Ebay Guitar pick Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kellyahern said:
It's kind of like paying for an autograph. What meaning does it have unless you got it yourself or someone you know got it for you?
I don't understand this either... It wouldn't have any value to me if I didn't get this from the bandmember myself!

I have a nice story about this :

In the Million Dollar Hotel period, Bono once opened a Anton Corbijn exposition in Groningen (Holland) once, and I got myself tickets for this opening (I told the organizer that I was journalist) and got in!

There I was able to snatch Bono's autograph (on the cover of a vinyl Pop LP with a black marker), just like 20 other fans. Nothing really special and Bono did this really quick...

Later when I was listening to Howie B (he was doing the music at the bar section) I saw Adam Clayton walking around! It was unannounced that he would be there and since there only were Dutch celebs and journalists there, he wasn't really noticed until I saw him!

I walked towards him and introduced myself in a calm way. It was very cool, he actually was surprised that he got noticed but talked to me for about five minutes! I was actually talking to Adam while drinking a beer together! How cool is that!

At the end of this conversation I asked him if he wanted to sign the Pop LP too, which he wanted (of course). It was his idea to sign the cover of disc 1 which was a large Pop photo of him and signed the dark photo with a specially bought fine white marker...

This one :
images

He asked my name to make this a special signature just for me, he signed "From Adam Clayton, for Niels" and adressed me that he often does this because people sometimes asks him to sign various items and he than knows that these items might end up on Ebay...

Very proud of this autograph of course, but even more proud of the fact that I got to talk to Adam while drinking a beer with him, listening to Howie B (live!) :drool: :wink:

Last edited:
Neilz said:

He asked my name to make this a special signature just for me, he signed "From Adam Clayton, for Niels" and adressed me that he often does this because people sometimes asks him to sign various items and he than knows that these items might end up on Ebay...

cool story! :up: adam also asked for my name before signing my Angel of Harlem LP a few years ago, but i never thought about why he signed it that way... now it makes perfect sense! :wink:

I can't beleive this auction is now at $154. I have one, but would never part with it. I, also, have a green Herdim that Bono uses.

My best win is one of Edge's blue Herdim picks that he actually used. I was front row in front of Edge on the second show in Boston in October. I play guitar and have bought a bunch of these Herdims that Edge uses. After the first encore, Edge came down to the front and I held up my pick. He took it, looked at it, laughed, then reached in his back pocket and exchanged it for the pick that he just used. It has signs of wear on it. So, I have his used pick, and I would like to think that he eventually used the pick that I gave him that night.

AughrimFurey said:

My best win is one of Edge's blue Herdim picks that he actually used. I was front row in front of Edge on the second show in Boston in October. I play guitar and have bought a bunch of these Herdims that Edge uses. After the first encore, Edge came down to the front and I held up my pick. He took it, looked at it, laughed, then reached in his back pocket and exchanged it for the pick that he just used. It has signs of wear on it. So, I have his used pick, and I would like to think that he eventually used the pick that I gave him that night.

That's awesome! :up:

See, I could never see how anyone would want to part with something like that.

AughrimFurey said:
Nice story, but I don't think Edge used your pick really... Edge uses a new pick on every song and get's all his tour guitars restringed every night... A spoiled guitarist never uses a pick twice :wink:

No need to piss on my circus ;)
Ya, he probably didn't use it. But it is a nice thought to think that he did. It was a fresh, new pick that I handed him, so ...

Dallas tossed me one of the blue picks as he came around the ellipse before the second Oakland show. I totally didn't expect it cause I was just casually smiling at him while everyone around me was reaching out and asking for a pick. He looked right at me, smiled back and then tossed the pick to me.

When he did his second "lap" around, he winked at my friend and tossed her one of the black Vertigo picks. Unfortunately, it landed on the ground and an ass venue security guy, who happened to be walking by, picked it up and threw it into the crowd. The security guy who was stationed at the tip of the ellipse even got mad at him cause he'd seen that Dallas meant to give it to my friend. Oh well, what can you do?

I love my pick but would not spend a couple of hundred dollars for one on ebay. Unless the guitar player was attached to it, that is.:drool:

The main point is that its free and its given out as a souvenir for enjoying the show. Not to insult Dallas and make money off him. 2 people on ebay that have followed the tour have been selling picks that Dallas gives out since the Madison Square Garden shows in October. One of the sellers is from Phoenix, AZ . You just do not put that in the auction that you obtained it the other night being front row for the concert and Dallas handed it to you.:mad:

Super_Fan said:
The main point is that its free and its given out as a souvenir for enjoying the show. Not to insult Dallas and make money off him. 2 people on ebay that have followed the tour have been selling picks that Dallas gives out since the Madison Square Garden shows in October. One of the sellers is from Phoenix, AZ . You just do not put that in the auction that you obtained it the other night being front row for the concert and Dallas handed it to you.:mad:

In principle, you're right but people will do anything to make a buck (or $150 in this case)!

Super_Fan said:

Once Dallas gives it out though it is up to the individual to do whatever they want with it. He gave out a ton in Boston. He went down the whole front row. If he truly feels that way he should only give them out to people he know or fans he recoginizes or speaks to. If he just sticks them in anybody's hand that is standing at the rail at the end of the show then it is a bit unreasonable to think that some wont end up on Ebay. Also, A lot of picks end up on Ebay from crew members who grab stuff off the stage at the end of the show. It's not all fans who got them from Dallas (although some are)

Like I said in a previous post...seeing this pick go for $150 I will mostly likely sell the two I have and go to the Buffalo show. Basically all the money I make is going back to the band (no that it really matters). The picks mean nothing to me and the shows mean everything. Its not a hard decision for me.

Bottom line is, the Edge only uses the blue Herdim picks.

Neilz said:

PS; any Edge guitar fanatic must know the U2soundsite? It's offline rightnow but in the late 90's, founder The Phaser had a big U2 sound community where these kind of things were discussed... This pick (the Herdim), a large headstock Strat, a 60's Vox AC-30 and a Korg SDD-3000 make the signature sound... Anyone from the U2sound community here?

i know the forum is still up somewhere. . . i bet you could find it with a google search.

AughrimFurey said:

now that is something special! if i ever get GAs to a U2 show, i'll bring one and hope he notices.

btw they really are the best picks ever made, no question. use them normally or back-asswardsly like the Edge, they're still the most awesome picks in history.

Last edited:
Bob Dylan fired a roadie in the 80's for taking 6 of his picks.

I also heard a story from the Elevation tour of somebody who went to 12 straight shows from inside the heart with a "can I have your pick". On the 13th show Edge just gave him, via Dallas, so they would stop. Some have argued this may have been a reason for the ellipse lottery.

If anybody thinks Edge is being over zealous with his 'sound', Jeff Beck secretly developed a guitar tuning technique in the early 70's. His instrument would rarely go out of tune no matter how much he bent the strings. Nearly 35 years later, only a handful of people know the trick, without it being public knowledge.

I've got a Bowie bootleg from 2000 where he says " I only use Vivien Westwood picks".

My favourite story revolves around Cheap Trick(a solid rock band)where their guitar player has many novelty guitars and throws at least 100 picks out into the audience. Several fans close to the stage were so innundated they started throwing them back onstage.

u2fp

AughrimFurey said:
The new U2 Sound is a forum now. I am a member of it - you can find it here:
http://www.u2sound-forum.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

Is this Phaser's? Cause the U2sound.com / U2sound.de site went to black all in the sudden (many years back)...

Talking about the U2 sound; Anyone interested in a Korg A3 (Thé Mysterious Ways sound) or a 1972 Vox AC-30? I'm selling in Holland...

Sold my precious SDD-3000 a month ago :sad: :wink:

Working a Bob Dylan show in November of 2002, his guitar tech at the time has on one side in one of his guitar cases a wall filled with guitar picks especially from other bands that he has played with. Their glued to the case.

U2FanPeter said:
Bob Dylan fired a roadie in the 80's for taking 6 of his picks.

I also heard a story from the Elevation tour of somebody who went to 12 straight shows from inside the heart with a "can I have your pick". On the 13th show Edge just gave him, via Dallas, so they would stop. Some have argued this may have been a reason for the ellipse lottery.

If anybody thinks Edge is being over zealous with his 'sound', Jeff Beck secretly developed a guitar tuning technique in the early 70's. His instrument would rarely go out of tune no matter how much he bent the strings. Nearly 35 years later, only a handful of people know the trick, without it being public knowledge.

I've got a Bowie bootleg from 2000 where he says " I only use Vivien Westwood picks".

My favourite story revolves around Cheap Trick(a solid rock band)where their guitar player has many novelty guitars and throws at least 100 picks out into the audience. Several fans close to the stage were so innundated they started throwing them back onstage.

u2fp

? What the F%$k are you talking about? Piano? You smoking something? Its a guitar road case that holds guitars, strings, and other miscellanous equipment for the show to go on.

Back
Top Bottom