Could Dallas have replaced The Edge if there had been only a couple dates left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usamilo

The Fly
I'll probably incite a riot by starting this thread even though I am doing it for discussion purposes only, but here goes.

Adam's bass tech, Stuart Morgan, went on in Adam's place for a show in 1993 in Sydney. A number of U2 fans are familiar with The Edge's long time tech Dallas Schoo. Many of you may have seen the very talented blonde headed Dallas on the catwalks before shows checking The Edge's guitars by playing bits of songs. I believe in the case of some stadium shows over the years, fans in the parking lot think they are hearing The Edge sound checking when in fact it is really Dallas and the other techs. The 1992 San Diego sound check I believe is an example.

Just for the sake of a discussion, let us assume the band began touring the Pacific rim in March and April of this year and had maybe two or three dates left when The Edge was unable to continue. Even the fan conscious U2 might balk at hauling everything and everyone back to the Pacific in November to make up just a couple of dates.

What if they finished the tour with Dallas going on in the place of The Edge? How would you feel as a ticket holder if you got someone in place of The Edge? Why if the band has already replaced Adam on one occasion would it not be thinkable to replace The Edge temporarily? Are all members of the band create equal in times like these or not?

I will now retire to my bomb shelter and let the discussion unfold.

I really do not think the band would have gone ahead with the shows with Dallas playing instead of The Edge, as good as Dallas is.

You have to look at the reason for why the band went ahead with Stuart Morgan instead of Adam. That was on the first of a 2 night stand in Sydney. The second night was going out live via satellite to tv in the US and other countries and was also planned to be the home video release for the Zoo TV and Zooropa tours. The first night was always intended to give the camera crew a run through in filming the show, so they would be perfect on the second night. This is the reason U2 went through with the show that night, because of the broadcast the following night. If there was to have been no broadcast or professional filming planned for the second night, I believe they would have postponed the first night and held it the night after the second show.

I saw the show where Stuart was on for Adam and in my mind, it was still a good show. I actually enjoyed that show more than the Adelaide one a week earlier, where I felt the band was just going through the motions.

I think it actually fired the rest of the band up to play a better show.

Nope, no way no how!

How about all of The Edge's vocals, how would they be replaced?

Halup said:
I really do not think the band would have gone ahead with the shows with Dallas playing instead of The Edge, as good as Dallas is.

You have to look at the reason for why the band went ahead with Stuart Morgan instead of Adam. That was on the first of a 2 night stand in Sydney. The second night was going out live via satellite to tv in the US and other countries and was also planned to be the home video release for the Zoo TV and Zooropa tours. The first night was always intended to give the camera crew a run through in filming the show, so they would be perfect on the second night. This is the reason U2 went through with the show that night, because of the broadcast the following night. If there was to have been no broadcast or professional filming planned for the second night, I believe they would have postponed the first night and held it the night after the second show.

You're history is correct and I proabably agree with you about what you think might have happened if there wasn't a pay per view involved in the mix. But because of the pay per view, there was a lot of money at stake and thus Adam became replacable. In my original scenario, there would be a lot of money at stake to bring everything back the vast Pacific region for just a couple of shows. Money colors everything my friends.

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:
I saw the show where Stuart was on for Adam and in my mind, it was still a good show. I actually enjoyed that show more than the Adelaide one a week earlier, where I felt the band was just going through the motions.

I think it actually fired the rest of the band up to play a better show.

I believe The Edge being replaced might have the same effect.

Was there any annoucement before the show in 1993 that Stuart was going on in place of Adam?

usamilo said:

I believe The Edge being replaced might have the same effect.

Was there any annoucement before the show in 1993 that Stuart was going on in place of Adam?
No, there was no announcement before the show that Adam wasn't there, and frankly I didn't notice until Bono mentioned it...:reject:

Well, I was looking elsewhere! :wink:

Halup said:
If there was to have been no broadcast or professional filming planned for the second night, I believe they would have postponed the first night and held it the night after the second show.

Also because the call on Adam was made very very late. Thousands were already at the stadium and thousands of others would have been on their way. At that stage (and remembering it was 1993 with limited ways for word to get around) radio would have been the only way to get the word out, and it was way way too late for that to reach many as well. Basically they would have had to turn away 45,000 people literally at the gate. It was a wise decision to risk a few fans being pissed off with seeing Stuart and not Adam.

blueeyedgirl said:

No, there was no announcement before the show that Adam wasn't there, and frankly I didn't notice until Bono mentioned it...:reject:

Well, I was looking elsewhere! :wink:

Have you ever seen or heard a recording of this show blueeyegirl? I saw an audeince shot video for the show on a list one time, but never got a copy. I'd be interested to hear/see this show.

Earnie Shavers said:

Also because the call on Adam was made very very late. Thousands were already at the stadium and thousands of others would have been on their way. At that stage (and remembering it was 1993 with limited ways for word to get around) radio would have been the only way to get the word out, and it was way way too late for that to reach many as well. Basically they would have had to turn away 45,000 people literally at the gate. It was a wise decision to risk a few fans being pissed off with seeing Stuart and not Adam.

How big (if any) a news story was this the following day in Sydney?

Earnie Shavers said:

THIS is the major difference. They found Adam couldnt play the afternoon of the actual show. As stated people were already in the stadium. Completely different scenario and circumstances. If they had known even a day ahead that he could not play the first Sydney show would have been postponed and Stuart would not have played. Its that simple.

Also, regarding the pay per view. From what I have heard it was not a factor in going with Stuart on night one. They had already done camera testing and had a rehearsal with the cameras in Adelaide. I had also heard that if Adam could not go for Sydney 2 they would have aired the Adelaide footage instead. :shrug: The Sydney shows would have been rescheduled and most likely filmed still. It just wouldnt have been the pay per view. Probably would have still been the official video though.

Last edited:
The 1993 Sydney show might have not gone ahead if it wasnt for the TV broadcast the next night. It was their one and only chance to work out the camera angles and lights and stuff. It had to go ahead with or without Adam!

Also, I know all band members of U2 are important and they wouldnt be U2 without ANY member but, if Edge was missing, that would mean ALOT more to your average U2 fan than if Adam was missing. People want to see Edge play!

As I said when Axver brought up something similar last week, seeing U2 without Edge is like seeing the Stones without Keith!

As regards to firing the band onto playing a better show, Edge provides sooo much of that drive to the shows, I dont think it would be a better show at all without him at all.

usamilo said:

From the news articles I've read the show itself was the story, the fact Adam didn't play was mentioned in passing.

Australia's used to bands being a man down, The Beatles played without Ringo down here. :wink:

timothius said:

From the news articles I've read the show itself was the story, the fact Adam didn't play was mentioned in passing.

Australia's used to bands being a man down, The Beatles played without Ringo down here. :wink:
Who stepped in for Ringo?

usamilo said:

The shows were huge news in general. I remember the day of the first show the newspaper here had a big front page article, full on technical diagrams of the stage set and everything. As pers usual Bono & Co owned Sydney for a week. I can't remember too much of a fuss being made of 'no Adam', but I do remember his night on the town being well reported in the more gossipy sections :wink: The band gave the "24 hour illness" line, which everyone damn well knows means "party too hearty", and sure enough some stories surfaced involving Mr Clayton esq and a few well known nightspots. This was 13 years ago though and I was only 15/16 and not the least bit interested in what the band were up to off stage, so it's all a bit sketchy.

bono_man said:
The 1993 Sydney show might have not gone ahead if it wasnt for the TV broadcast the next night. It was their one and only chance to work out the camera angles and lights and stuff. It had to go ahead with or without Adam!

Also, I know all band members of U2 are important and they wouldnt be U2 without ANY member but, if Edge was missing, that would mean ALOT more to your average U2 fan than if Adam was missing. People want to see Edge play!

As I said when Axver brought up something similar last week, seeing U2 without Edge is like seeing the Stones without Keith!

As regards to firing the band onto playing a better show, Edge provides sooo much of that drive to the shows, I dont think it would be a better show at all without him at all.

First up, I don't think Keith is that great a guitarist live. I'm pretty sure he actually died of an overdose back in the late 70's, but his brain has not gotten that message to the rest of his body because the brain message is swimming upstream against all the alcohol in his body.

I agree that The Edge does drive the shows. If anyone is going through the motions its Mr. Teleprompter (aka Bono). Missing The Edge for a couple of shows might force Bono to have an original thought on stage for the first time in a while.

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:
This was 13 years ago though and I was only 15/16 and not the least bit interested in what the band were up to off stage, so it's all a bit sketchy.

An interest you only developed later??? :wink:

usamilo said:

Who stepped in for Ringo?

Jimmy Nichol stepped in for Ringo. Ringo was out for a week or so. I believe he had tonsilitus while on tour in Europe just before they left for Australia, so they got Jimmy Nichol in the UK and took him with them. After his dates with the Beatles, the guy vanished from public view.

The whole band let loose in Sydney on that tour. Bono stole a boat off a wharf, and got a girl sacked for whisking her away from a cafe at night in Bondi or Coogee or somewhere. But he later returned her and begged her boss to re-hire her after they'd sat on the beach and watched the sun rise.
The papers did report on what Adam was up to, which was partying in Kings Cross with some lady friends. But the official story was that he was ill from a stomach upset.

Kind of on the subject....

When I told my brother about the tour postponement the first words out of his mouth were "couldn't they get another musician for those shows?" :ohmy: :lmao:

I guess the very thought only elicits horror amongst fans. :wink:

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
The whole band let loose in Sydney on that tour. Bono stole a boat off a wharf, and got a girl sacked for whisking her away from a cafe at night in Bondi or Coogee or somewhere. But he later returned her and begged her boss to re-hire her after they'd sat on the beach and watched the sun rise.

Wow, what a story! What I'd give to be that girl :drool:

Earnie Shavers said:

Adam was having a serious drinking problem at the time and wasn't up to playing that night, probably because of a hangover of the night before.
I think the band had a very intense meeting about this incident after the tour... You simply can't run the risk of a musician not being able to play as a result of addiction..

..Luckily, Adam quit drinking somewhere in the mid 90s... :up: :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom