DVD for concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dobro815

The Fly
I hope that they film the dvd at Madison Square Garden this year, at least the American concert. I have the concert on cd from the Elevation Tour, its incredible, and better than the boston concert which they filmed. I'd also like them to release something along the lines of the Slane Castle concert. Maybe a Stadium in Europe, where you have 100,000 screaming fans. I just listened to Slane Castle on my home theater system at full blast, i felt like i was there (an i didn't have to sign up for a membership, worry about getting tickets, or complain about touts).

If they film MSG, it would be in the fall. I think the band wants to warm up and get the first leg over with before they film anything (considering not as many dates as Elevation). MSG would be amazing, they always put on a show in NY and it's about time they release something from this legendary venue.

Something outisde america would be nice for a change.
Maybe something for Australia.....for example a mix of all the shows....
example:
Vertigo (Melbourne)
ABOY (Melbourne)
Miracle Drug (Melbourne)
UTEOTW (Sydney)

ect ect.......

I personaly would like something like that....Its like Matchbox Twentys 'Live From Australia' Video.
Which is is mostly concert fottage and some little bits of the band on the road.....Something like that would be great. IMO

bono_man2002 said:
Something outisde america would be nice for a change.
Maybe something for Australia.....for example a mix of all the shows....
example:
Vertigo (Melbourne)
ABOY (Melbourne)
Miracle Drug (Melbourne)
UTEOTW (Sydney)

ect ect.......

I personaly would like something like that....Its like Matchbox Twentys 'Live From Australia' Video.
Which is is mostly concert fottage and some little bits of the band on the road.....Something like that would be great. IMO

For a change? ZOO TV live video was Sydney and Popmart was Mexico City!

I'm torn. I would love for them to film the DVD at MSG because there's a good chance I'll be there, but MSG shows are notorious for being loaded with corporate execs, industry people and other passive "fans". The show can be a little stiff.

I've read a number of interviews where the band says all the hype and excitement about the NYC shows sometimes overwhelms them and they don't always play their best.

BUT they also said one of the highlights of their career was playing MSG post 9/11.

I am going to the MSG show and I would love them to film the DVD there, I just hope they don't 'select' people to be in the 'egg' or around the 'egg'. Yeah, you are right, probably will be loaded with corporate execs and non-diehard U2 fans. but i will make up for that, don't you worry.

TheFly40 said:
I'm torn. I would love for them to film the DVD at MSG because there's a good chance I'll be there, but MSG shows are notorious for being loaded with corporate execs, industry people and other passive "fans". The show can be a little stiff.

I've read a number of interviews where the band says all the hype and excitement about the NYC shows sometimes overwhelms them and they don't always play their best.

BUT they also said one of the highlights of their career was playing MSG post 9/11.

On the Boston DVD Making Of documentary, right at the end, the guy comments how U2 went on after Boston to play a couple of shows at MSG (June 01). He says that the first night (17th June) was considered by the band to be not only one of the best shows of the Elevation tour but of any they've ever played. I took note of this because I was there and have to say it was a stunning show. I'm sure in the past they may have been a little overwhelmed at MSG but on this occasion, not so.

I hope whatever show they decide to release, they use the complete show and don't edit it all over the place like they did with boston. Also I hope it's not a constand "bono-cam" and we get some wide-angle shots and shots of the rest of the band too. I think it would be best to film a couple of shows, like say the chicago shows, and then pick the best one to release. IMO 2001-06-06 was not the best of the 4 Boston gigs; I'd have liked them to film all the shows, pick the best one (6-9? in that case), and release it.

I have read that the 10/24/01 MSG show was probably the most emotional show they have ever played at the garden, seeing that it was right after 9/11... but you are right, call it mystique or aura, msg seems to be a special place for concerts. why do you think i didn't reject the nosebleeds i got through the presale? But I have to admit, if I had money or an extra presale code to kill.... U2 in Dublin or the Slane shows would have been maybe better to be at, that crowd on the Slane DVD was awesome. Of course, though everyone knows that New York fans are the best when it comes to support... and rejection for that matter.:wink:

dobro815 said:
I hope that they film the dvd at Madison Square Garden this year, at least the American concert. I have the concert on cd from the Elevation Tour, its incredible, and better than the boston concert which they filmed. I'd also like them to release something along the lines of the Slane Castle concert. Maybe a Stadium in Europe, where you have 100,000 screaming fans. I just listened to Slane Castle on my home theater system at full blast, i felt like i was there (an i didn't have to sign up for a membership, worry about getting tickets, or complain about touts).
That sounds good i wanna listen to slane on home cinema. Where can u get cd of MSG gig from Elevation?

there are rumours that the dvd will be filmed in chicago on the 7th may.... maybe they will do a first leg and 4th leg dvd this time..

yeah, I was at the 10/24 show. I still get chills when I listen to the bootleg. Its a night I'll never forget.

i got that one on cd too,10/24, its awesome. chicago 5/7 huh??? well, i may be at that one too. too bad it might be behind the stage.

I'm pretty sure they'll bring out a stadium DVD and an arena DVD, if what McGinuess said is true, they'll be two very different experiences and it'd make sense to have seperate DVD's.

I'd prefer it if it was a double pack than two sepertate one's like Boston and Slane. Do something like The Stones did with their last tour on DVD.

So basically, when will we officially know when the DVD is going to be filmed... I assume it will be when we are at the concert. That was interesting though that they told us on our ticket orders for MSG to be there an hour early for 'security' reasons.

CTU2fan said:
I hope whatever show they decide to release, they use the complete show and don't edit it all over the place like they did with boston. Also I hope it's not a constand "bono-cam" and we get some wide-angle shots and shots of the rest of the band too. I think it would be best to film a couple of shows, like say the chicago shows, and then pick the best one to release. IMO 2001-06-06 was not the best of the 4 Boston gigs; I'd have liked them to film all the shows, pick the best one (6-9? in that case), and release it.

I m still waiting for the option on DVD's where can select which band member you want to look at, and then I could figure out alot more of the edges guitar techniques and what not!

macphisto23 said:
I m still waiting for the option on DVD's where can select which band member you want to look at
Before the Boston DVD was released I remember reading that one of the special features was going to be the option to select who to watch. Guess not.

Last edited:
norsehorse23 said:
So basically, when will we officially know when the DVD is going to be filmed... I assume it will be when we are at the concert. That was interesting though that they told us on our ticket orders for MSG to be there an hour early for 'security' reasons.

I think you'll know beforehand. During Elevation it was known that Boston would be filmed.

learn2kneel said:

I have GA for this show... where did you hear this rumor

supposedly a source that works on the lighting crew. the company he works for has been told that it is going to be filmed for release. but before you get too excited he was a friend of a friend posting on zootopia.

Our local magazine posted McGuiness said the DVD would be filmed either in Europe or the second US leg. :shrug:
(that magazine was the first place where I read the 23/24 Nov release date for HTDAAB)

Last edited:
They should definitely film at MSG!! It's a wonderful venue!

And they should do a show at MSG full of true U2 FANS (a la Pearl Jam), not execs. and "passive" U2 'fans' who don't even know the lyrics to the songs...

THAT would be a crazy DVD!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if they cut the GA floor in half like they did for the boston DVDs, then screw it... film in some crappy place like denver.
:lol: thanks...i think they took your advice and that's why i got shut out in the general sale this morning. jerk.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom