Do people smoke pot at U2 shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

I don't need some substance to enhance my experience of music, or to warp my perception of reality so that I hear something 'spiritually' or however you want to put it. I would much rather enjoy what's naturally there and let the music have its intended impact upon me without chemical stimulus. I want the intended effect, not an effect warped by any drug.

I would rather process everything with a level, clear head that is accuracy assessing reality rather than through a perception warped by a drug.

Axver, do you drink alcohol? If so, you have used a drug.

People were smoking all around me at SD1, SJ1 and SJ2. Made me wish I was too but there is no way I'd risk getting thrown out of a U2 show. Better to do it first if you're going to do it...

indra said:

Axver, do you drink alcohol? If so, you have used a drug.

I occasionally drink wine - which is good for one's health. Never to levels that warp or impair or alter perceptions on reality.

This answer disturbs me somewhat.

I think what concerns me is the rather black and white nature of the answer. I tend to find the world and its myriad problems are many shades of grey and our answers must always be the same - shades of grey.

If you find the definitive nature of your belief suits you Axver, good luck to you, but it sounds awfully rigid and can we always abide by these rigid standards?

And does it really matter if we sometimes don't?

I think the point is that it doesn't matter what people choose to do. I'm very open minded and about liberal as you can get but I still thinking smoking (pot or a cig) in an enclosed space is inconsiderate of the people around you. Some people are very allergic to smoke and there are kids there. I'm certainly not putting a moral judgement on someone that wants to smoke pot or do any drugs.... just do it responsibly is all I ask.

Axver said:

I occasionally drink wine - which is good for one's health. Never to levels that warp or impair or alter perceptions on reality.

Pomegranete juice has more than a third more anti-oxidants (the good stuff in wine) than wine. Try it - it's wonderful! (And addicting, but in a good, non-alcoholic way.)

www.pomwonderful.com

-Miggy D

Lisa71 said:
I think the point is that it doesn't matter what people choose to do. I'm very open minded and about liberal as you can get but I still thinking smoking (pot or a cig) in an enclosed space is inconsiderate of the people around you. Some people are very allergic to smoke and there are kids there. I'm certainly not putting a moral judgement on someone that wants to smoke pot or do any drugs.... just do it responsibly is all I ask.

Take your hate-spewing rhetoric elsewhere, Lisa71. We don't need that kind of ignorance and intolerance here.

:wink:

-Miggy

Axver said:

Just be sure to remember that classic James Bond movie "Never Say Never Again." :wink:

I don't actually give a toss whether someone smokes pot to me or not,.

If they were actually blowing it my face I wouldnt be happy, but then I'd feel the same if it were ordinary cigarettes.

Anyway, you don't really notice these things after 12 pints.

Yes its ok to smoke Pot at a U2 show, only if you get Adam to hit one up on stage. I recommend not trying it out but its whatever floats your boat.

I am here to report that someone was toking up on the floor last night in Seattle. And I didn't care!

People must think pot makes the concert more enjoyable...but i personally would like to remember what happened.....

hey thats knarly dude....

but I guess the art fag attitude is that you are supposed to be smoking pot at rock concerts U2 or otherwise.

Yahweh said:
People must think pot makes the concert more enjoyable...but i personally would like to remember what happened.....

hey thats knarly dude....

but I guess the art fag attitude is that you are supposed to be smoking pot at rock concerts U2 or otherwise.

FYI-When you smoke pot, you don't have a lapse in memory.

Where did this notion come from with pot stealing memory?
It's booze where you black out and forget a nite's events, not pot.

Canada is going to legalize grass soon anyway I dont blame them there are enough morons that smoke the shit. Midas well make some tax money off stupidity, I would too.

I started to read this thread l
yeah I was sitting round tokin and then I uh well got Hungry
and then I uh well got inspired to write , writing high on Pot yeah thats the Ticket!
Ticket Ticket who has got a ticket to Chicago that's right they just released single tickets that's ok that's all I need because I smoke Pot have no friends and I uh well like to stoke at Croake

This would have been a self parody of 20 yrs ago w/ apologies to SNL now as a Responsible? Board member of the YMCA Hospital Volunteer, Fundraising for causes, I'm now a40 something guy, Youth Sports Coach and Father of 3
I now get high on life and my Wife and enjoy U2 . I passed thru the Pot Smoking/at times blazing where ??//////////////?????
hmm not the library..... at concerts ..
So please no more double standards pot smokers are testing boundaries and enjoying themselves as well as the drinkers and those really loud really bad singers in the crowd I can live w/ these people also just for 2 hrs. Alternative :Stay Home play Cd

In my Humble opinion,if they are not cracking down on smokers and drunkards it's the Stadiums fault but it does not mean they are all degenerates...
Hey I am still improving God willing I hope.
and yes... I have been honest w/ my kids about my experience I tried it and left it ..
Can we move on I am looking forward to bringing my Wife Son 13 Daughter 16 (the oldest now 19) will still be at College when the hit Boston we have already been together.
Have a good evening!

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong - real U2 fans are among the greatest on the planet. However, many of the people who attend U2 shows - the wankers, shall we say - are unbelievably lame.

For example, when U2 launched into City Of Blinding Lights at the 2nd Vancouver show and 99 percent of the excited crowd stood up on their feet (myself included), I was "politely" tapped on the shoulder by a woman in her forties. Apparently I was obstructing her view. But instead of standing too, she expected me to lapse into a coma just like her. Unbelievable.

It's the same thing with people who complain about pot smoke at concerts. These are the same people who complain that the music is too loud, that the crowd is too rowdy, that people are singing along out of key, that the band is playing material they aren't familiar with. These lame, yuppie professionals don't understand that pot smoking at concerts is a harmless tradition - if you want to live in a bubble and listen to your CD's, just stay at home. You will not get high from second hand pot smoke in an arena. At worst, you may not like the smell. It's not the end of the world. Drunk people are a far greater nuisance at concerts than pot smokers.

I have never lit up at a concert, but I do not begrudge those that do. It's NOT a big deal.

smoking at U2 shows

Wow, I'm amazed at the response this topic has gotten. Some interesting comments. Guess I'll toss in my 2 cents.

I've been seeing U2 since War and herb-smoking has always been present to some degree or another at the shows I've seen. Usually a minority, to be sure, but you generally get a whiff some time or another.

As for the question of whether smoking enhances or detracts from the experience, I'd say neither. I've seen U2 with and without partaking, and it really doesn't matter--the experience is always fantastic if you're in the right frame of mind to begin with.

However, personally I've often enjoyed a modest puff or two about a half hour or so into the show, after the band has really started to get into their groove. This way I experience the buzz from the show alone initially, then add a little twist part way through--the weed doesn't "improve" things exactly, just will tend to magnify the music a bit. But on the other hand it's just fine without it--the minute you think you "need" pot to enjoy the show you're starting to lose your perspective and focus more on the drug than the experience itself.

Alcohol, on the other hand--I really prefer not to drink much at all at a concert, because it's a pretty strong narcotic that definitely deadens your senses if taken too heavily.

All the talk of people hating the smell and being annoyed at pot smokers--to tell you the truth, I had no idea people felt that way. Most of the time the folks next to you are tapping your shoulder and asking for a hit! But I can see where people would find it offensive (I always loved the smell of pot, ever since smelling it as a little kid (parents hippy friends), but hated cigarettes).

And as for the people posting here about how dangerous or bad weed is, I can only say that the drug propaganda has certainly been effective if people in America are growing up with those ideas. Like alcohol, pot can be a trap if you become obsessed with using it constantly, but used responsibly I don't see the harm--certainly less malevolent than booze.

A quick sidenote--somebody commented about the band smoking pot--that's been documented (Larry rolling a joint, for one), for sure, but there's no way any of them smoke before a performance. They're way too professional for that.

Back
Top Bottom