Engaged couple from 5/9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hluvslmj

The Fly
Congrats to the couple that got engaged in the GA line outside the United Center 5/9. We were standing next to you outside the Ellipse and some guy took you away - did he take you to the Ellipse - did you party with they band afterwards? What happened - anyone know? :huh:

Here's the post

Re: Please Give Engagement Advice for 5/9 Show [Re: szulczewski]

szulczewski
stranger

#768884 - 05/10/05 09:47 PM

Sorry folks just got back tonight. As promised here's how the whole scene went down that day believe it or not. We got to the GA line at 11 am. Thanks to the advice of another fan who said she saw the band show up at 2:30 pm I walked over to the band entrance behind the United Center. I have this awesome painting of Bono that my girlfriend gave me a few years back that I wanted signed. At about 2:45 Edge comes in and the people mobbed him. Couldn't even get close enough to get a picture. Sure enough Bono showed up at around 3 pm. I was able to move up far enough past my girlfriend to get in front of the line while he moved over to sign autographs at the other side of the entrance. There he is standing in front of me when he's coming back to the car and my girlfriend can't here me. Here's how the conversation went...
Byron - Hey Bono will you sign this
Bono - Sure
Byron - Hey can I get engaged on stage?
Bono - When's this?
Byron - Tonight
Bono - I'd like to but I can't because we're filming the DVD.

So I asked the man himself if I could do it on stage but the more important part was getting that painting signed. Red ink...perfect. I understood they were filming the show because there were camera men around taking film of the GA line earlier on that day already and a camera man there when he came out of his car as well. So I'm extatic to get the painting signed and Michele was like I could see you talking to him what did you say. I said I was asking him to listen to my bands CD which as you can see was not part of the conversation. I forgot to give him the CD too. Oh well no big deal I don't write the music for him I write it to get the slivers out of my head.

So we head back over by the GA line. And yes I'm a member obviously but no I was in the regular line even though Ticketmaster screwed up. I'm number 230 by the way. So at about 5:30 the lines are split and the people are finally done criping about the people cutting in line and all the rest. There are now two seperate lines of folks on opposite sides of the street. (standing there thinking we should have just played the worlds largest game of red rover)
I spot one of the camera men that's been haning with the GA line for awhile and ask him if I got engaged right then would he film it for me and send me a copy. He says he'd love to shoot it but isn't sure they will send me the footage because it's property of the company. We had a quick conversation about if she would like the fanfare of all the people cheering afterwords and I thought it'd be perfect. So I say okay let's do it. He follows me over to her in line and I walk up to her and remind her that it is out 8th year anniversary. Then I get down on one knee and say would you do me the honor of marrying me. She was stunned and mouths a yes and we hug and kiss and the fans in line go crazy. Thank you for that all of you who may read this post. Whew the ring fit was all I was thinking. And by the way I apologize to any guy who's significant other said why don't you/ didn't you do it like that. She had no idea whatsoever and it was great.

About 10 mins later the line starts moving and here we go. Up to the ticket guy to run our 1 out of 50 shot to be in the stage. Proceed to the floor said the smart alec little laptop.

Okay I can live with that, we we're there early anyway so we'll be close. So we end up 3 rows of people at the tip of the bomb shelter or elipse for those of you who like geometry. It was a great spot and we were standing there for about an hour or so it seemed. Then out of nowhere I get tapped on the shoulder. It's the camera guy, who I'll leave nameless but was easily one of the most sincere people I've ever met in my life. You have to realize he got through the whole crowd of GA behind us just to get up to us to say anything at all. How he found us is just as mysterious. Kings of Leon hadn't even taken the stage yet. Anyway he says to me that he talked to a security guard and he thinks he can get us in the bomb shelter but he may not be able to and if we don't get in we'd probably loose our nice spot. Even if he can get us in we won't be able to leave and come back. Well I'm thinking I can't leave and come back here either so it's worth the risk. Sure enough we slip by and are now 3 rows behind the front of the stage between Bono and Adams side. Unbelieveable yes but it is true. The show was great and I spent most of the time smiling up at Adam like he smiles with that half smile half frown. It was awesome. One of the coolest parts of the show to me was actually probably a strange one in most people's minds. But I'll tell you all the same. Does anyone remember seeing the sillouette of Adam playing bass behind that bright light in the Rattle and Hum DVD? I can't remember which song it was in the DVD but in any case the light at the show on Monday night lined up perfectly with him for a few moments and I and it felt so surreal.
As we walked around all night right before and after the show we were congratulated by people and I wanted to say thank you for that as well.

The night ended up at a hotel room in the city where my brother had a bottle of champaign and chocolate covered strawberries sent up to the suite before we got to check. Michele has said to me countless times since then that it was all perfect and she is right.

Back
Top Bottom