Counterfeit Merchandise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3invertednines

Babyface
Okay, so I just saw the Vertigo show for the 3rd time, this time in Los Angeles...

As we're leaving the show, I'm just about to purchase a cheap $10 shirt from this guy, when some dude walks up to us and grabs all the shirts from the seller. Obviously, I understood that he was having his counterfeit shirts confiscated. Then, as we walked to our car, I saw a dozen other guys confiscating shirts from sellers.

And who were these t-shirt salesmen? POOR BLACK MALES! Were they harming ANYONE?? NO, THEY WERE NOT!

These men buy these shirts for cheap so that they can sell them and make a bit of cash. Not everyone who goes to a U2 concert can afford to spend $35 on a fucking t-shirt (not to mention the $90 "vintage" shirts that they sell).

I love U2 as much as anyone else here, but if I was in a huge fucking rock band, I would GLADLY allow the poor people of Los Angeles to use my image on some t-shirts.

Since I spent ALOT of money on seeing these U2 shows, I can't afford to buy a $40 t-shirt. If they want to stop people from selling inexpensive counterfeit merchandise, they should make the real merchandise more affordable!

This is the end of my rant. Thanks.

about a week ago while watching tv late at night i saw a tv show called Celebrity Justice

they did a segment on U2 and how they were suing people who sold this counterfeit merchandise

so obviously U2 is doing everything they can to crack down on this

this is from their website

http://celebrityjustice.warnerbros.com/news/0504/01a.html

U2 On Mission To Stop Pirates
April 1, 2005
U2 kicked off its new "Vertigo" tour on Monday in San Diego, and "CJ" has discovered that you might call them the fighting Irish because, behind the scenes, they're on a search and destroy mission against rock n' roll pirates.

"CJ" has learned the company that licenses U2 paraphernalia has sued to stop rip-off artists from using the band's name and image on counterfeit clothing, jewelry, photographs, posters and more. And last Monday, U2 got the federal marshals on their side. A judge authorized the marshals to seize any merchandize that's being hawked without U2's permission.

Warren Cuccurullo, who once performed with the '80's super group Duran Duran, knows first hand how big the rock rip-off business is. He told CJ, "Just with the addition of the Internet, the outlet that these guys have, how can you trace them? They're almost invisible."

U2 lead singer Bono is known as a worldwide activist and a guy who doesn't give up easily. Now, Bono and his band are determined to stop the thieves -- and it could be a "Sunday Bloody Sunday" for the U2 pirates.

I don't think it's so much the fact of selling Counterfeit Merchandise. I think it has more to do with most state laws of having a vendors license to sell anything on the streets.

3invertednines said:
I love U2 as much as anyone else here, but if I was in a huge fucking rock band, I would GLADLY allow the poor people of Los Angeles to use my image on some t-shirts.

Poor people selling counterfeit shirts? Like those poor people selling scalped tickets?

I think you got a wrong impression there. I don't think those were poor people trying to sell a few counterfeit shirts. Merchandising is a huge business and not just the official merchandising one. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the exact same people (here described as poor black males) with the exact same shirts standing at the NYC concert in May, or the Miami one in the fall. Most of these are pros and operate nationally (if not globally).

C ya!

Marty

Re: Re: Counterfeit Merchandise

Popmartijn said:

Poor people selling counterfeit shirts? Like those poor people selling scalped tickets?

I think you got a wrong impression there. I don't think those were poor people trying to sell a few counterfeit shirts. Merchandising is a huge business and not just the official merchandising one. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the exact same people (here described as poor black males) with the exact same shirts standing at the NYC concert in May, or the Miami one in the fall. Most of these are pros and operate nationally (if not globally).

C ya!

Marty

Amen!

3invertednines said:
Okay, so I just saw the Vertigo show for the 3rd time, this time in Los Angeles...

As we're leaving the show, I'm just about to purchase a cheap $10 shirt from this guy, when some dude walks up to us and grabs all the shirts from the seller. Obviously, I understood that he was having his counterfeit shirts confiscated. Then, as we walked to our car, I saw a dozen other guys confiscating shirts from sellers.

And who were these t-shirt salesmen? POOR BLACK MALES! Were they harming ANYONE?? NO, THEY WERE NOT!

These men buy these shirts for cheap so that they can sell them and make a bit of cash. Not everyone who goes to a U2 concert can afford to spend $35 on a fucking t-shirt (not to mention the $90 "vintage" shirts that they sell).

Since I spent ALOT of money on seeing these U2 shows, I can't afford to buy a $40 t-shirt. If they want to stop people from selling inexpensive counterfeit merchandise, they should make the real merchandise more affordable!

This is the end of my rant. Thanks.

I don't think U2 has a problem with poor the black males selling these shirts, I think they have a problem with the fucking sweat shop owner who is printing the shirts for peanuts and making a ton of money, at the expense of the band and the poor black males (and a few females last night) they send out to swarm the area around Staples Center after every major show.

If those guys make more than a buck or two per shirt, I'd be very surprised. Its the factory owner making money, not the poor people they send out the sell the shirts, and those guys should be stopped.

Let's be careful how we place our words, please....

"poor" Black males....WTF makes anyone think these guys are poor? just 'cause they're black???

and the reference to "fewer and fewer of these people at the shows..." What the Hell is "these people" ????

I don't mind this thread and the poster's assumption that a guy trying to make a living is getting jacked by the man but let's not stereo-type the fact that they were getting harassed or shut out of a show simply because of the color of their skin!!!

Merchandise can make or break the tour. I know at one point U2 was the largest "seller" of merch. at concerts. They don't really make money on the ticket sales with the expenses that it takes to put on a world tour. They make it on the t-shirt sales.

Bust them, I say.

Bust 'em! I agree...

Matter of fact, one of the sellers approached me and started his sale...then he blurts out, "I'm not selling to you, you look like a cop!" He took off across the parking lot!

#1, he was right, I (was) a cop and I still have the look...

My only objection to the thread was the stereo-typical descriptions, that's all! :|

That's just the typical cat and mouse game that's been going on for years. Those guys sell three for every one that's confiscated, and nothing is gonna stop them from coming back next time. The best part is that--despite inflation and whatever losses are suffered to confiscations--the price of the "parking lot shirts" hasn't changed in 20 years. "Official" merchandise, on the other hand, is the cash cow of a tour, and has skyrocketed just like ticket prices.

I can afford a $40 shirt--or even a $90 shirt--but many times the $10 shirt designs are nicer than the official stuff. In fact, I've probably gotten more compliments from strangers about old parking lot shirts than I have about old "official" shirts.

I bought a counterfeit T-shirt at one of the JT shows and I dont think I hardly ever wore it. I bought it spur of the moment and later on when I looked at it at home, it was a little cheesy. I would rather have official merchandise.

It's not just U2, all the venues around L.A. stop the fake shirts, I've seen it done at other shows. I didn't see too many nice fake U2 shirts the last few days, maybe 1 design was nice and seemed like good printing, the others were garbage.

Back
Top Bottom