read any complaints. To be able to see U2 in all its glory again it´s priceless, something you will carry into your heart for years to come. I just hope they keep us into their hearts as well, and maybe they will be back soon.

For now, I think it´s never too late to say: Muchas gracias U2. Muito obrigada U2. :heart:

MT

How fast did the Sao Paulo concerts sellout? Do you know why they did not play Rio this time? Have you ever been to Fortaleza? Do you know if foreign artist ever play concerts in Fortaleza, or is it just primarily Sao Paolo and Rio that get played in Brazil?

I have not heard any boots, but I have to say from reading the setlists, I think the last 8 shows were some of the best shows of this tour.

Mothers of the Disappeared
Love is Blindness

Re: Re: Farewell U2, Latin America is already missing you

STING2 said:

How fast did the Sao Paulo concerts sellout? Do you know why they did not play Rio this time? Have you ever been to Fortaleza? Do you know if foreign artist ever play concerts in Fortaleza, or is it just primarily Sao Paolo and Rio that get played in Brazil?

There were different methods of ticket sales for São Paulo I and São Paulo II. For the first one the tickets could only be purchased in person (the internet sale didn´t work) and only in a few supermaket stores in São Paulo and Rio. It was a complete mess. Reports are that 100 thousand people visited those supermarket stores in Jan 16, looking for tickets, and there were only 73 thousand tickets available. So it was sell out within the day. As it had become clear that the sales were a disaster (and could have been even worse, believe me) the promoters of the brazilian concerts decided to go for a call centre system for the sales of the second concert. The tickets could only be reserved through telephone. Sales began at 4 pm on Sunday, Feb 5. More 73 thousand tickets were gone within 7 hours.

U2 didn´t play Rio this time around because there was no venue available, for Maracanã Stadium has been refurbished to host the Pan American Games next year. Reports are that they were offered Nelson Piquet Autodrome, but they didn accept that. It´s the place where the Rio Popmart concert happened. It´s far from downtown Rio, and they surely didn´t want to risk having the same infamous problems they had in 1998.

About Fortaleza, nope, I´ve never been there. It´s in the opposite side of the country, in the very north, and I live in the very south. I know it´s a very nice city though. And nope, usually foreign artists, at least major acts, only play in São Paulo or Rio. There have been a few exceptions lately though. For instance, The Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam played in my city as well.

MT

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Farewell U2, Latin America is already missing you

follower said:

There were different methods of ticket sales for São Paulo I and São Paulo II. For the first one the tickets could only be purchased in person (the internet sale didn´t work) and only in a few supermaket stores in São Paulo and Rio. It was a complete mess. Reports are that 100 thousand people visited those supermarket stores in Jan 16, looking for tickets, and there were only 73 thousand tickets available. So it was sell out within the day. As it had become clear that the sales were a disaster (and could have been even worse, believe me) the promoters of the brazilian concerts decided to go for a call centre system for the sales of the second concert. The tickets could only be reserved through telephone. Sales began at 4 pm on Sunday, Feb 5. More 73 thousand tickets were gone within 7 hours.

U2 didn´t play Rio this time around because there was no venue available, for Maracanã Stadium has been refurbished to host the Pan American Games next year. Reports are that they were offered Nelson Piquet Autodrome, but they didn accept that. It´s the place where the Rio Popmart concert happened. It´s far from downtown Rio, and they surely didn´t want to risk having the same infamous problems they had in 1998.

About Fortaleza, nope, I´ve never been there. It´s in the opposite side of the country, in the very north, and I live in the very south. I know it´s a very nice city though. And nope, usually foreign artists, at least major acts, only play in São Paulo or Rio. There have been a few exceptions lately though. For instance, The Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam played in my city as well.

MT

Thanks for the info and answering my questions!:up: I think U2 should have played a couple of more shows in Sao Paulo.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Farewell U2, Latin America is already missing you

STING2 said:

Thanks for the info and answering my questions!:up: I think U2 should have played a couple of more shows in Sao Paulo.

I have no doubts about that. I read from several sources that there were around 20 thousand people outside Morumbi Stadium during the 2nd concert, trying to catch some sounding from inside. So you get almost 80 thousand in the stadium and 20 thousand outside. Someone surely underestimated the possibilities here.

Thanks everyone for the comments and best wishes.

MT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Farewell U2, Latin America is already missing you

Someone surely underestimated the possibilities here.

You're right. I'm sure they could've easily sold out at least two more concerts in Brazil. But then again, I'm just glad they came to this part of the world (and generated such amazing bootlegs so that others can try to imagine how we felt).

Yea, U2 we will miss you!! It's been 9 days since the gig and I still feel like heaven... but I'm missing them a lot too!! You know what they say, "too much is not enough" :wink: , but I am grateful that I could egt tickets at least, I talked to a girl at a stationery shop the other day who couldn't get tickets :( Well, at least there's the bootlegs I guess :)

And I REALLY hope they come to South America more often, they surely are very welcome here and I don't know about the othjer shows, but in the first show in Buenos Aires Bono actually cried during WOWY (I was there :hyper: ) and left the stage saying "You are the best" He was evidently very emotional, and I love the band could feel how we feel about them.

Thanks U2 for coming, and please come again soon!! :applaud: :hug: :heart:

I think that if Edge's daughter wasn't sick, they would've scheduled more shows in South America. There was talk of a 3rd show in Argentina, and talk of a Rio show as well. I think that's why they didn't announce any shows after 3/2, and why it took so long to announce the south american leg in general. They didn't know what kind of timeframe they had to work with around her schedule. That's also why they haven't announced the 2nd show in Japan yet, cause I think they knew they were gonna postpone these dates awhile ago.

Anyway, South America your setlists look amazing, I'm glad you guys got to experience the tour also! Unfortunately most of you didn't get to hear "40" as the closer cause it is the best closer ever, but the Argentinians did get Love is Blindness and that makes me jealous!!! I'm sure they'll never skip south america again.

Back
Top Bottom