Ellipse lottery no luck needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reality is that some people have connections, some people are cheating and some people are getting lucky, or, more likely, some combination of those three things. If you have a group of 5 or 6 people attending a bunch of shows together, chances are one of them is going to scan, and we all know that "1 guest" really means "however many people Allison will let in"--I was told of one instance of 7 people getting in on one scan.

I think the worst part about the lottery is that it's been imperfectly and inconsistently administered, and has, obviously, created resentment and anger among the fans so that the assumption is that people who seem to get in more often than not are assumed to have gamed the system. It absolutely sucks to be outside the ellipse and see the same people inside--that was my experience for most of the tour so I totally get where the resentment comes from. At the same time, I got in three times in a row so I'm sure there are people who think I did something shady even though I didn't--I scanned once and my friend scanned the other two times.

One last comment--I think it's unfair to make assumptions about what someone meant when they said "Don't worry, we're in"--like u2forlife, my friends and I said that at every show as a positive thinking exercise--in my experience, it didn't work very well, but I can see how someone hearing that and then seeing us in the ellipse could think the worst even though it would be way off base.

gabrielvox said:
Ok, if it wasn't the flag bearers, which Interferencers WAS it?

Lets get this out, and now, or stop the whining.
Unfortunately Gabriel, I would be really surprised if anyone here is going to print names. Nor do I think it's necessary. The tour is over, there will always be whiners, the lottery sucks, U2 is the best band on earth and Bono is the Person of the YEAR! He should be Person of the Century, but Bob Marley has already coveted that spot :wink:

bradyvox said:
The only way to prevent people lining up all day long is to have a system like Bruce Springsteen has used in the past.

Wrist bands are distributed between 5:00pm and 6:00pm for all GA ticket holders. They are numbered 1-1500 (i.e. floor capacity) in order of when you line up.

At 6:00pm a random number is chosen. If that number is 856, then the person with # 856 is the first person onto the floor. If the "ellipse" (called the pit in Springsteen circles) holds 300, #856-1155 make it in. If you are 1155 and your friends are behind you, I think you can take them in up to a maximum of 2-3 extra I believe....

The only disadvantage of this system is for people who can't make it to the arena before 6pm....but if the system is clearly outlined when you buy your ticket this is not a problem.

I saw Bruce in Detroit and showed up at 4:30pm and was #590 or something like that...# 345 was chosen and I was in luck....

Although in an ideal world people would have the sense to avoid camping out, this will never happen with the current system. In fact, I think this system encourages people to line up more, as they want a front rail spot if they don't get the ellipse. I have heard many fans say this. The hybrid lottery system U2 has adopted is faulty.

Part of the reason it was designed, was to prevent people from lining up and it is clear it failed in that department. It isn't the fans fault this has failed - it is the fault of the system. It sort of succeeded at it's 2nd goal (i.e. having a fresh front row crowd each night). But even then, the first 50 or so get along the front row so any of the die hards that follow the tour and camp out (ie. first 300 in GA line) made it into the front row regularly. I am sure there were alot of familar faces in the front rows throughout the tour despite the system.

I did 6 GAs and got in once. I camped out twice and didn't have any better of a time compared to when I just hung back at the soundboard (Toronto #1, Montreal #1) so I am not an advocate for lining up.

I think U2 should either have a true lottery or stick to the standard system of first come first serve.

Cheers,
Brady

That seems like a very good way of doing things. Maybe next tour U2 can do something similar to it because I don't think they should totally abandon the idea of mixing it up.

u2forlife said:
Unfortunately Gabriel, I would be really surprised if anyone here is going to print names. Nor do I think it's necessary. The tour is over, there will always be whiners, the lottery sucks, U2 is the best band on earth and Bono is the Person of the YEAR! He should be Person of the Century, but Bob Marley has already coveted that spot :wink:

Why not though? People see fit to libel and slander Allison up and down the place...she cant even argue here as she's not a poster. What an easy target.

Seems very childish and cowardly to me. I never got any special treatment from Allison yet I was always chatty with her, and the last time I saw her she gave me a hug and said 'tell me this is your last show!!' - I guess she was getting sick of having to give me a wristband lol..

Call the abusers up onto the roasting spit of Interference. Let's malign them and lash them for abusing the system. Kill the pig! Kill the pig!

:wink:

Bob deserves the title...Bono right next to him as the next in line..

John...Bob...Bono...what a time of man's musical history to live in...I feel lucky..

gabrielvox said:
Call the abusers up onto the roasting spit of Interference. Let's malign them and lash them for abusing the system. Kill the pig! Kill the pig!
Or we could just drop them off on a deserted island, leave them without food or water and film them when they realize there are NO GA tickets on the island. :lmao:

You mean that hug didn't get you on the front rail of the ellipse? All you needed was a whisper. Have you not learnt how to use the system? :madwife:

:wink:

gabrielvox said:

Why not though? People see fit to libel and slander Allison up and down the place...she cant even argue here as she's not a poster. What an easy target.

Seems very childish and cowardly to me. I never got any special treatment from Allison yet I was always chatty with her, and the last time I saw her she gave me a hug and said 'tell me this is your last show!!' - I guess she was getting sick of having to give me a wristband lol..

Not sure if you're referring to my posts or not, but I saw some really bad examples of her behaviour at shows I attended. Glad you had good experiences with her, though. Not everyone did. :shrug: And I think it's fairly clear to anyone who is paying attention that the lottery was not run according to the rules initially set out. And ultimately, she's the one responsible.

I want to clarify something--I think Allison has had a thankless job--it certainly isn't one I would want. She's been excoriated for helping people out; if she wouldn't bend the rules, people bitched about her for following the rules.

She was given a system that probably looked good on paper but didn't take into consideration that human nature is often less than admirable. I suspect the ellipse in Portland will be jam-packed with many faces familiar to the band.

kso said:
I want to clarify something--I think Allison has had a thankless job--it certainly isn't one I would want.

yeah, following u2 around on tour, working for about an hour of the day must really suck, im so glad i dont have that job

kso said:
I suspect the ellipse in Portland will be jam-packed with many faces familiar to the band.

i guess this should upset the band since the lottery was put in place so the band could see new faces, right?

edit... on second thought I deleted my post... stateside tour's over. doesn't matter.

Last edited:
lancerla said:
Re: MysteryGirl

Interesting post. I don't neccessarily disagree with any of it, but I would ask where your policy ends. Do all the 4'11 girls in the back of the GA crowd who can't see over anybody deserve to get in the ellipse so they can see? Do folks who are hearing impaired deserve to have auxillary hearing devices at the show (or should the band play louder or softer depending on their condition)? I don't ask these questions to mock, simply to get a sense of how far you feel U2 and the arenas should go to accomadate fans.
Sorry it took me a while to get back to this...I've been "crammimg for Christmas." :lol: You know, all that last-minute stuff! Anyway, thanks for asking. I get in line EARLY because of my vision so I can get close up - or TRY to. I also need a rail to hang on to because of my poor balance. I have a walker on wheels with a seat that I use when necessary but I try to avoid using it unless absolutely necessary. As for 4'11" ladies, well, as I get there early to try to get close up, so should they. I don't ever intend to get there at the last minute and expect to be let in front of everyone. If the 4'11" girls are in the back of the GA, I would think it's because they didn't get there early like I do. I am relatively short (5'3") but I never thought of that as being a physical challenge, but there's something to think about. My Stepmom is 4'11" and I think she's getting shorter. Hearing impaired? I think that's a good idea! I wonder if there are any hearing-impaired people who have ever brought this up, to have hearing auxiliary hearing devices. There actually is one place here in Nashville that does that! I'm an activist for people with phydical challenges, and not just vision but ALL of them. Two of my best friends are in wheelchairs so I include them in my activist-ness. When I told the guy at Banknorth in Boston that a friend of mine in CA who's in a wheelchair was let up front at a show, he said "We don't do thatr here, that's a fire hazard! I was infuriated! Let him say that to HER face! I work in the fire prevention department, so I have a good amount of knowledge in that area, so no one can give me that excuse and get very far!!! :rolleyes:

As far as who deserves to get in the ellipse, my opinion is simple: The first 300 (or how many they allow) deserve to get intro the ellipse. I stand firm on my feelings that the whole lottery system is crap...and why just us in the USA and Canada? I wonder if they'll do that in Mexico, too.

Incidentally, should they do a stadium tour (which I doubt, but that's beside the point), then I would find it necessary to use the walker. I use it every year at a music fest here in Nashville, after having been knocked over and injured twice. I was bumped into just hard enough to lose my balance, and once I lose my balance, chances are slim that I can get it back.

And that's a country music festival!!! Interesting...because I used to not go to big rock concerts because I was afraid of the mosh pits I would be stuck in the middle of while trying to be close enough to see!! That's why I didn't see U2 until 2001, even though they've been my favorite group since 1983! There are some rock concerts I still won't go to :lol: but so much for the stereotype that country crowds are tamer than rock crowds! :lol:

Bono's Tart said:

I am not harping on although I am just as entitled as you to harp on!!! I am well aware the tour is over I dont want to see this sort of crap happening again.

Solution for you ?

Dont read the thread!!!:rolleyes:

Ok listen, I'm not trying to be rude or whatnot but I'm just stating my opinion. :shrug: There's really no need to eyeroll.

Last edited:
digsy said:

i was in the non-u2.com line and i was one of the flaggers.
bono's tart has laready said she's not talking about us but Lemongrl clearly is so i wanna clear this up a bit.

the conversation you overheard about "don't worry you're in" was regarding the 2 of us who had never been to a US show before. it was agreed (very kindly) amongst this large group of 14 of us that if anyone scanned in they would pull me or the other girl in before anyone else as we had never been before. So it was really a reassurance that "dont worry, out of all of us you guys are in first if we scan". and luckily for me my friend ahead of me scanned VERTIGO and pulled me in with her!
amazing the yarns you can spin from picking up snippets of anothers conversation.:eyebrow:

and the next night we weren't all even in the ellipse as far as i know, let alone the front row so that goes against any theories that allison let us in.
i think maybe because so many faces were familiar in the ellipse on night 2 form the 1st night, that you're presuming it was all one big bunch of us while in fact there wre probably 3-4 different sets of people who were in the ellipse both nights so it's unfair to lay the blame at the feet of one specific group.

and really, most of us aren't exactly what i would call concert regulars either. in fact a lot of us had travelled from Europe just for these shows and for several of us it was our first and only american shows. so its unfair to link us in to your theory that regulars who know staff took your ellipse spot because in our case (the flag group) thats clearly not the story at all.

I agree this thread needs to come to an end, but I just wanted to clarify something that I didn't do in my previous post, which I apologize about. I wasn't talking about the entire Flag ship group. I should have said that I was referring to a few. I was actually very happy to see that you guys all got in that night, I know that many of you came along way to be at that show. What you guys did created such a nice moment during One, it was really great.
What I was upset about was the second night when I saw the same group of people that have been to many shows everywhere, it was one of those people who turned and said it to the person behind them, which was also one of the regulars I was referring too. And the comment that I heard clearly was "don't worry, we're all in AGAIN" and this was said with a smirk after she had just spoken to Allison.
All in all they were excellent shows and I was happy to be there, but the lottery system doesn't work. Some fans cheat the system and others get cheated by it. Let's all hope that they stick to first come first serve on the next tour.

Bono's Tart said:

I rest my case!!!

These "fans" did exactly the same thing on the second night in Boston as well they were front rail yet again!!!
But it didnt work with Bono on the 2nd night as he ignored every attempt!!

Very sad state of affairs but maybe in 4 years time when they tour again they will Groupie another band ... here's hoping!!!!!!:|
Groupies = :barf:

There were a couple of 'em to my left Boston 12/5. :rolleyes: I put a stop to one of 'em's arm-flailing!

I agree with all of this. I went 6 shows, all GA and didn't get in the ellipse once. But, I saw some people at all those shows get in everytime. I think I am going to write U2's management about this and how it is unfair. I thought the point was so that the same people were not in the front of the stage every night. Well that is what is happening!

I know this is probably pointless, but I feel the need for my own sake to throw in my two cents about all this GA ellipse whining crap!

People need to have some perspective on things and learn to be happy to just be in the damn building seeing a show! I'm so tired of people whining about how imperfect the system is.

I agree that in some ways it doesn't work well. I have health problems and phsyical limitations that prevent me from even being able to have a chance to be in GA. The system isn't perfect and it never will be.

But if you paid your money for a ticket and you were in the building seeing a really good show, you got what you paid for. There are no guarantees in life, learn to appreciate the good things and stop worrying about what everyone else got.

Back
Top Bottom