Do people smoke pot at U2 shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I appreciate your understanding, my only thought is that during Prohibition alcohol was considered as bad, and now it is legal again. Marijuana was legal in the past and now...so I do think that it may be a similar demonization. After all no one knows (unless it runs in their family) if they have alcoholic tendencies. I really have no attachment to my point of view, I just like to be balanced and look at how we arrive at our conclusions. In the end each person has to decide for themselves, what is right for their own body and mind. One more thing, there are a lot of studies about how bad alcohol is and it's only recently that governments have allowed the benefits to be examined, perhaps that is what will happen with pot one day.

MissMoo said:
I appreciate your understanding, my only thought is that during Prohibition alcohol was considered as bad, and now it is legal again. Marijuana was legal in the past and now...so I do think that it may be a similar demonization.

Oh, true. I'm certainly not trying to demonize pot smokers or anything like that. I just found one or two of the posts (I don't mean yours) a little bit sanctimonious or hypocritical, that was all, posts which were more or less saying marijuana smoking's really cool, but don't you dare come near me with that cigarette or beer can, or something along those lines. I'm well aware of the problems alcohol can cause, if abused.

As I said previously, I think a lot of it may be down to cultural differences - marijuana perhaps more socially tolerated in the USA compared to Ireland, alcohol (including alcohol abuse) more tolerated in Ireland that the USA.

icelle said:
i WAS thinking of taking my daughter daisy to see u2 in november, but since seeing this thread, i've rethought my decision.

How old is your daughter? Taking her to a u2 show will be an umbelievable fullfilling experience. Are you going to home school her and not let her have friends too? She will be with you. Just tell her smoking pot is bad for her and enjoy the show.

I didn't smell any weed at the U2 concert but there sure were a lot of drunks in the house spilling beer everywhere..

In the 1970s, people openly smoked pot at concerts and no said a word. Complete strangers would be passing joints to the enire row. Not so today so I wouldn't advise that you try doing it if that's why you asked.

Today there is zero tolerance for pot and you could get thrown out or arrested. As one poster advised, do it before the show if you must.

:wink:

I was unfortunate to be nearby pothead dopes at a Weezer concert, and the place was filled with pot at Steve Miller's concert. I tell you once and for all, if this happens at Cleveland, someone will get their nuts ripped off. :mad:

Axver said:

Yeah, agreed. Though I'm glad I have GA tickets rather than seating - at least with GA, I can just move away from whatever obnoxious, selfish individuals think they have a right to disturb other people. I don't get why it's often seen as so 'cool' to get drunk or to light up - especially when it's lighting up something illegal. That's just plain stupid if you ask me.

ive never been to a u2 concert. but i know i like u2 a lot more when im high( you can hear all the extra little things they do). and im sure ill like being at a u2 concert HIGH! high off my fucking ass!!!! and if i see you there standing beside me, ill blow a gun from my nug blunt right to your dome. youll get pissed, sure. you may even want to hit me, ok cool. wait a minute, whats going on? why does u2 sound so much better? is it because youre high for the first time and now you understand? is it because youre no longer nieve and you realize that bud isnt really as big a fucking deal as you make it out to be?

just because its illegal doesnt mean its stupid. its not our fault we have assholes telling us what to do with ourselves. so let me get this straight...im supposed to consume some shit the gov makes up in a lab because they say thats what i need to concentrate? even though the shit they put into it causes all sorts of new problems called side effects? even though that shit they make doesnt really ever do what it says? nah, you fucking retards can eat all the chems you want, ill stick to what god made for me and to what WORKS.

well, you seem to have a problem with pot and/or potheads so my question to you is this (this goes out to all of you people who bitch)....

what is so wrong with marijuana?

is it the rediculous amount of uses the plant has? is it the FACT that it could replace cotton and save the environment and manufacturers huge amounts of pesticide? because guess what? it has its own natural pestcide! is it becausetheres more protein in a pot seed ten fold than there is in a soy bean? maybe because of its high potential in fuel alternatives? whatever it is, im sure its ignorant and uneducated.

t8thgr8 said:

ive never been to a u2 concert. but i know i like u2 a lot more when im high( you can hear all the extra little things they do). and im sure ill like being at a u2 concert HIGH! high off my fucking ass!!!! and if i see you there standing beside me, ill blow a gun from my nug blunt right to your dome. youll get pissed, sure. you may even want to hit me, ok cool. wait a minute, whats going on? why does u2 sound so much better? is it because youre high for the first time and now you understand? is it because youre no longer nieve and you realize that bud isnt really as big a fucking deal as you make it out to be?

just because its illegal doesnt mean its stupid. its not our fault we have assholes telling us what to do with ourselves. so let me get this straight...im supposed to consume some shit the gov makes up in a lab because they say thats what i need to concentrate? even though the shit they put into it causes all sorts of new problems called side effects? even though that shit they make doesnt really ever do what it says? nah, you fucking retards can eat all the chems you want, ill stick to what god made for me and to what WORKS.

well, you seem to have a problem with pot and/or potheads so my question to you is this (this goes out to all of you people who bitch)....

what is so wrong with marijuana?

is it the rediculous amount of uses the plant has? is it the FACT that it could replace cotton and save the environment and manufacturers huge amounts of pesticide? because guess what? it has its own natural pestcide! is it becausetheres more protein in a pot seed ten fold than there is in a soy bean? maybe because of its high potential in fuel alternatives? whatever it is, im sure its ignorant and uneducated.

Pot does NOT kill brain cells poeple!

Thank you, t8thgr8, for so vividly showing why no-one should try pot.

I'll make my own life decisions, thanks. I don't need you to blow some shit in my face that I never want to try. Some of us, you know, don't want to get high and can hear U2 quite fine without pot.

Hawkmoon04 said:

How old is your daughter? Taking her to a u2 show will be an umbelievable fullfilling experience. Are you going to home school her and not let her have friends too? She will be with you. Just tell her smoking pot is bad for her and enjoy the show.

thanks for bringing up my parenting skills. but since you asked, my daughter is going to be 9 next monday. she is not homeschooled and she's quite popular with the kids at school. just because i dont want my daughter inhaling second hand pot doesnt mean i want to shelter her from experiencing the greatest rock band ever, live.

today i must have told myself 5 times im taking her with me. then another 5 times im questioning my own judgement in how things might go depending on venue, seat location, potheads, jackasses, overzealous fans, etc...

forgive me for worrying. im just a mother.

I think alot of people do actually smoke pot at U2 concerts. It seems no matter where you're seated or standing at during the show ... you can always smell it lingering somewhere. I however don't need to smoke pot to enjoy the show ... and still don't understand why some people do feel it's necessary !!

I just read the entire thread and must sadly come to the conclusion that we've got a lot of potheads here.

:madspit: :mad: :sad:

People smoke pot at every concert by every band, everywhere. And you know how I know? They are allways seated right next to me.

:drool:

You know, smoke pot if you want. Hell, I often think it should be legal. But you don't have the right to decide that for other people.

And when you smoke at a concert or another public setting, you're making that decision for other people. Not everyone around you wants to get a contact high.

Is it so much to ask for a little consideration for people around you?

I think that's the main idea of this thread, not whether or not people should smoke pot.

Hey, if you smoke pot, try and be respectful of the people around you - don't be an arsehole. If you don't smoke pot try and be respectful to those who want to. Be polite!

Personally, I have more of a problem with drunken dickheads.

The main idea of this thread is whether it is alright to smoke pot at concerts. I hate the very idea of it, it ruins the experience so that a careless minority are the only ones who will fully enjoy it, while those who don't want to smell like arse are forced to be around it.

If the idea of the thread is whether or not people should be allowed to smoke pot at all, it belongs in Free Your Mind.

icelle said:
thanks for bringing up my parenting skills. but since you asked, my daughter is going to be 9 next monday. she is not homeschooled and she's quite popular with the kids at school. just because i dont want my daughter inhaling second hand pot doesnt mean i want to shelter her from experiencing the greatest rock band ever, live.

today i must have told myself 5 times im taking her with me. then another 5 times im questioning my own judgement in how things might go depending on venue, seat location, potheads, jackasses, overzealous fans, etc...

forgive me for worrying. im just a mother.
:up: Don't let it get to you, especially from those who assume too much.

FullonEdge2 said:
I just read the entire thread and must sadly come to the conclusion that we've got a lot of potheads here.

:madspit: :mad: :sad:

?????

so everybody who smokes pot, or isn´t on here condemning it, is a pothead? what is this stereotype all about? and no, i don´t really smoke (very occasionally) but I have friends who are regular smokers and the idea that this fact alone makes them people you wouldn´t want around is absurd! some of the best people I know smoke pot, it doesn´t change who they are. and I´m not saying this makes them cool, before some people jump on that. some of the best people I know don´t touch the stuff. I just can´t believe that you can throw out :madspit: :mad: :sad: at people for that!

I know this thread has gone a little of topic but I had to reply to that. I´m more concerned about people with attitudes like this, than what drugs interferencers take.

honeychild said:
so everybody who smokes pot, or isn´t on here condemning it, is a pothead? what is this stereotype all about? and no, i don´t really smoke (very occasionally) but I have friends who are regular smokers and the idea that this fact alone makes them people you wouldn´t want around is absurd!

I haven't seen any comments in the thread either condemning pot smokers, or even saying that the poster wouldn't want to be around a pot-smoker, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. There have been comments saying that people don't understand why some would need to smoke pot to enjoy a U2 concert.

I, and one or two others that contributed to the thread, made the point that it's a bit of a double standard to applaud pot smoking and in the next breath lay into cigarette smokers, and I stand by this.

financeguy said:

I haven't seen any comments in the thread either condemning pot smokers, or even saying that the poster wouldn't want to be around a pot-smoker, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. There have been comments saying that people don't understand why some would need to smoke pot to enjoy a U2 concert.

I, and one or two others that contributed to the thread, made the point that it's a bit of a double standard to applaud pot smoking and in the next breath lay into cigarette smokers, and I stand by this.

erm, I´m talking about the the thread that I quoted in my post. I thought that was fairly obvious.

Sicy said:
I would never smoke a cigarette at a concert. That's very inconsiderate in my opinion.
Besides, I already got yelled at for smoking while we were waiting for Bono.. and we were OUTSIDE! :mad:

<-------- yeller

Listen if you need anything else but music to get high at a u2 show

give your ticket to someone else.

I have no problem with it...but I don't want to breathe it in

some of us value our lungs

honeychild said:

?????

so everybody who smokes pot, or isn´t on here condemning it, is a pothead? what is this stereotype all about? and no, i don´t really smoke (very occasionally) but I have friends who are regular smokers and the idea that this fact alone makes them people you wouldn´t want around is absurd! some of the best people I know smoke pot, it doesn´t change who they are. and I´m not saying this makes them cool, before some people jump on that. some of the best people I know don´t touch the stuff. I just can´t believe that you can throw out :madspit: :mad: :sad: at people for that!

I know this thread has gone a little of topic but I had to reply to that. I´m more concerned about people with attitudes like this, than what drugs interferencers take.

What's your definition of a pothead? Mine is this: someone who smokes pot. Now I'm not saying people who've 'experimented' with it or tried it once are potheads, I'm just seeing all the "Yeah I sometimes smoke pot" posts in this thread.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
You know, smoke pot if you want. Hell, I often think it should be legal. But you don't have the right to decide that for other people.

And when you smoke at a concert or another public setting, you're making that decision for other people. Not everyone around you wants to get a contact high.

Is it so much to ask for a little consideration for people around you?

I think that's the main idea of this thread, not whether or not people should smoke pot.

I've bit my tongue this whole thread trying to refrain from entering the argument on whether pot is good or bad, or should be legalized or whatever. Or whether it is somehow either degrading or enhancing to the whole U2 concert experience. You are absolutely correct- that is not the point of this thread. Rather, people should be considerate to others with their decision.

As Axver said, I'll make my own lifestyle choices- and that choice is to enjoy cannabis at certain times. I have my own reasons for this. I am an adult who has made informed conscious decisions about my actions, but I will not get into them here. However, I completely respect and understand how smoke can be a complete nuissance to many people, and thus why I think that those who choose to use cannabis should be more considerate to others around them.

You can always toke up before the show, but the high will wear off about halfway through. The other option is to orally consume the THC in one fashion or another (pot brownies, etc..) which actually gives a more intense and longer lasting high.

Anyway, the point is I guess that mutual respect will get us a lot further along than not.

Macfistowannabe said:
The main idea of this thread is whether it is alright to smoke pot at concerts. I hate the very idea of it, it ruins the experience so that a careless minority are the only ones who will fully enjoy it, while those who don't want to smell like arse are forced to be around it.

If the idea of the thread is whether or not people should be allowed to smoke pot at all, it belongs in Free Your Mind.

the idea behind this thread was more of a curiousity about U2, U2 fans, ettiquette at shows, and people's feelings about smoking pot in the U2 scene in general. i don't think i had realized the level of cultural differences among the U2 fanbase.

i think the general sentiment i'm getting is that it's ok to smoke pot or do whatever as long as you are respectful of others and do not negatively affect their experience in any way.

I caught them in boston during the last tour and there was a haze of pot smoke in the building and I got soooo freaking sick from the contact high I got that I didn't get to spend the next day enjoying the rest of my vacation I built around the show...I just went home early.

really...I feel it's ok to smoke pot...hell Ive done it myself. But NOT in a public place where others can be bothered by it. There could be ppl near you with allergies or asthma or even just get sick from it like me. So PLEASE PLEASE don't ruin somebody else's fun.

Last edited:
FullonEdge2 said:

What's your definition of a pothead? Mine is this: someone who smokes pot. Now I'm not saying people who've 'experimented' with it or tried it once are potheads, I'm just seeing all the "Yeah I sometimes smoke pot" posts in this thread.

for me, the term pothead conjures up negative images of someone who is always stoned, and who perhaps doesn´t get much done as a result - and I don´t think this applies to everyone who smokes it, though of course it does describe some people! maybe thats just my perception of the word, but to me, calling anyone who smokes a pothead is like labelling everyone who drinks an alcoholic.

You say that you define a pothead simply as "someone who smokes pot". But in your OP you say that "sadly I have come to the conclusion that we´ve a lot of potheads here". This suggests that your actual understanding of the term "pothead" is perhaps a little stronger then your definition. "someone who smokes pot" is a purely factual definition, but your OP is laced with judgement.

My original point was that your post seemed to say: smokes pot = pothead = undesirable.

On the main topic of smoking at concerts -
i can understand why people don´t see why others should want/need to be high at a U2 gig - I agree its enough of a buzz. but thats me. if they enjoy it that way great. but i do agree that people should be considerate of those around them and be aware that the smoke does bother people so yeah, its probably best to smoke before... that said, if people want to smoke during they will....its just a fact, like it or not. maybe they could consider a couple of quick puffs at a time, then stubbing it out...not enough time for the smoke to really build up and annoy people ?!?! yeah i know, not likely! but at a concert if people want to smoke they will, thats just the way it goes...

I gotta say that this one seems like a no brainer to me. I agree that someone can disagree with me on legal/moral grounds etc. but what it comes down to is what LoveTown said:

You're violating someone elses space.

Everyone says live and let live, but you have to take personal responsibility at some point. You are in an inclosed arena with non-smokers who do not want pot around. Lots of folks get sick from it. It's also illegal in every arena. (Which, I know no one cares about legal anymore, but there it is anyway) I would hope most U2 fans would get that. Be curtious to fellow fans.

Back
Top Bottom