Coexist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zol.

Babyface
I wonder if you know, that the sign "coexist" taken by Bono was designed by a Polish artist- Piotr Młodożeniec for the exhibition in Jerusalem in 2001. Bono has no rights to use it...
Of course, he'd surely get them if he'll ask for permission, but right now it's just a simple STEALING...:(:|

It is indeed a known fact and I am 100% sure that the proper rights were acquired...

:|

I have never heard Bono take credit for it (have never heard him mention the artist by name at a show either) but U2 has a woman that has worked with them since Zoo TV (cant recall her name, but she painted a lot of the trabants, etc.) that is in charge of creating some of the art pieces for the stage shows as well as putting U2 in touch with artists that she thinks can provide appropriate pieces and they either commission new pieces (be it multimedia, etc) or secure rights for existing art...

Last edited:
This artist said he was never asked by anyone... while Bono said he saw it somewhere on the walls of some subway...

It's a simple image... It is possible that few people had the same idea, right?

I know him, he was at the concert yesterday with me and my family, and nobody asked him for anything... he tried to contact the band, but there was no answer...
if you want to check try the site of " coexistence museum"
[www] coexistence.art.museum

international exhibition--> info-> page 3

I'm sure that if somebody would have the same idea as Bono, he'd take care of his rights... :wink:

If this was indeed true, any lawyer could get in touch with U2 if need be and get "Piotr's" art properly credited...

:shrug:

we tried this. you'll never know how difficult it is...
but things are getting better.
the two most important Polish newspapers had already wrote about it (gazeta wyborcza & rzeczpospolita) and he's giving some interviews today...
Poland should be REALLY PROUD !! :D:D

a couple of college students in chicago claimed to have designed it. i think there was an interview with them on interference about it.

Tennis05 said:
a couple of college students in chicago claimed to have designed it. i think there was an interview with them on interference about it.

yes, that's what I thought too, I read about them in a paper, that they couldn't ever have imagined they'd get such a great ad for this image.

Zol. said:
I'm sure that if somebody would have the same idea as Bono, he'd take care of his rights... :wink:

You're still moving forward in the assumption that a) Bono knew it was some artist's idea b) that he would actually need rights, and c) that the band is somehow avoiding your friend.

a) Someone could have seen it liked the idea and spray painted it on a wall and that's where Bono saw it. b) I'm not even sure there would need to be rights given, and c) like Miroslava said lawyers would be on it if this was needed.

By the way, I found an article about this artist and the artist obviously knew that the COEXIST was being used before yesterday's concert and yet he wasn't doing anything about it then.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

By the way, I found an article about this artist and the artist obviously knew that the COEXIST was being used before yesterday's concert and yet he wasn't doing anything about it then.

Would you mind sharing please :sexywink:

Thought that may be a fake Piotr and the dude sitting at the concert is the real Piotr! :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Sure he knew about it. I even read he's happy and proud about u2 using his sign. Don't know what the problem then.

:huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well it's in Polish and I traslated it a few sentences at a time since the translator I found wouldn't do the whole article at once. But here's the article;

http://serwisy.gazeta.pl/kultura/1,34169,2793750.html

Not coming up, but that is fine... my polish skills are not that great despite my given name :wink:

I had found a couple articles too, but also in polish and babelfish doesnt translate to/from polish and I was too lazy to go hunting elsewhere :madspit:

Bottom line is, that I ain't worried :wink:

The whole thing doesn't worry me a bit. Beside Solidarity one, Coexist has now become the second sign designed by a Polish artists which is recognisable all over the world. And that is great :rockon:

All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you steal
All this you can leave behind

Wasn't U2 also accused of "stealing" Zoo TVisms from a female artist?

For all we know, it is possible the Polish artist, the Chicago guys and U2 tour personell got a similar idea independently from each other.

U2girl said:
Wasn't U2 also accused of "stealing" Zoo TVisms from a female artist?
Mysteriously, no one wanted to take credit for any of the PopMart ideas...

typhoon said:

Mysteriously, no one wanted to take credit for any of the PopMart ideas...

:madspit:

Owens searched through hundreds of artists' work looking for images that suited the production. She also helped secure permission to use famous Pop Art images by Roy Lichtenstein (who is 73 and living in Manhattan), Keith Haring, and Andy Warhol. "I then went out and found the animator who could best do Lichtenstein and Haring. That was very key to me, because there was talk about trying to do all of this in-house initially, and I was very obstinate about that not being good enough. I knew that we needed to find the perfect match for each piece."

Owens now believes that the constraints placed on the imagery from not knowing what the screen could handle was an enormous benefit in the long run. "We ended up with a very strong direction because everything was geared to a minimal, powerful, big look instead of having lots of video or lots of Super 8." The seven artists in the show in order of appearance are: Run Wrake (animator); John Maybury (transsexual belly dancer, flower morph, color vortex for "Where the Streets Have No Name"); Straw Donkey (all product logos and motifs); George Barber (Andy Warhol/Marilyn Monroe); Brian Wood (cartoon guy who goes shopping); Jennifer Steincamp (ambient imagery), Carter Kustera (big head silhouettes), and Image Now/Nick and David Ryan (lava lamp blobs).

Back
Top Bottom