cursed opening acts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmaly

The Fly
Opening for U2 has to be one of the most difficult propositions in the world. Historically, bands that have opened for U2 have not fared well thereafter... the pixies broke up...bjork left the sugarcubes... public enemy broke up... gwen left no doubt (remains to be seen, I suppose)... are bands cursed once they've opened for U2? (Note: this is not a diss on the band.) Who was the worst opening act for a U2 concert? The best?

To open for U2 has to be the hardest thing ever. NO ONE wants to hear you and they are just WAITING for you to get off the stage.
When I saw the Sugarcubes...they were BOOED off.
That has to be tough.
Still, saying that.... I say forget the opening band. Just get on with the show.
The best opener I saw i think was Public Enemy. Worst... No Doubt. Sorry but Gwen irks me.

Fun loving criminals where good on the Popmart tour, but PJ Harvey was awful on Elevation.

A curse (if you can call it that) that any band in the world would be willing to risk.

No Doubt was launched into the stratosphere from that tour.

theedge111 said:
PJ Harvey was awful on Elevation.

I agree 100% !!

PJ Harvey "STUNK"...
I remember (at some of the NY and Chicago shows that I saw) people were literally "boo-ing" her...and also"yelling" for her to get off the stage...

That really has to be "embarrassing", but she is one performer
that didn't belong on stage as an "opening" act for U2...

Bono and company need to take "some notes", for future reference....but apparently, they didn't yet for this tour, either!!

I'm not happy about Kings Of Leon...:madspit:
I think we're gonna be bored..until U2 comes out to perform..

cmaly said:
Opening for U2 has to be one of the most difficult propositions in the world. Historically, bands that have opened for U2 have not fared well thereafter... the pixies broke up...bjork left the sugarcubes... public enemy broke up... gwen left no doubt (remains to be seen, I suppose)... are bands cursed once they've opened for U2? (Note: this is not a diss on the band.) Who was the worst opening act for a U2 concert? The best?

Gwen didn't leave no doubt just to set the record straight, she had been working on the solo material while touring rocksteady 'cause the other guys wanted a break and she's a work aholic.

MsMofoGone said:

I agree 100% !!

PJ Harvey "STUNK"...
I remember (at some of the NY and Chicago shows that I saw) people were literally "boo-ing" her...and also"yelling" for her to get off the stage...

That really has to be "embarrassing", but she is one performer
that didn't belong on stage as an "opening" act for U2...

Bono and company need to take "some notes", for future reference....but apparently, they didn't yet for this tour, either!!

I'm not happy about Kings Of Leon...:madspit:
I think we're gonna be bored..until U2 comes out to perform..

PJ Harvey is an amazing performer. Those who booed her should be ashamed of themselves.

Pixes still rule - they just had a reunion tour and never sounded better. Pixies :drool: :drool: I was the only guy screaming and cheering for them at the Nassau Coleseum back on ZooTV. I must have looked like an arse being the place was 25 percent filled at that point.

Heroes of Hypocracy were fun.....ND was ok

Fun Lovin' Criminals sucked

Didn't catch any shows with Rage opening, but I loooooove RAGE !:bow: :rockon:

Some bands are cursed BEFORE getting to support U2. That's the only explanation I can think of to excuse the embarressment of The Cosmic Rough Riders...:banghead:

The BoDeans are still one of my favorite bands that opened on the Joshua Tree tour. I see them about once a year somewhere and still find them entertaining.

alibee said:

Closely followed by BB King @ the point depot
SNooooozzze

This is the most blasphemous thing I have EVER heard!!!!

You wanna see a good BB show come to my hometown (Indianola, MS) where he's from. Every May he comes and plays a free concert then we go to Club Ebony (this SERIOUSLY run down old shack/blues bar) where he comes after his big show and plays there. It's so intense. You're sitting right there in front of him. It's not like some big show where he's up high on some big stage. He's literally sitting there eye level with you in this old blues club playin'...it's hot and sweaty and packed but it rocks out so hard it's not even funny.

Oh well I'm on a rant now, but if anyone wants to come see him this May give me a call and you can crash at my place!

Pj Harvey was absolutely great in Montreal . Stories from the city, stories from the sea is a marvelous album (actually won a mercury award for you losers who says she stinks).

You should get this album now! the tracks with thom yorke are great!

Achtung Ya'll said:

This is the most blasphemous thing I have EVER heard!!!!

You wanna see a good BB show come to my hometown (Indianola, MS) where he's from.

Oh well I'm on a rant now, but if anyone wants to come see him this May give me a call and you can crash at my place!

Just as well we are all different then and entitled to our own opinions!!!! Would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same thing..

Can I still crash in your place without going to see him?!?!?!!!LOL, never been to Indianola and don't even have the slightest notion where it is, sorry.

the best opener ever........ireland v. holland at slane II (just ask the lads!!)

and just look at what's happened to that Coldplay band, :sad: , I'm sure they regret it looking back..............

alibee said:

Just as well we are all different then and entitled to our own opinions!!!! Would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same thing..

Actually, we do all like the same thing.... U2. Does that make us boring?

The Stereophonics are awesome though. I have bought all of their albums ever since i saw them. The last album was great and they have a new one coming out soon.

theedge111 said:
Fun loving criminals where good on the Popmart tour.

Remember that brief time when "Scooby Snacks" was an anthem? I think it was about 45 seconds.

I thought they were pretty awful on Popmart. But I just picked up the new Kings of Leon album and love it, and I also really like their first album. So maybe there's some hope?

Did I imagine this, or did I hear/read somewhere that the Scissor Sisters were supposed to open for U2 on the upcoming tour? I didn't know anything about them, but they have a live concert available on Comcast "OnDemand" here on the U.S. east coast. I watched the first half of it and have to say, they put on a pretty entertaining show. I guess that was just a rumour since Kings of Leon, etc. are supposed to open.

Back
Top Bottom