Elevation vs. Vertigo...which is the better tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whatever the case, the fact that THE FIRST TIME and DISCOTHEQUE are the only 90's non-achtung U2 songs is a TRAGEDY.

We need:

Lemon
Dirty Day
Stay
Mofo
Staring At The Sun
Please
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Sweetest Thing
Even Better Than The Real Thing

and

MORE DISCOTHEQUE!!!

djerdap said:
When I Look at the World was played to Bad chords and half of the song was missing. That fact alone counts the song as a snippet.

Right. WILATW - even though a lot was sung - was included as part of the Bad --> Streets transition. It wasn't sung as an independent song. (That's also why I exclude Peace On Earth, as it wasn't sung independently but as a lead-in to Walk On.)

Clawgrabber said:
axver, help me out...

On elevation, when did they play:

In God's Country
Slow Dancing
Spanish Eyes
Two Shots Of Happy

In God's Country - three shows at the end of the third leg, the first being the Phoenix show on 2001-11-23.
Slow Dancing - Larry's birthday in Providence.
Spanish Eyes - Barcelona gig on 2001-08-08.
Two Shots Of Happy - It was snippeted at the start and finish of Stay on 2001-08-05 in Antwerp.

Anyway, what constitutes a full version of a song as opposed to a snippet.

A snippet is a song sung within another where the snippeted song is put to the other's music and/or not sung independently. As for the difference between abbreviated and full versions of songs, you really just need to use some common sense and good judgement. I consider NYD's live performances to be 'in full' despite the lackage of the last verse (I've a recording where half is sung, but not all), but AIWIY on Popmart was quite clearly an abbreviated performance.

I love the hell out of both tours, but I THINK (it's hard to remember actually and time may just be playing tricks on me when you look back at things, they always seem better than they were) I liked ELEVATION better.

I loved the way the tour opened with them just walking onto the stage WITHOUT the lights going down and started to play.

The stage setup was amazing and Vertigo is more of the same (still great, but the first time wins it for me).

I loved Streets more on Elevation as it was even more powerful.

The time in my life, graduating college, 9/11. It was just the perfect album, at the perfect time.

And I loved WALK ON as the closer.

And although I love both albums, I think I feel more connected to ATYCLB. Kite, Walk On, BD, Stuck, In A Little While, Elevation... I can't get enough of those.

Elevation just felt like it had more HEART than Vertigo.

Just to be clear, it''s not hands down for me. It's like a 10 to a 9.8.

I'm so glad I got to see both tours.

really to me. each U2 tour has its bad and its good, i dont feel the need to compare them, but i do feel the need to celebrate the fact that they are on tour again... all i know is one song (new song at that) has gave me a feeling a i have NEVER feeling at a U2 show before (once popmart and once elevation) and that is the feeling os CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS, it really is the new streets imo, and watching it back on the san sebastian DVD, and the version i have from the upcoming chigago dvd gives me chills

Vertigo because they play better songs.

And really, despite everything, that is all that counts.

dammit!!!!!! it's just so hard to choose!!!!!!!!! i was at vertigo:wink: :drool: , but the elevation tour was the first to have all the stuff that vertigo has (catwalk, screens).

it's just so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :shrug: :yikes: :uhoh:

Comparing Elevation to Vertigo because of the ellipse is like comparing Popmart to ZooTV because they both had a screen. It's just not the same.

That said...wow, Elevation loses this one big time. Elevation strikes me (at least after the first half of the first leg) as a very "safe" tour. Vertigo, they're playing whatever the heck they want to (An Cat Dubh? The First Time? Fast Cars?), and looking like they really enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong, Elevation was great for what it was (U2 getting their place back), but I like what Vertigo is better.

Back
Top Bottom