Do you think Bono ever performs while intoxicated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO said:
well, my favorite bit in rattle and hum is when they're being interviewed and bono is asking "can I have my cup?....me cup?"
and then you see him gulping a large can of beer.

I'm sure he didn't drink the whole can though.
I hope you do understand that when I say he wouldn't drink a can of beer is before going the show. Not after or during an interview. :|

Chizip said:
ok so can anyone who went to the show Wednesday confirm if he was :drunk: or not?

Completely wasted...I was so shocked and outraged I left the ellipse and got drunk myself. The breaking point for me came when he dedicated "All Because of You" to Guinness beer...realllly horrible to witness...and just plain sad, you know? I never thought it would come to this.

angelordevil said:

Completely wasted...I was so shocked and outraged I left the ellipse and got drunk myself. The breaking point for me came when he dedicated "All Because of You" to Guinness beer...realllly horrible to witness...and just plain sad, you know? I never thought it would come to this.

Are you serious!!! Bono was wasted:shocked: What about the other guys? could you tell is they were smashed?:ohmy:

U2Man said:
Well, all Chizip did was to kindly ask you :shrug:

I have a strange sense of humour....I should've added a :wink: at the end.

To answer the question seriously, I really doubt if he was...he was in great form. I think if he was filled with anything, it may have been all those facts and figures from the meeting he apparently had earlier that day in New York. The setlist was short, but the songs were pointed, direct, with many mentions of the current plight of the world....I seriously thought he was going to hammer a hole through the drum kit during "Love and Peace".

Carmelu2fan said:

Are you serious!!! Bono was wasted:shocked: What about the other guys? could you tell is they were smashed?:ohmy:

No, I was kidding...sorry. They were all very alert. nobody gets my humour

:sad:

:wink:

I was at the front rail inside the ellipse Mon and Wed and I wouldn't say he was drunk but rather very tired on Wed.

The story is that he had been partying until 5am Wed morning then flew to NYC and back for the UN meeting.

That would explain the short setlist and forgetting that he wanted to dance with Mrs. Edge during WOWY until the last minute so had to go find her lol...that was priceless.

AliEnvy said:

forgetting that he wanted to dance with Mrs. Edge during WOWY until the last minute so had to go find her lol...that was priceless.

That was funny...I was next to that rail as well...I was the idiot in the blue shirt jumping up and down endlessly. Aww, the stuff memories are made of....:wink:

He's a rock star...isn't it a requirement to drink...whether on or off stage? :shrug:

Bono Claus!

I think the best image that pops into my mind for that is Fly Bono, wearing red and white leather done up as a pseduo-Santa suit, complete with fly shades and cigarillo.

I found this quote in Bob Hewson's obituary in the Irish Independent. This was part of Bono's remarks the day after his father died:

"Bono noted that the one and only time he went onstage drunk was when his own father got him rat-arsed in Paris."

corianderstem said:
Bono Claus!

I think the best image that pops into my mind for that is Fly Bono, wearing red and white leather done up as a pseduo-Santa suit, complete with fly shades and cigarillo.

Bono Claus:drool: I wan to sit on his lap!:wink:

biff said:
I found this quote in Bob Hewson's obituary in the Irish Independent. This was part of Bono's remarks the day after his father died:

"Bono noted that the one and only time he went onstage drunk was when his own father got him rat-arsed in Paris."
:love:

I feel avenged. :cool:

Thanks Biffo! :up:

yeah....shall we go over the many other things Bono has also said that proved to be false?

[

Plus, think back to the 90's - you know the time when Adam was engaged to Naomi Campbell. I would not be surprised if one or more of the bandmembers blew a line or two here, or there... [/B][/QUOTE]

I was watching ZOOTV Sydney the other day and I noticed that when Bono comes out as Macphisto he's sniffling and playing with his nose a lot.

I have to admit that the possibility crossed my mind.

of course bono was intoxicated while performing.

7amila it sometimes sounds like you think u2 exist on some sort of fairytale level.

it was well documented that bono was absolutely smashed during u2's performance of beautiful day at the mtv europe music awards back in 2001...

that's 7ust one example.

Zoomerang96 said:
it was well documented that bono was absolutely smashed during u2's performance of beautiful day at the mtv europe music awards back in 2001...

One could argue that the only way to endure having to perform at the MTV Europe awards would be to get as drunk as possible.

That said, I do believe this to be an extremely rare occurance. It's a question of professionalism, of which U2 have plenty.

As an example: During the Elevation tour, Bono's wife gave birth during a very brief break in the tour schedule. When asked what would have happened if he had had to go back out on the road before the baby was born, Bono said that unfortunately that would have meant he would have missed the baby's birth. He would not have cancelled a show that they were contracted to perform, not even for that compelling reason.

They take their jobs seriously.

(By the way, Zoomerang, there appears to be something wrong with your keyboard.)

I have to admit, I've only read the first and last page of this thread, but I was just listening to Toronto 2 and that story Bono told at the beginning of Miracle Drug.... :drunk: :lmao:

Wasn't it the Grammy's when they had vodka in the water bottles and those pics of that night it was quiet obvious, but that wasn't a concert.

I really don't care one way or the other, drunk or sober they are still the best band around. :hyper:

yes.

bono is human and comes from a culture of...
sexiness..
and a lil of this..
and
a
lil of that..

yes it's naive to think he hasn't loosened up w a few drinks..b4 a gig.

db9

Doesn't anyone remember the infamous Golden Globes 03 'this is really fucking brilliant' incident? He had been drinking a good bit before that.

EPandAmerica said:
I have to admit, I've only read the first and last page of this thread, but I was just listening to Toronto 2 and that story Bono told at the beginning of Miracle Drug.... :drunk: :lmao:

Wasn't it the Grammy's when they had vodka in the water bottles and those pics of that night it was quiet obvious, but that wasn't a concert.

Yeah, I know, I was just listening to the show too and he sounded a bit loopy and really chatty (even for him! :laugh: ). Need video to make a full assessment though. :wink:

Yup, that was at the Grammys (2002, I think).

Back
Top Bottom