crumbs 10/4/05

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmckinney

Acrobat
I have a feeling there's been a thread about this before but I can't find it - also I'm stuck at work with nothing to do, and I've been wondering about this. So, sorry if this has been covered :) -
On this version of Crumbs, during the middle eight, when Bono sings "dignity passes by," the long "by" note is interrupted by another voice - sounds like Bono - singing "you speak." Bono then holds the "by" note even longer as though trying to cover it. At the end of the song he apologies "for some interference in the middle of that" and says "we think it was the saint."
What's the consenus? What happened?

It was the vocal backing track - very obvious that he wasn't singing at the time (espcially to us in the front!). The timing was off and "you speak" came on too early. Sad that they actually use one...

They did use a backing vocal of Bono singing the "You speak" "But I need" "I would believe" "But I'm waiting on the Crumbs from your table". The intention was to have Bono sing it with himself so it was like he was harmonizing with himself. The backing track was lower in the mix than Bono's live vocal. When the timing was off or he missed his mark what you witnessed would occur. Bono sang the song live though, its not like he was lip synching.

Blue Room said:
They did use a backing vocal of Bono singing the "You speak" "But I need" "I would believe" "But I'm waiting on the Crumbs from your table". The intention was to have Bono sing it with himself so it was like he was harmonizing with himself. The backing track was lower in the mix than Bono's live vocal. When the timing was off or he missed his mark what you witnessed would occur. Bono sang the song live though, its not like he was lip synching.

Thanks. Seems like an odd thing to do, though - to arrange it that way rather than having Edge sing harmony. Do they do something similar on any other tracks?

bgmckinney said:

Thanks. Seems like an odd thing to do, though - to arrange it that way rather than having Edge sing harmony. Do they do something similar on any other tracks?

They do or have with alot of Edge's backing vocals actually. Examples that come to mind off hand are

-Vertigo (backing track for the Holas, Edge sings over the top of it also)
-Mofo (Been around the back, been around the front) backing track
-Lemon (Man paints a picture..................) This is the worst one IMO, because Edge's live vocal didnt even come through in the mix. So it was like he was lip synching.

There are others also. Thats just off the top of my head.

Blue Room said:

They do or have with alot of Edge's backing vocals actually. Examples that come to mind off hand are

-Vertigo (backing track for the Holas, Edge sings over the top of it also)
-Mofo (Been around the back, been around the front) backing track
-Lemon (Man paints a picture..................) This is the worst one IMO, because Edge's live vocal didnt even come through in the mix. So it was like he was lip synching.

There are others also. Thats just off the top of my head.

dont forget during beautiful day ;)

Back
Top Bottom