Crowded House Tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpmanjr

Babyface
Any chance U2 will play a song tonight to honor the late Paul Hester of Crowded House?

I'm sure Bono will slip in some Don't Dream it's Over into a song somewhere.

Paul Hester hanged himself in a park in Melbourne yesterday. Sad story. He was 46 and left behind 2 daughters aged 8 and 10.:(

Former Crowded House and Split Enz drummer Paul Hester died on Saturday after a long battle with depression, the Age newspaper in Melbourne reported today.

Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported police found his body yesterday in Elsternwick Park near his home after he failed to return home from walking his two dogs on Saturday night.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3229987a1860,00.html

Msg from Neil Finn from finnbros website:
"It was with deepest sadness and shock that I learned yesterday of the passing away of one of my closest friends, Paul Hester.
Nick Seymour will be joining Tim and me here in London today to share our grief. The Finn Brothers shows this week at the Royal Albert Hall will go ahead as we don't know what else to do at this time other than to be with those closest to us and Paul and to play music to remember him by.
Our hearts go out to Mardi, Sunday, Olive and all of Paul's family."

Yeah it's awful, but it's also extremely selfish (a la Michael Hutchence). Fine if you don't want to be around (not really), but don't you owe it to your kids to stick around until they are at least adults? This type of thing pisses me off to no end. I think about how my kids would feel if I checked out cuz things weren't goin the way I wanted them to, and I think about the huge hole in their hearts that would be left, and I can't fathom how I would do anything not to make sure I'm around for them. Hell I've even lately started thinking I can't keep just not worrying about my health anymore cuz I don't want to up and have a heart attack at 40 and leave them with no father.

Bless his family, but shame on him for taking the easy way out.

Sorry if I offend anyone.

Last edited:
beli said:
Erin depression is not a logical process. Dont try and analysis, and judge, a person on their actions made in state of depression.

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's the depression. Or moreover, I think it's the choice to be depressed. i've had a ton of hard things to go through in my life.....divorce...addiction....stupid decisions that led to legal problems.....I could have used any one of those as an excuse to be depressed and 'check out'. Instead, I sucked it up, refused to let it get the best of me, and used those experiences as a lesson to make changes down the road. I think it's how people deal with advsersity, or in this case, don't deal with it, that leads to this cop out of 'depression'. Life sucks from time to time, but it's what you do to get to a better place that measures a man (or woman).

As Gump would say That's all I gotsta say abowt that

Last edited:
beli said:
Congratulations to you for having the strength to deal with the adversity you encounted. Not everyone is chemically wired to do so.

Sounds to me either you a) have professional expertise in this field or b) have a personal experience with it thorugh an acquaintance.

Am I right or am I right?

Bit of both. I work in safety and health/ workers compensation claims etc. I could not count how many depressed people I have met/known.

Different people handle adversity differently. Some people can bounce right back up again and keep going. Others are not able to do so.

Depression is a dark dark place. Logical thoughts are few. All sorts of irrational ideas become options.

How a person deals with life is neither a reason for praise nor condemnation. In my opinon, judging another human being is only permittable in extreme cases eg Hitler.

On some of the Crowded House/Split Enz forums there are calls for people to make donations to mental health organisations. If anything is to come out of this tragedy perhaps a greater community understanding of the nature of depression is it.

peace.

beli said:
Bit of both. I work in safety and health/ workers compensation claims etc. I could not count how many depressed people I have met/known.

Different people handle adversity differently. Some people can bounce right back up again and keep going. Others are not able to do so.

Depression is a dark dark place. Logical thoughts are few. All sorts of irrational ideas become options.

How a person deals with life is neither a reason for praise nor condemnation. In my opinon, judging another human being is only permittable in extreme cases eg Hitler.

On some of the Crowded House/Split Enz forums there are calls for people to make donations to mental health organisations. If anything is to come out of this tragedy perhaps a greater community understanding of the nature of depression is it.

peace.

Good take. I understand what you mean, and I probably spoke out of line due to my frustrations on situations like this. I know people don't always think rationally, but it irks me (probably putting it mildly) to see kids...young kids....left without parents because of suicide. I will look into giving a donation through their website in hopes that help can be given to those who need it.

It would warm my heart if Bono did it, although last time I looked for a CH->U2 connection i couldn't come up with much.

Mind you finding a CH->Radiohead connection was difficult, but two of them turned up to play for Neil in 2001 so who knows.

We still mourn for Paul.:sad:

Erin go bragh said:

I know people don't always think rationally, but it irks me (probably putting it mildly) to see kids...young kids....left without parents because of suicide.

Yep. Children are also orphaned by drunk drivers. Life sucks sometimes. In this particular case the children still have their mother.

As for the original question, I don't know if there is a link between Crowded House and U2 whereas Michael Hutchence and Bono were mates. I once read an article where Michael, Bono and Simon Le Bon used to have something called the Lead Singers Club (or some similar title) and meet at Michaels pool in France. I've not heard stories of U2 and Crowded House hanging together. Perhaps they do. I guess we will find out soon enough.

beli said:

As for the original question, I don't know if there is a link between Crowded House and U2 whereas Michael Hutchence and Bono were mates.

The only people who I can see a link through are....

David Tickle (Origionally was going to produce Crowded House & produced True Colours - Did a lot of work on the reproduction of R&H)

& Brian Eno-Phil Manzanera etc...

Nick & Paul spent quite a bit of time in Ireland towards the end and after Crowded House...Nick + Paul are both legendary drinkers....as are U2... This probably seems the most feasible.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws...

:shrug:

that's very sad to read that happened. It makes you think of Kurt Cobain and Michael Hutchence as well.

Actually committing suicide is much more prevalent for males than females. They tend to really do it. And contrary to belief its not in the midst of depression that people actually do it, but when they are on the way out of it, which is why most people around them are shocked. And depression comes about when reality does not match what we want.

I forgot to add something, and that's in the thinking of someone who doesn't want to go on that contrary to what is posted up there, they aren't thinking "selfishly" they are thinking that their children, and everybody else, will be better off without the burden of them in their lives.

Last edited:
And you are such a fool
To worry like you do
I know it's tough, and you can never get enough
Of what you don't really need now... my oh my

You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment and now you can't get out of it
Oh love look at you now
You've got yourself stuck in a moment and now you can't get out of it

>>>

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Bono said that he and Hutchence, a close friend, had discussed suicide before he was found hanged in a Sydney hotel room in 1997: 'We discussed suicide a few times and we both agreed how pathetic it was.' He said they had 'kinda promised each other' neither would ever kill themselves.

'Stuck In A Moment... is an argument,' he said. 'It's a row between mates. You're kinda trying to wake them up out of an idea. In my case it's a row I didn't have while he was alive. I feel the biggest respect I could pay to him was not to write some stupid soppy fucking song, so I wrote a really tough, nasty little number... slapping him around the head. And I'm sorry, but that's how it came out of me.'

nathan1977 said:
And you are such a fool
To worry like you do
I know it's tough, and you can never get enough
Of what you don't really need now... my oh my

You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment and now you can't get out of it
Oh love look at you now
You've got yourself stuck in a moment and now you can't get out of it

>>>

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Bono said that he and Hutchence, a close friend, had discussed suicide before he was found hanged in a Sydney hotel room in 1997: 'We discussed suicide a few times and we both agreed how pathetic it was.' He said they had 'kinda promised each other' neither would ever kill themselves.

'Stuck In A Moment... is an argument,' he said. 'It's a row between mates. You're kinda trying to wake them up out of an idea. In my case it's a row I didn't have while he was alive. I feel the biggest respect I could pay to him was not to write some stupid soppy fucking song, so I wrote a really tough, nasty little number... slapping him around the head. And I'm sorry, but that's how it came out of me.'

Bono's sentiments are a bit along the lines of what I was talking about. I guess when you realize, because you are thinking rationally, the impact that suicide will have on those whom you leave behind, it can't be looked at anything but completely selfish if you carry through with it. I get the whole "don't want to be a burden on the family" concept, but what is the burden on them now? I know alot of times people don't want to see a family memeber if they are like this or they are like that, but given the alternative, it would seem that it beats not being able to see them at all, or pick up the phone to say 'hey', or maybe smoothing things out once it all gets sorted out. I have a hard time accepting that those who committ suicide are often thinking of those around them. I have a hard time accepting that they aren't thinking of anyone but themselves and the easy way out.

I dont feel sorry for anybody that kills themselves I do feel sorry for the people they leave behind because it has life long effect.

Everybody gets depressed and if he was so depressed he should have saught mental help but it is still a sad loss as they were a great band.

Im trying so hard not to get really irate at this thread.

May I suggest if you have not experienced depression either yourself or via friends, family, colleagues, or aquaintances, nor attended mental health awareness training that you don't not comment on depression. Some of the comments made in this thread are inappropriate.

peace

I agree beli.
I have 2 very good friends who are clinically depressed and only by the grace of God and some really good doctors were they able to find the right medication for the chemical imbalances in their brain.
I've seen them come through some very dark times and come out of equally dark places.
This is a medical condiditon not something one can just choose snap out of or not.
Read up on it people because if you ever have anyone in your group of friends or God forbid family, that should suffer from depression, then you could possibly save someone's life.
Knowledge is power.

I think this thread may be getting too personal/close to home for some so I am going to close it.

Sorry guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom