Discotheque, what version rocks the most...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
Okay, for those of you that attended the show where Disco was played, what version rocks the most. Mexico City, Elevation tour or Vertigo tour version? Just curious...

It depends what you mean by 'rocking'. The Vertigo version is not all-out rock and roll, it's more dance/rave like, but it does rock really hard in some parts, especially the end (which you can hear a bit on the clips)

So it might not be the most "rocking" version, but without any doubt the most kick-ass I have ever heard! There is NO contest with other lives versions of this song IMO, whether it was PopMart or Elevation. I mean, in those tours Discotheque was a really cool live song, but now it's like nothing they've ever done live. It could become one of the highlights of this show very quickly.

Yeah, your right. I hope that they play this song and... *cough*, MOFO for the LA & Vegas shows. Although I hope that they keep Zoo Station in somehow... :huh:

Best ever version of Discotheque was during Popmart's opener in Las Vegas. Gotta love Bono's "give it up now" right before Edge's guitar comes in way too distorted... followed by Bono's "Slave to the rhythm" rap... just terrible.

Well, I haven't heard the mp3 version as many of us haven't yet but the video dosen't do any justice as someone pointed out. So far it's the Popmart Mexico city version that kicks some ass. That one is a killer. The intro and how it blends in with "If you were the velvet dress", just awesome.

The version of Discotheque performed in Toronto on this tour was pure genius. It was the highlight of the whole show. I had grown weary of the band telling reporters that POP was never properly finished blah blah blah. But after hearing this reworked version of Discotheque, maybe they were speaking the truth all along. They took a great song and made it greater. It was done with a vengeance, as if to say " So, you lot hated this album, did you ? Well, suck on this..... "
Only way I can describe the new rendition of the song is to call it an opus- part Donna Summer, part Aphex Twin, part Siouxsie and the Banshees, part Led Zeppelin

I've always been so so on Discotheque. I like the studio version and besides the chorus and boom chas I think it has a very good lyric hidden behind some very surface stuff.

But tonight's version actually moved me. I've seen it live now 4 times and this version was stunning. It was treated like a serious rock song.

I can't believe what I'm hearing! Do some people actually like this Vertigo version? Please, you make me think that you've never even heard the Popmart or Elevation versions!

Although I don't really like the song as a livesong, the Popmart version was the best one and fitted the show best too!

Neilz said:
I can't believe what I'm hearing! Do some people actually like this Vertigo version?

So you were at Toronto IV or Chicago I?

It's not as if we currently have a quality recording of this version so the rest of us can judge.

Axver said:
So you were at Toronto IV or Chicago I?

It's not as if we currently have a quality recording of this version so the rest of us can judge.
Even though we don't have a quality recording, I can easely hear how the song was played... For starters; why the hell the short Discotheque rythem chords right before the song starts? It sounded very VERY underrehearsed to me....

But I guess it's in the nature of people to like the latest thing... Have people forgotten Popmart? Discotheque is a Popmart song and only because of thát, it's the best version!

Neilz said:

But I guess it's in the nature of people to like the latest thing... Have people forgotten Popmart? Discotheque is a Popmart song and only because of thát, it's the best version!

Please... Let me and the others decide which version is the best, OK? Music is after all subjective?
BTW, I didn't like that much both Popmart and Elevation versions. But this Vertigo version kicks ass...

Just got back from Chicago.

The Vertigo version is definitely not the best. Its pretty lame at the start and in the middle, but it picked up at the end.

You should have seen the crowd tonight during Discotheque! I thought some folks had turned into statues or something. Pitiful. They could just as easily have been playing The Ocean.

cleazer said:
Just got back from Chicago. The Vertigo version is definitely not the best. Its pretty lame at the start and in the middle, but it picked up at the end.
Glad someone agrees :wink:

from what i heard, the begging and bridge, the vertigo version sounds amazing, i love the grungy dancy down and dirty feel to it, and from what i can see from the video on u2log the crowd seemed pretty into it in toronto

Vertigo version is great!! The reinvention is well done! Better than Elevation version, equal to Popmart.
Made me want to rave more with the lights!!

i will wait to make an analysis on how the new one sounds because frankly making an analysis of how something sounds when you have yet to hear how it sounds is pretty silly... so, unlike some, i will not do that.

however... it LOOKS amazing... the end effects there where they had the waterfall of color on the light screens? that was pretty bad ass.

and people elsewhere in the arena may have been "statues," but the rough video we have from the floor certainly shows a very good crowd reaction from those with GAs

Last edited:
Stm, I was thinking the same thing - “They took a great song and made it greater. It was done with a vengeance, as if to say " So, lot of you hated this album, did you ? Well, suck on this..... "”

BonoVoxSupastar, totally agree - “It was treated like a serious rock song.”

Remember The Edge’s guitar solo at the end of Last Night On Earth (Mexico) well that’s what they did to Discotheque.

Wait for a quality and full length version to surface.

Imagine what they may do with Mofo!

Hell, why not Do You Feel Loved (very fine as it is) U2 could turn it into a monster too. Then we could have a Vicious Pop, a Pop With Vengeance.

Gone (Boston Elevation)
Miami (which was the most “vicious” version?)

cleazer said:

You should have seen the crowd tonight during Discotheque! I thought some folks had turned into statues or something. Pitiful. They could just as easily have been playing The Ocean.

You must have been no where near where I was standing.

I have to say that after hearing the Vertigo version in Toronto I was completely blown-away and thought it kicked any other versions' butt, studio or live (and yes I have heard them all). However, I also thought right away that it would be a love it or hate it thing for most fans. I am not surprised that some people wouldn't like it, because it's so different from what U2 usually does (which is why I loved it so much).

And yeah, in Toronto the people in the seats were not rocking out too much (which doesn't mean they didn't like it, I think most people didn't expect something like that, that's all), but the people on the floor were jumping up and down in a trance!

I was at TO-4 and it Discotheque was the highlight. They even brought in POPMUSIC!! it was very exciting indeed. Loved it.

Popmart version was great as well...just different. :)

Back
Top Bottom