Fan Actions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How ridiculous! As if 60000+ people turning up each night and screaming their hearts out isn't appreciation?
Sorry, next time they tour i'll make sure that nobody gets into the show unless they present a hand written 'thankyou' card for the boys:rolleyes:

Liesje said:

What exactly does that mean? The ratio of people in the crowd: Sydney residents, or it was just the second largest crowd in general?

It means that New York, Milan, Buenos Aires, London, or wherever couldn't manage 200,000 people across three shows, but Dublin did and Sydney either did or got really, really close (I've heard conflicting attendance figures for Sydney that generally add up to around 190,000-210,000, and Dublin had approximately 246,000). I think that's impressive in anyone's language, especially in a country with a population as low as Australia's.

Don't forget that it all had pretty much been done.
A group of us tried to organise something but it couldn't get off the ground.
We tried to think of new ideas, people made suggestions but in the end it had all been done and we didn't think the band needed to see another burst of balloons.

If anyone wants to use my idea for Hawaii..we were going to have red hearts cut out on card and hold them up so there would have been an ellipse full of red hearts.
I thought it would have been nice but it just never got off the ground so to speak.

Feel free to try and do it in Hawaii along with the red clothing thing. It was to support RED and to show our love.

$$$ = appreciation in my book. And that's all any artist really expects, whether writer, musician, or otherwise. It's a huge tribute already when somebody spends money on your work.

Honestly, special displays are like tip jars in coffee bars. There's no obligation on the fans' part -- and why should there be?

Likewise, I don't think the band owes anything more than a good performance. If they choose to sign autographs, pose for pictures, etc., it's great but not required.

Axver said:

It means that New York, Milan, Buenos Aires, London, or wherever couldn't manage 200,000 people across three shows, but Dublin did and Sydney either did or got really, really close (I've heard conflicting attendance figures for Sydney that generally add up to around 190,000-210,000, and Dublin had approximately 246,000). I think that's impressive in anyone's language, especially in a country with a population as low as Australia's.

man... new york sure got screwed :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

man... new york sure got screwed :wink:

I'm waiting for the "New York got fucked" thread. Hurry up already. :tsk:

Okay, I can see why some people might think that paying for a ticket and buying a t-shirt isn't the most heart-felt show of support. There were lots of people at the shows who did that, and who many people here wouldn't consider to be "real" fans because they didn't go that extra yard, or they don't have Passengers, or they only heard the singles on the radio.

I believe Larry has made comments about every fan being valid, regardless of their level of fanaticism.

Consider those that did go the extra yard. They slept out at the venue, or lined up from the crack of dawn. They went to more than one show, which most people don't. Everyone I know who isn't a U2 fan thought I was insane for lining up all day for TWO shows with a GA ticket, and then I told them about my other friends who saw every Australian concert in GA. That's not just someone seeing U2 because they haven't been out here for ages, or because they like Vertigo and Pride. That's a level of dedication that tells of an unusual attachment to the band - dare I call it appreciation.

Then consider those who are not only flying all around their own (very very large) country for the sake of 7 concerts, but to New Zealand and Japan and even Hawaii. That's not cheap, and the people I know who are doing that are not wealthy. They've been saving for a long time, or are getting themselves into debt. They love U2 so much that they don't care. I wish I'd decided to do this a year ago, but I didn't know then what I would be missing out on.

That's appreciation. I'm confident that U2 are very much aware of this - they meet the same fans in different cities all over the world. That must blow their minds.

Add onto that the GA audience all making red hearts, or releasing red balloons, or wearing the same t-shirt, and I grant you, that is an amazing, extraordinary gesture. That goes infinitely above and beyond the usual thing. I don't deny it would have been nice if we'd got something off the ground for the Melbourne shows, or any of the Australian ones. It's a very visual, obvious sign to the band that we love them and we're grateful they came back.

But I think they got the message nonetheless. I saw Bono's and Edge's faces at Melbourne II. I was in the middle of a swell of vocal appreciation that was so loud I couldn't really hear it. Not so visual, but equally obvious in my book.
Those two shows were among the most incredible experiences of my life. Maybe Bono and Edge and the others were all bunging it on, maybe they were bored to tears the whole night and went away after the gig to cry because we didn't all throw red knickers onto the stage to say "thank you".

(Hmm, must remember that for next tour. :hmm: )

So, in conclusion: Mass gestures of thanks by GA crowds are very cool, but I don't think the Australian shows were lessened by the lack of them. We all said "thank you" until we lost our voices.

</soapbox>

Just my opinion... :D

Last edited:
mandy1973 said:
How ridiculous! As if 60000+ people turning up each night and screaming their hearts out isn't appreciation?
Sorry, next time they tour i'll make sure that nobody gets into the show unless they present a hand written 'thankyou' card for the boys:rolleyes:

Well said...

Get off your bloody high horses people & give us a break. who gives a flying crap about what fans are better for what they "DO" at a U2 concert. I paid for tickets, lined up from 9am, went to both shows in melbourne, sang, jumped, danced my arse off etc etc etc, just like everyone else that was there... what more sort of appreciation do you want???

I have been a fan for 17 years, therefore the money I have spent over this time on their stuff, the concerts I have been to & the appreciation I have shown this band is worth it to me. Get a grip on reality

I second that - kudos to Larry.

I'm sure the band is incredibly touched by the amazing devotion of some of their fans. And they're probably equally grateful to be reaching new fans. Let's hope we can all co-exist!

I heard Larry teared up a little when there was no Thank You or Goodbye type display for the band at their last show in Australia. He hadn't been that upset since the beginning of Bad during the Rattle and Hum movie.

Aussie Edge said:

ahem!!!!!

I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying that, and I wasn't quoting Larry directly, obviously.

The word "fan" (in the sense of someone being a fan of a band), is derived from the word "fanatic". Or so I believe - please correct me if I've got that wrong.

I didn't mean to imply that any of the U2 fans are being "fanatical" in a negative, extremist sense of the word.

Apologies for any misunderstandings!

Alison

I think the least all fans should have done is brought a full bottle of one of the band members favourite booze. They wouldn't have had to buy their own for at least a couple of days. What kind of slackers are you people anyway? :mad:

:wink:

Chizip said:
I heard Larry teared up a little when there was no Thank You or Goodbye type display for the band at their last show in Australia. He hadn't been that upset since the beginning of Bad during the Rattle and Hum movie.
Its a musical journey.

Back
Top Bottom