Ellipse Scanning: What time do they stop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beatlesboy

War Child
Chicago, IL (In the kingdom of South Suburbia!)
I had a GA and arrived at the UC last night for Chicago 2 at around 8:30, U2 came on around 9.

This was my first GA for this tour so I wasn't sure what the exact floor procedure was, though I expected it to pretty much be like Elevation, but I soon found myself on the floor and realized I didn't have the opportunity to be scanned for the ellipse. I went in with the intention of just hanging out in the back of GA since I was arriving so late, but I thought the whole 'random' system for the ellipse was supposed to be applicable to all GAers (even the last ones in)

I asked someone out on the concourse, who had GA, about this and he said they had quit scanning for the pit quite awhile ago.

My question is: Do they quit scanning at a certain time every night, or was this a first?

P.S. It could have had something to do with the video shoot I guess...?

Also some feedback about the procedure from GAers in attendance tonight (Tuesday) would be nice so I'm prepared for the floor on Thursday. Thanks!

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. BUT, on U2.com they say everyone has a chance up to the last person entering (up til show time).
If anyone has paper (emailed) tickets be careful. I read something about this too...
mine were paper and the guy held them up and scanned ours twice each then hit the space bar and said "Nope". Well, hitting that space bar didn't do anything :mad: he was just screwing us over...at least I think so b/c he tried 2x to scan mine before he hit the space bar and said "Nope". I kept asking him to set my ticket flat on the table but he ignored me. I should have complained to someone :mad: :(

If this is in regards to Chicago 2:

the forumlae was adjusted so that the more "hardcore" fans, the 'early birds' -- were given preferential opportunity to enter the ellipse --

do you think they wanted a late, uncaring fan to enter the ellipse and not 'sway to the music' for the DVD?

RealXJT said:
If this is in regards to Chicago 2:

the forumlae was adjusted so that the more "hardcore" fans, the 'early birds' -- were given preferential opportunity to enter the ellipse --

do you think they wanted a late, uncaring fan to enter the ellipse and not 'sway to the music' for the DVD?

I'm gonna ask for a bibliography on this one (i.e. what's your source?)

OffAxis said:

I'm gonna ask for a bibliography on this one (i.e. what's your source?)

haha , truly!

Marketing 101 --

let's be reasonable ,,

spend some time and listen to M.I.A. -- the sri lankan girl from london -- i'm 88% sure that it's on Edge's I-POD
____

"Who put the 'M' in Manchester?"

Last edited:
hluvslmj said:
on U2.com they say everyone has a chance up to the last person entering (up til show time).

That's what I expected... I guess it IS possible that it was full already, but the guy I talked to who was in GA said it ended "a long time ago" and that was at 8:30 pm.

Did they let the 'hardcore' fans in the first for the DVD shoot?

That'd be very amusing if it is indeed the case considering the complete opposite happened in Boston in 2001. :macdevil:

Last edited:
Let's face it, they still haven't got the whole fan priority thing right. (and it's mainly down to the f***k up with ticket sales)

What they should do is just give u2.com members priority, full stop.

I got there at 8:00pm Saturday. No one in line and my friend and I were scanned in. However in Denver I got there a little later and told they were no longer scanning. I don't think there is any kind of routine. By the way I am a "real" fan. I just choose not to stand in line all day. If I get scanned in great. If not, I'm perfectly content to hang out in the back. I was in the back for both Denver's and had just as much fun as I did in the Ellipse Saturday night. Is the view from the ellipse incredible? Yes. But it's not worth all of this obsessing about it. Just have fun.

I arrived at about 8:15 monday, they weren't scanning (I am hardcore, but I am a Dr. and can't leave early some days).
Luckily, I was standing towards the back of GA and a crew member asked me if I wanted to be in the ellipse, after he gave me a wristband, it looked like he had about 20 more to hand out.
I was very lucky to be standing where I was.

So, I guess everyone doesn't have an equal chance and sometimes coincidence and timing are involved.

By the way, the ellipse had a lot of empty space on 5/9. Less than usual.

Heard about that happening a few times. I think this fall I'll continue to not stand in line all day and hang out at the back. Might get lucky.

They were still scanning until at least 8:15 when I went in. The ellipse was not full at that time. At about 8:30 there were two U2 security guards handing out the red bands near the sound board .They must have given out at at least 20.Basically, you could have gotten in even though you did not win at the door.

BOCAGATOR said:
They were still scanning until at least 8:15 when I went in. The ellipse was not full at that time. At about 8:30 there were two U2 security guards handing out the red bands near the sound board .They must have given out at at least 20.Basically, you could have gotten in even though you did not win at the door.

:hmm: Interesting.

So at Springsteen Concerts we term the 2 upgrade guys the men in Black (they always wear black)They go to the Top of the house and prior to the pit days they would get the early arrivals that were in the worst possible nosebleeds and move them to the First row. Bruce never sold out the first row for this reason.

So to be on the Lookout in Boston what did the upgrade guys U2 security ... Look like?

I don't know about the scanning but a friend of mine got into the ellipse even though her ticket didn't beep. She and her friend were dancing around and generally had a good energy so a guard pulled them off the GA floor and into the ellipse.

dsmith2904 said:
I don't know about the scanning but a friend of mine got into the ellipse even though her ticket didn't beep. She and her friend were dancing around and generally had a good energy so a guard pulled them off the GA floor and into the ellipse.
Has anyone gotten in the ellipse this way since Chicago? I heard they're now stamping the hands of people who win the ellipse lottery. If you did get pulled in later by security...did they stamp you? If not, then it makes the whole stamping thing kind of pointless.

No stamping of hands yesterday The ellipse bracelet is reflective when a UV light is used. I don't know if that (the reflective bracelet) has been the case for all shows.

atikicat said:

Has anyone gotten in the ellipse this way since Chicago? I heard they're now stamping the hands of people who win the ellipse lottery. If you did get pulled in later by security...did they stamp you? If not, then it makes the whole stamping thing kind of pointless.

My friend who got into the ellipse after the start of the show got the ellipse wristband and everything so I would think if that happened, hands could be stamped as well.

they stop scanning tickets approx. when kings of leon stop playing... give or take.

and another aprox. little tid bit... if you have a chance to hang around the scanning area and do a little count of beeps vs. non beeps... the numbers 1 out of 6 may be of interest to you...

also they don't have the hand stamp anymore... the ellipse wristband actually lights up when placed under a blacklight. apparently this whole blacklight system came to be after a person who's fairly well known in the u2 "fan community" was caught sneaking into the ellipse... tis the word on the street. (and no i won't name names... just in case i'm wrong with this, i don't want this person to get involved)

Last edited:
I was under the impression (based on the report on u2log) that the hand stamp was added in addition to the bands for the reason you mentioned. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, does anyone think it a tad unfair that they stop scanning tickets after KL and then hand out the left over bands to people at the back of the floor right before U2 comes on...people who already had their chance at the lottery and lost?

If everyone with a GA ticket is suppose to have an equal/fair chance in the lottery, then how is it that some are given no chance and others get two? I understand that they'd stop after the bands ran out, but clearly there are still bands left after they've stopped scanning. Do they assume that people getting there that late just don't deserve the equal chance promised them? Perhaps, but a lottery has nothing to do with how much one deserves to win. It's just dumb luck. Of course if I end up being one of those lucky people at the back of the floor...I won't complain.:wink:

Ellay said:
Let's face it, they still haven't got the whole fan priority thing right. (and it's mainly down to the f***k up with ticket sales)

What they should do is just give u2.com members priority, full stop.

Well, a lot of fans didn't have an extra $40...and also, we all know a lot of those fan club tickets ended up in the hands of scalpers...

The hardcore fans will be the ones who get there early, and however their tickets scan, they'll end up with a good spot. I saw TONS of U2 Midwesters inside and at the tip of the ellipse in Chicago. It looks like it is working out just fine to me....all things considered.

What I don't like, though, are all the celebrities that are getting into the ellipse just cuz they're celebrities...They should just be given reserved seats in the lower tier of the 100 sections, and they should be happy with that.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they stop scanning tickets approx. when kings of leon stop playing... give or take.

and another aprox. little tid bit... if you have a chance to hang around the scanning area and do a little count of beeps vs. non beeps... the numbers 1 out of 6 may be of interest to you...

also they don't have the hand stamp anymore... the ellipse wristband actually lights up when placed under a blacklight. apparently this whole blacklight system came to be after a person who's fairly well known in the u2 "fan community" was caught sneaking into the ellipse... tis the word on the street. (and no i won't name names... just in case i'm wrong with this, i don't want this person to get involved)

That's why I think we should like...stop talking about this out here! If we figure out the system, and one of us gets caught, that'll ruin it for the rest of us lol.

atikicat said:
I was under the impression (based on the report on u2log) that the hand stamp was added in addition to the bands for the reason you mentioned. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, does anyone think it a tad unfair that they stop scanning tickets after KL and then hand out the left over bands to people at the back of the floor right before U2 comes on...people who already had their chance at the lottery and lost?

I don't think it's unfair at all...They're picking people up off the floor, not based on when they got there...But see, here's the thing. The people who work for U2 KNOW when they see a hardcore fan...A computer does not. With the lottery system, anyone can get in, whether they're hardcore or not. So...if members of the crew want to hand out wristbands, I'm all for it.

It sounds to me that local security is told to stop scanning at a certain time, but then if it looks like there is some more room in the ellipse, and whatever celebs that were supposed to be allowed in haven't showed up...then they just give out 20 or so more to fill the space. That especially makes sense if it happened at the Chicago shows, because it was being filmed and so the ellipse needs to look filled up for asthetic purposes. On the 10th, it was much more crowded in there than usual...a lot harder to move around.

But...if it is also happening at other shows...I'm guessing this is their way of sort of...working a loophole in the system so that fans can be given priority....because U2 crew members are cool like that. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think it's unfair at all...They're picking people up off the floor, not based on when they got there...But see, here's the thing. The people who work for U2 KNOW when they see a hardcore fan...A computer does not. With the lottery system, anyone can get in, whether they're hardcore or not. So...if members of the crew want to hand out wristbands, I'm all for it.

It sounds to me that local security is told to stop scanning at a certain time, but then if it looks like there is some more room in the ellipse, and whatever celebs that were supposed to be allowed in haven't showed up...then they just give out 20 or so more to fill the space. That especially makes sense if it happened at the Chicago shows, because it was being filmed and so the ellipse needs to look filled up for asthetic purposes. On the 10th, it was much more crowded in there than usual...a lot harder to move around.

But...if it is also happening at other shows...I'm guessing this is their way of sort of...working a loophole in the system so that fans can be given priority....because U2 crew members are cool like that. ;)

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
From what I've gleaned, the reason it was so full in Chicago is because the band asked the GM of the arena if he could speak to the fire marshall bout letting more people in so it looked fuller....

Said GM, by the way, is an awesome guy. :)

Back
Top Bottom