Ellipse cut off time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdmack

The Fly
Did anyone else know that if you get to the show after the first act starts you have no chance to get into the ellipse?

that sucked

They keep scanning until they hit their predetermined number. As a result, not only does it vary arena to arena, it varies show to show. For example, I scanned into the ellipse on 10/14 a bit after 8:30. However, when I arrived at 8:10 for the 10/10 show, they had stopped scanning. (Both shows were at MSG.)

For Los Angeles on 11/2, I went in at 7:20 and they had already stopped scanning.

it'd really infuriating! crew member told me they are definitely filling the ellipse earlier, so as others have pointed out, the cut-off is earlier. What pisses me off is that they don't tell fans that there is a chance they might not have an opportunity to get into the ellipse, though that is the understanding when you buy a GA.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Clear Channel has done such a poor job of managing these shows :down:

ruffian said:
it'd really infuriating! crew member told me they are definitely filling the ellipse earlier, so as others have pointed out, the cut-off is earlier. What pisses me off is that they don't tell fans that there is a chance they might not have an opportunity to get into the ellipse, though that is the understanding when you buy a GA.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Clear Channel has done such a poor job of managing these shows :down:

to me it's just common sense that if you get to the show after the opening act, that chances for a good spot on the floor are exponentially reduced.

If they cut off the scanning early, I am just going to ask my waitress(Alison) for a martini on the outside part of the ellipse. :D

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

to me it's just common sense that if you get to the show after the opening act, that chances for a good spot on the floor are exponentially reduced.

but things shouldn't be left to common sense--Clear Channel should make policies more transparent to fans. People assume they have a shot at the ellipse with a GA ticket regardless. People hand out wristbands at the soundboard, but that hasn't been publicized by U2 or Clear Channel. On this tour, I think U2 got in bed with big business, and most fans have really been disappointed in how the GA policies have been handled.

at philly 4 they stopped at 7:15. it was great.... just kidding, wish i could have gotten off of work that day, so i didn't have to stand next to the drunkest person ever....

still a great show, got to see the first time.

ruffian said:

but things shouldn't be left to common sense--Clear Channel should make policies more transparent to fans. People assume they have a shot at the ellipse with a GA ticket regardless. People hand out wristbands at the soundboard, but that hasn't been publicized by U2 or Clear Channel. On this tour, I think U2 got in bed with big business, and most fans have really been disappointed in how the GA policies have been handled.

U2 has been big business since the Joshua Tree tour. Things shouldn't be left to common sense? What kind of logic is that? :wink: But then again, I'm on interference.com where spending 24 hours in line come hell or high water is considered healthy living. :lmao: People who have GA tickets DO have a shot at the ellipse. They have to get to the show on time, though! What are you saying, that someone who shows up at 9 o'clock in the evening should still have the opportunity to be scanned into the ellipse? Isn't that contradictory to the first come first served mantra that is preached here by so many? I've said before that they could have the scanners running until the show ends, but they'd just all scan 'proceed to floor' after the ellipse is full. People would be pissed about that, too. The only people upset with the GA policy are the first 400 people in line who would have gotten into the ellipse via the old policy. The 1600 fans who are behind them now have the shot that they've always wanted and, quite frankly, are the majority in this equation.

:hug:

Ruffian, how many shows have you had GA for and how many times have you gotten into the ellipse.

I'm 1 for 2.

Last edited:
when I said common sense I guess what I meant is that there isn't an explicit policy. People have the understanding that when they buy a GA they should have a shot at getting the ellipse...and the issue with this tour is that it *isn't* first come-first served on this tour due to the lottery system. It is now random selection to get into the ellipse. If they are going to quit scanning at a certain hour, then be consistent in that and communicate to fans what time that might be...or even communicate something like "no guarantees you will get in if you arrive after 6:30." Instead, nothing is said about it. And really, the addition of Clear Channel has made things different and more bureaucratic on this tour. They could do so much more to take charge of how GA lines will be run, what the line-up procedure is, etc. Instead we have to re-invent the wheel at every venue.

to answer the ellipse question--on the first leg I went to 16 shows, I think and got into the ellipse twice. Neither time did my ticket scan. I've been to 12 shows on this leg and have gotten into the ellipse at least 6 of those times. Got wristbands from someone at the soundboard twice, my own ticket got selected twice, and the other times I got in with friends who won.

It seems to me that on the first leg the first 50 people in line rarely got in the ellipse. Since they have decided to fill the ellipse earlier I've seen many more fans get in out of that first 50 in line (which is where I always am).

Back
Top Bottom