Evidence for Pop section to come?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bostonfly said:
I am really looking forward to hearing a POP Encore. But I wonder how many of the "average" fans in attendence will recognize the songs or instead treat them as a break to go to the bathroom.

That is what ruined Electric Co. & An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart for me in Boston. I was surprised at how many people around me did not know the songs so instead decided to talk to each other.

I really would disagree there. While I can't speak for Boston III - during Electric Co. and ACD/ITH, my girlfriend and I were dancing and rocking out together in the ellipse and not taking any notice of the people around us - I was at Boston I in section 307 and everyone around me seemed to be on their feet during The Electric Co., Zoo Station, The Fly, etc. Some seemed a bit reluctant to get up but most I could see were rocking out, like the couple beside me.

I'd definitely say people don't need to know a song to really enjoy it.

Hmmm, that seems like a video they would play during a pop song or a popmart like section of the show. Cool. :drool: I would love to have the rockers back: LNOE, HMTMKMKM, Gone, but I don't think those will come back this tour at least. I could see them playing Mofo with that stuff on the screens thouhg. That would be really cool. :yes:

i can see the zoo tv encore being replaced with the pop visuals (well done for getting this info threadmaker) and "popmuzik" rather than the zoo baby "momma's" so the band can ease into the song a la popmart.

just when i was about to give up on the tour, this has dragged me back in :drool:

I'm very happy to see Your post - this really is a clue and it make sense for POP/POPMART like encore. It would be like dream come true for me: Mofo-Discotheque duo especially in some new reworked arrangements......way to cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice work mate! This definitely looks like a pop encore now! What a cool concept, changing the encores into your best bits from old tours!

really hope they'll add a Pop encore. btw to me the last figure looks like a moon, Discotheque - If You Wear That Velvet Dress perhaps?

Oh my God; this is soooooooooooo cool!:hyper: :hyper:

I never would have expected a Pop set; I mean; I dreamed of one; but never imagined it could really happen! I can't wait until tonights set! :rockon: :rockon: Mooooooffffoooooo and Discotheque :)

Of course; we could be counting our chickens before they have hatched. Ont he other hand though; its sooooooo exciting!! :wink:

Pop was very successful in America, adding songs from POP in the American leg is a brilliant idea.

That would be a great idea indeed, except not having seen a show yet on this tour or any other U2 tour for that matter, I would also love to see the Zoo set.

Besides, let's not all get overly worked up about this, when we're only going by some scanty evidence. I would love to have my predictions proven wrong about what Pop songs have a chance of being played though!

guill said:
Pop was very successful in America, adding songs from POP in the American leg is a brilliant idea.

You're kidding, right?

I love Pop, but...

(Pop is generally recognized as being U2's biggest bust in terms of commercial success in the states.)

Last edited:
Pop failed in the US the same way HTDAAB failed - it's amazing the similiarities:

1) Both had huge lead-off singles which were very successful (and overplayed!)
2) Both albums debuted at #1 on the charts
3) Both had a series of singles after the lead single, which received little or no attention.
4) Both albums went into freefall quickly on the charts and never bounced back or stalled out.

I looooooooooooooove threads like this.

Very cool that you caught that graphic and were able to post it.

I am convinced we will be seeing a POPCORE!!!!

There is no way Willie would be playing around with a graphic of a shopping cart without at least one song coming back. that ismage has been burned into the minds of every U2 fan out there.

Too iconoclastic for him to just 'have' it.

Now it looks like it was grabbed off of one of his two plasma displays. For all you conspiracy theorists out there, I would not be surprised if it was left up intentionally for fans to see.

I think this thread was very well thought out and I imagine the Achtung Baby slot machine wheels will be swapped out for Pop-era slot machine wheels.

All I know is that whatever show they introduce this in, the crowd is going to go bananas.

:up:

c'mon guys...

I really, really choose to believe that this is true and that something awesome is going to happen at the next couple of shows.

Just try not to expect anything in any one particular show. More likely within the next few shows. :wink:

WildHoneyAlways said:

:hyper:

This would rock so hard core I don't know if I'd be able to stand it.

Nice work GG.

I know. Just thinking about that Keyboard riff to Mofo makes me want to cry tears of joy.

(I know, I'm getting carried away; but its freaking POP!)

Zoocoustic said:
Pop failed in the US the same way HTDAAB failed - it's amazing the similiarities:

1) Both had huge lead-off singles which were very successful (and overplayed!)
2) Both albums debuted at #1 on the charts
3) Both had a series of singles after the lead single, which received little or no attention.
4) Both albums went into freefall quickly on the charts and never bounced back or stalled out.

That's interesting. I live in the US but spent most of this summer in England and the album still seemed to be doing very well for it self over there (and I heard CoBL enough times to make me not like the song as much). I hadn't realized it had not done so well over here.

I would say Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own got plenty of attention over here though...plenty of people that I know that only listen to KISSFM and similar stations had heard the song enough times to know the words.

ramblin rose said:
Oh God, tonight's setlist party could be historic.:drool:

Let's hope for that, so we do not have to deal with the usual complaints that have been characterizing many of the setlist parties, unfortunately... :up:

U2@NYC said:

Let's hope for that, so we do not have to deal with the usual complaints that have been characterizing many of the setlist parties, unfortunately... :up:

Well, I've been at business meetings and business dinners all week, so this will be my first setlist party of the 3rd leg.....:hyper: :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom