Faraway, not so close... Disabled people close to U2 stage Petition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dominus

Babyface
Hi,
I'm an italian fan of U2 from U2place.com

Sorry for my bad english.

I'm writing here because we're trying to endorse a petition to U2.

We've called it: Faraway, not so close... Disabled people close to U2 stage Petition to U2.
We think that disabled person are placed in areas too far from the stage.

This is the link where you can read the letter where we explain our thoughts:
www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?disu2

It would be perfect if you can share this information.
I hope you care.
Thanks!

Just signed the petition

Great idea, and i hope you are able to pull this thing off.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

I am a paraplegic wheelchair user and I have been to 3 Vertigo shows this summer (London, Glasgow & Cardiff). I am also going to 2 Madison Sq garden shows in October. The disabled viewing area at London & Cardiff was Ok as it was in the new stands but the viewing area at glasgow was terrible. They placed the wheelchair platform where the goals would be and this gave us a terrible view - remember at Hampden the stage was at the side of the pitch.

I know that there are health and safety issues but they could have placed the platform at a 45 degree angle instead of the almost sideways on view that we had. I've been going to concerts in my chair for over 15 years and it is very annoying when there is no thought put into the needs of disabled fans. On the plus side - I would say that the women organising the disabled seating at London Twickenham was one of the best I've encountered.

I've signed your petition but don't expect U2 to change things - it's a promoter and local stadium issue.

Here in the states it has to do with law, U2 won't be able to do anything to touch it. It all has to do with accesibilty and fire exits.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Here in the states it has to do with law, U2 won't be able to do anything to touch it.

Even in Europe has to do with law, but there are a lot of chance to solve the problem (all legal). You can put disabled people far from the stage or we can just study how to permit even to disabled people to sit near the stage...
We're asking to U2 to issue studies on this road. We think that is possible to permit a better situation.
And if U2 speak up about it.....

Share the news, please.
Sign if you haven't done yet. :yes: :yes:

Definitely a worthy cause indeed :up:.

Unfortunately, I also think it is a supremely local case by case issue. I know the arenas in the US at least all have handicapped seating areas (by law.) I am not sure entirely how to purchase tickets to these specific areas, but I am sure after you purchase a ticket you are granted access (otherwise sick scalpers would purchase handicapped tickets on purpose.)

Now as for the current design, I am absolutely all for the band possibly designating someone on the crew to give the handicapped access to the 'prime' spots. I only fear for their safety as it can get very crowded in GA.

I think in the arena tour - I think it would be fabulous if the band gave anough space to the side of the mix desk for handicapped access as they do for the VIPs.

I dunno - maybe they will give it a shot.

it would be more successful if the petition went after a certain venue, not a band that has no control over it.

Back
Top Bottom