Elevation or Vertigo - Which Tour Do You Prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Tour Do You Prefer? (Setlist, etc.)

• Elevation

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • Vertigo

Votes: 31 39.2%
  • I like them both equally

Votes: 19 24.1%

• Total voters

Miggy D

War Child
Having recently come back from the SJ2 show, I must say that it was a great performance. Bono's voice was great, and the band was in top form. The inclusion of a full-band OOTS was a special treat (I was at SJ2 in 2001 when they played Kite for the first time - U2 loves the Bay Area, apparently), and Mysterious Ways brought the house down (even though I missed Zoo Station).

Having now seen both Vertigo and Elevation, I am trying to figure out which concert I prefer. They were both great vocally and musically, so it mostly comes down to the setlist. Well, that and the alterations to WTSHNN. :)

To those of you who've seen both - which concert do you prefer, and why? Is it simply the setlist, or are there other reasons?

To those who haven't seen Vertigo yet - what do you think of the setlists you've seen so far? Vertigo's setlist is solidfying, with only a few changes here and there to a mostly static line-up. What are your thoughts? What do you think about this new setlist compared to Elevation's?

-Miggy D

Elevation seemed to have more heart (and no.. im not talking about the heart shaped catwalk)

Its pretty obvious that even the band is not content with the setlist they are using for this Vertigo tour. The setlist seems awkward, where as the Elevation setlist fit like a glove.

it really amazes me that not even 10 shows in and people are saying they prefer one over the other

I went to Elevation SJ1&2 in April 2001 and those were awesome shows, some of the best of the tour. I went to SJ1 on Vertigo and it was good but not at the level of Elevation (yet). There was some acoustic issues (heavy bass) that drowned out Bono's voice sometimes and the crowd not really into it. The 2nd shows are generally better so I cannot comment on Sj2. Got to remember they were already a few months into the tour when they came to SJ in 2001 and only 6 shows in on Vertigo, so I will hold off any final decisions until they come back in the fall, but this tour has the potential to be great just like elevation. I like the setlist better on Vertigo, its the order I think they need to tweek a bit.

I attended SJ1 and I agree....I think Elevaton had a better 'feel' to it. That's not to say with a little tweaking, and a few more shows under their belt, that this tour can't be as great.

SJ2 in 2001 was still the BEST U2 show I have ever seen.

Vertigo has a monster riff
plus any song where the edge screams in spanish is ok in my book

Me Gusta Vertigo

I have to say Vertigo. I was front row at third leg phoenix for elevation and front row Staples 1 this tour. I think that the setlist probably has the most to do with it. I also feel like the entire band is a little more into this show than elevation. Larry and Adam seem to be into it a lot more, possibly due to bigger roles. But hey, both shows were pretty damn cool.

shifty24 said:
I have to say Vertigo. I was front row at third leg phoenix for elevation and front row Staples 1 this tour. I think that the setlist probably has the most to do with it. I also feel like the entire band is a little more into this show than elevation. Larry and Adam seem to be into it a lot more, possibly due to bigger roles. But hey, both shows were pretty damn cool.
am just shocked that people are going for which tour is the best, when we havent even reached the 10th vertigo show as of yet, how cant anyone say that elevation was the better tour when its 113 shows to vertigos 6

It would help if I read the thread title properly...i thought we were talking song. oops:reject:

well, i haven't seen the new tour yet, so i'll hold off on judging.

I'll let you know after i experience Vertigo for myself at the Vancouver shows.

Vertigo for me - and I saw 3 Elevation shows and have the DVD's etc. The main difference for me is Bono's voice - he just sounded bad during the Elevation tour (in my opinion) - on this tour, he voice sounds as great as it should for a man of his age. Plus I feel like U2 is sounding the most like U2 since the JT tour.

Law of diminishing returns. Elevation was my first U2 experience and my first GA experience. How can you top that? I'm already into my 5th U2 show and they're awesome but the element of surprise is not as evident as before...the more you're exposed to something, you get used to it unfortunately.

I prefer the Elevation setlists too...and I like the heart and the fact that there was no ellipse policy back then.

i think this Vertigo production blows away the elevation tour. Elevation was stripped down, and those songs don't hold a candle to the new stuff.
This tour production is excellent. City of Blinding Lights is a joyous spectacle... like a NYEve celebration.

Well i voted for Vertigo ...and i haven't even seen it yet.. only heard it...lol
Saw Elevation 3 times...i still like Elevation tho don't get me wrong.
But i don't know i'm really enjoying every show i've heard so far...maybe its the newness or maybe i feel U2 deprived for 3 years...But i'm loving this tour...Bonos voice is great, the shows seem fun...and i found a really great message board to share it with ...which i didn't have back when Elevation was going on :dance:

Both. I finally saw my first show of this tour this weekend (SJ #1), and I was blown away by the guys yet again. :love: At one point I turned to Sicy and said, "I can't believe they're in their mid-40's!"

Elevation has a slight edge for me just because I saw it 4 times and there are the DVDs and boots of course, but give this one time, we're only a few weeks in. ;)

Last edited:
So far, having heard concerts from both tours (although i haven't seen them live on the vertigo tour yet) i absolutely love them both. Im finding it tough to choose between either of them, but i like the fact that they are re-visiting more songs from the Boy album in the Vertigo tour.

KUEFC09U2 said:
it really amazes me that not even 10 shows in and people are saying they prefer one over the other

Why are you amazed. The people who have actually SEEN a show are really the best ones to make the comparison.

You think I should wait until 30 shows in to decide if the show I saw a week ago was better than the one I saw 4 years ago even though I won't actually see any more Vertigo 1st leg shows ?

So far, apart from Bono's voice, I give the edge (no pun intended) to Vertigo.

If Vertigo keeps progressing the way it is going, it may become one of my top three tours.

At this point, it's definitely better than Elevation:
- Better setlists
- Better opening songs
- Better closer
- The band are on fire
- Bono's voice is better
- No acoustic set!
- THE ELECTRIC CO.!

well since vertigo = elevation 2 ill have to say they are equally good :wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Both. I finally saw my first show of this tour this weekend (SJ #1), and I was blown away by the guys yet again. :love: At one point I turned to Sicy and said, "I can't believe they're in their mid-40's!"

Elevation has a slight edge for me just because I saw it 4 times and there are the DVDs and boots of course, but give this one time, we're only a few weeks in. ;)

April's got a good point....we've had over four years to cuddle up with our warm and fuzzy Elevation memories. Given some time Vertigo will do the same.

Axver said:
If Vertigo keeps progressing the way it is going, it may become one of my top three tours.

At this point, it's definitely better than Elevation:

- Bono's voice is better

Have you heard the bootlegs? Bono talks his way through so many of the songs. They can't even perform some of the songs in the original key.

Bono's voice is already a mess and we're only a few weeks into the tour.

just by listening to the boots and seeing the varied setlist, i would have to say this tour is much stronger. they're also touring for a stronger album.

i'll tell you my final answer after i actually see the show in person.

TheFly40 said:

Have you heard the bootlegs? Bono talks his way through so many of the songs. They can't even perform some of the songs in the original key.

Bono's voice is already a mess and we're only a few weeks into the tour.

Are you sure you're listening to the same bootlegs? Bono's singing Beautiful Day far better than he ever did on Elevation, he's nailing Pride like he hasn't for at least a decade, he's hitting the big SYCMIOYO note and holding it consistently night after night, and so on - this is absolutely the best his voice has sounded since ZooTV. I am very impressed.

Back
Top Bottom