Evidence for Pop section to come?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:

Well they didn't necessarily do 3 Achtung songs during ZooTV set.

I could see them doing Mofo-Discotheque-WOWY, with perhaps a Velvet Dress snippet at the end of Discotheque to segue into WOWY

I think that they did do three Achtung songs at one point.... Zoo Station, The Fly and Mysterious Ways. Although Mysterious mysteriously disappeared... lol

bostonfly said:
Who would have predicted before the tour that the band would include a mini Boy Set, Zoo TV Set and now hopefully POP Set.

As much as we complain about static setlist they really have brought out some songs that some thought would never be played live again.

True that... I never imagined that they would bring out some of those songs.

ramblin rose said:

Well, I've been at business meetings and business dinners all week, so this will be my first setlist party of the 3rd leg.....:hyper: :hyper:

Any good restaurants? :drool:

Hopefully you will get a good impression from this setlist party... since it is Friday night, I will probably not be there.

Zoocoustic said:
Pop failed in the US the same way HTDAAB failed - it's amazing the similiarities:

1) Both had huge lead-off singles which were very successful (and overplayed!)
2) Both albums debuted at #1 on the charts
3) Both had a series of singles after the lead single, which received little or no attention.
4) Both albums went into freefall quickly on the charts and never bounced back or stalled out.

eh, your kinda right there....

I wonder if the next trick in their sleeve in a Zoomerang encore. This would break the other Vertigo Tour taboo: Zooropa

Imagine cities with multiple shows being treated with this:
Zoo TV: Zoo Station->The Fly->WOWY
Popmart: Mofo->Discotheque->Velvet Dress snippet->WOWY
Zoomerang: Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car->Lemon-> WOWY

U2@NYC said:

Let's hope for that, so we do not have to deal with the usual complaints that have been characterizing many of the setlist parties, unfortunately... :up:

As if you never complain mr.! :D

U2@NYC said:

Any good restaurants? :drool:

Hopefully you will get a good impression from this setlist party... since it is Friday night, I will probably not be there.

Have you ever been to a Fogo de Chao?:drool: :drool:

U2@NYC said:

:mad:

U2Man, you are misbehaving, again... do not continue to piss me off. Otherwise, you should watch your back... :shame:

Just pointing out what we all know :shh:

:uhoh:

Zoocoustic said:
Pop failed in the US the same way HTDAAB failed - it's amazing the similiarities:

1) Both had huge lead-off singles which were very successful (and overplayed!)
2) Both albums debuted at #1 on the charts
3) Both had a series of singles after the lead single, which received little or no attention.
4) Both albums went into freefall quickly on the charts and never bounced back or stalled out.

I think you fail to mention that HTDAAB has sold almost 3million in the US..didn't POP stall at about 1-1.2m there?

As this thread in some vague way has relevance to today's set and thus today's setlist party, let me make this post here:

My electricity doesn't appear to be totally stable as we've been having extreme wind gusts. I'm thinking the worst is past but you can never be sure. My power was down for two hours earlier and just briefly dropped out again. If there is no setlist party made in one and a half hours, that is 9am eastern Australian time or 7pm US eastern time, could someone please make it for me? Thank you!

I didn't read the whole thread, but I did read your last post, Axver, and I should be around. I'll keep an eye out. U2wedge said he was going to try and upload pics from the show live to his website, so I will try & check there as well during said party. Hope you can make it :hug:

Lila64 said:
I didn't read the whole thread, but I did read your last post, Axver, and I should be around. I'll keep an eye out. U2wedge said he was going to try and upload pics from the show live to his website, so I will try & check there as well during said party. Hope you can make it :hug:

Thanks! :up: I really want to make this party, considering how interesting 3rd nights tend to be, so I hope the electricity stays stable now.

I'm really hoping this 'Popcore' surfaces. At least Discotheque! By reports, it sounds like it's the best rehearsed of all of the songs, but then again, they surprised us with Miss Sarajevo ...

bostonfly said:
It looks like it could be used at the start of the POP-Encore. Similar to how they use the slot machine now before Zoo Station.

If they are going to do a POP Encore similar to the Zoo TV Encore, what other POP song do you think they will include. You would have to think they would have something besides just Discotheque and Mofo. Have there been any other POP songs rehearsed this tour?

Wow bostonfly, do you have a big picture of the edge wearing that bruins jerseys (and maybe more angles?). I'd really love to see them. If you could email them to me at abdul.ahmad [at] gmail.com it would be wonderful.

GibsonGirl said:
I posted this on my LiveJournal and my LJ friends seemed to think I was on to something...so I think I'll post it here too. :wink: Cut 'n paste time!

During Monday's show in Toronto, I was sitting just behind the electrical equipment and could see all of the computers the crew were using to control the lights, multimedia, and the video screens. There was one particular screen that stood out to me:

videoscreen.jpg

This wasn't used in the show, but it was very curious. It's obviously a video, because you can see the controls below it. (It looks like QuickTime.) And if you'll notice, there is a trolley to the far left...and that red "o" looks familiar. PopMart, anyone? Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but could this be a hint that a Pop section will be added to the tour soon, perhaps replacing the Achtung Baby section? I know it's a stretch, but think about it. There are four images on the video clip, four video screens above the stage. Two of them are easily recognisable Pop symbols. The second image also looks like a bit like a globe/map, which was also used during Pop.

In any case, it just seemed strange to me. Maybe this is the evidence? It would tie up nicely with the rehearsals we've been hearing about. Or maybe I've just "uncovered" something that was known about already. Has anyone seen that screen used in shows prior to this?

Your prediction was genius, given tonight's show in Toronto....nice work Columbo. :up:

Right, so I MUST know - were the images in the photograph I took used prior to Discotheque at all? I have been without the Internet for a little while, so I feel all out of the loop.

yep they were you can actually see them in the first video of it on U2log.com.

Yes, they were used up on the screens. It started with a decibel scale thing and then those images made it as well as the shots of the guys from the Pop album cover.

Awesome, I just downloaded the clips they had posted there. :up: So cool! I much prefer Zoo Station and the Zoo babies, but that really looks cool. I wonder if this PopMart section will replace the Zoo TV section for good, or if they'll alternate?

Back
Top Bottom