Do you think the Edge ever gets pissed at Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
timothius said:
On the origional post... I've noticed he has started making a lot of mistakes this tour.

I think there are multiple factors...

1) The bringing back of a lot of older songs
2) The lengthening gap between tours (Dec 2001 -> March 2005)
3) His waining interest in the "musical aspect" of his role in U2.

Interesting points, especially #3. Has it gotten to the point for Bono where saving the world is Bono's full time job and rock star is his side job? Does he spend more time these days flying around, meeting leaders, and doing things to help his political causes more than the time he spends trying to memorize lyrics and getting the songs down perfect? If so, then I'd think you'd have to say Bono the rockstar has taken a backseat to Bono the humanitarian. And if this is true will people be OK with Bono using U2 more as a tool to get his message out than putting on a great rock show?

interesting things to think about...

Chizip said:

Interesting points, especially #3. Has it gotten to the point for Bono where saving the world is Bono's full time job and rock star is his side job? Does he spend more time these days flying around, meeting leaders, and doing things to help his political causes more than the time he spends trying to memorize lyrics and getting the songs down perfect? If so, then I'd think you'd have to say Bono the rockstar has taken a backseat to Bono the humanitarian. And if this is true will people be OK with Bono using U2 more as a tool to get his message out than putting on a great rock show?

interesting things to think about...

:yes:

I read a quote last year somthing along the lines of "Nowadays I hardly ever wake up thinking about being a member of the band, I wake up thinking of fatherhood, world hunger [enter Bono's crusades here]". Reading it I found myself slightly let down.

I don't doubt for a minute that when he is on the stage he isn't trying his hardest to make each night an awesome experience. But I do think that this reduced interest in the band & its direction manifests itself in other areas rehersals, setlist preperation & songwriting - which all directly & indirectly affect the live performance.

Just an observation, I have never have (and on balance never will) see them live. :shrug:

In answer to your questions my responses are:

Yes. Yes. Yes. U2's main live market would appear 18-45 year olds in Western Europe/"Blue States & Cities" in North America, who tend agree with a lot of what Bono says, and I would dare say they feel they are actively doing good by attending a U2 concert. This"fast-food" approach to social justice is pretty appealing to a lot of todays youth, but I do think that it irritates a few of the diehards.

Last edited:
timothius said:

Yes. Yes. Yes. U2's main live market would appear 18-45 year olds in Western Europe/"Blue States & Cities" in North America, who tend agree with a lot of what Bono says, and I would dare say they feel they are actively doing good by attending a U2 concert. This"fast-food" approach to social justice is pretty appealing to a lot of todays youth, but I do think that it irritates a few of the diehards.

Dont know about Europe, but you are WAY off with North America. People go to see U2 here because they think or have heard they are great live band they are not thinking its social justice??? :huh: 95% of your crowd in N. America is going to have fun, nothing more.

Blue Room said:

Dont know about Europe, but you are WAY off with North America. People go to see U2 here because they think or have heard they are great live band they are not thinking its social justice??? :huh: 95% of your crowd in N. America is going to have fun, nothing more.

What!?!?!?!?! Don't bring us down here! Are you saying that 95% of the American U2 fans are not paying for/going to a U2 concert in order to save the planet? My oh my, guess we should have known :tsk:

:wink:

Hewson said:
I know at the SuperBowl in 2002, Edge was pissed at Bono for convincing him to bet the band's paycheck from the NFL and Fox on the Rams.

well bledsoe does have the superior long pass

Blue Room said:

That wasn't my point. My point was that after attending a U2 concert many people feel that they have done somthing inherently good for the world.

timothius said:

That wasn't my point. My point was that after attending a U2 concert many people feel that they have done somthing inherently good for the world.

That's just an unfounded assumption you're making about the audience, unless you have polling statistics you'd like to whip out.

Maybe people went to the Amnesty tour to feel better about themselves, but Vertigo? The HRC/One bits are a sideshow from the actual thing- the music.

mobvok said:

That's just an unfounded assumption you're making about the audience, unless you have polling statistics you'd like to whip out.

Maybe people went to the Amnesty tour to feel better about themselves, but Vertigo? The HRC/One bits are a sideshow from the actual thing- the music.

I'm happy to admit what I am saying is far from stone cold fact, but it's my opinion to the origional question.

Just to clarify, my point isn't that people go to Vertigo Show because of the politics. How many people do you think went to Live8 for the politics? But I would guess if "polled" you would find most of them felt that they had done a great deed to society by going there. A similar philosophy applies to the Vertigo tour.

Again just an opinion.

timothius said:

I'm happy to admit what I am saying is far from stone cold fact, but it's my opinion to the origional question.

Just to clarify, my point isn't that people go to Vertigo Show because of the politics. How many people do you think went to Live8 for the politics? But I would guess if "polled" you would find most of them felt that they had done a great deed to society by going there. A similar philosophy applies to the Vertigo tour.

Again just an opinion.

I'm not so sure about that.. But to each his own. :hug: :wink:

Wait, you're trying to suggest that people think they've done a good thing for the world by seeing U2?? :huh: I dunno about you but when I see U2 it's a pretty selfish motive, I want to hear some of the best music in the world, see four hot Irishmen, rock out, and be uplifted... I don't think by going to see U2 I'm helping anyone but myself :huh: granted I did join the One campaign when I saw them in Chicago, but I could have done that anytime. The only good I've done for anyone else really is support the band I love.

The point about Bono the rock star taking a backseat to Bono the humanitarian is a little disturbing... when it comes to what's more important in the world, Bono's humanitarian work is more important than U2's music will ever be in terms of making a serious difference and saving lives. But like I said before, I'm selfish, and in the end what I would rather have is Bono to focus on the music and have someone else take over the great work he has started. If Bono gets too deep in the political work, could it affect the band? What if he just gets deeper and deeper in and eventually U2 break up? Now I'm all worried :sad:

I think I sorta see where timothius is coming from. All the "Save the world" thing is pretty much and has always been a huge and dominating part of U2's image. So, consciously or subconsciously it somehow plays a role.

clarityat3am said:
I think the mistakes make the shows genuine. :)

yea i love mistakes. i was at NJ1 and during Yahweh, Larry showed up a few seconds late for his piano part, so Bono said to stop and start over.

same show, right in the beginning of 'original', edge picks up the guitar rather then the piano, it was classic!

mistakes are cool.

AtomicBono said:

Hey, I thought that comment was funny :lol:

So does Fake Edge look at all like real Edge?? :hmm:

cousin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom