COBL is fast growing into my fav U2 track of all time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
I just love city of blinding lights i think its an awesome track which is now even better after hearing it live a real U2 classic!

I don't actually know if I could name a favourite song by U2 anymore. It used to be One, but now I've grown to love so much more right to the level that I love one. It was my favourite U2 song since about 1997.

yes. i really didn't like COBL at first, but it just keeps growning and growing on me. it's definitely in my top 10.

does anyone think the u2 video for COBL is gonna *appear* to be copying the coldplay video for speend of sound? assuming the video uses the bead-light thingies, coldplays video has very similar lookin light structures.

damn you coldplay!:mad:

:wink:

I absolutley love COBL after seeing it live. One of my top 10 fav U2 tracks.

I wish they'd stop using the keyboards for Edge's guitar intro though.

In the recent shows near the end of the first leg, they have the Edge start into the slide bit at the same time that the backing keyboards play the melody, really ticked me off.

I mean, that is true to the album version, but I loved the earlier performances when Edge just started it up from scratch and then the slide part was uninhibited by any backing tracks except for synth, none of the piano stuff.

VertigoGal said:
does anyone think the u2 video for COBL is gonna *appear* to be copying the coldplay video for speend of sound? assuming the video uses the bead-light thingies, coldplays video has very similar lookin light structures.

damn you coldplay!:mad:

:wink:

I thought that very thing! We shall see I guess.

Actually, I found it a little "obvious" that Coldplay were copying U2's stage setups for this video. (The song is titled Speed of SOUND not Speed of LIGHT right?!) I got to give them them credit though....they are copying from the best! I do hope Coldplay will be taking those light/screen thingies on tour with them.

God bless Coldplay! :wink:

I definitely loved COBL from the first time I heard it. It kind of jumped out at me. In my opinion, it's the catchiest song on the album...but then that's just my opinion. :wink:

whitehead said:

I thought that very thing! We shall see I guess.

Actually, I found it a little "obvious" that Coldplay were copying U2's stage setups for this video. (The song is titled Speed of SOUND not Speed of LIGHT right?!) I got to give them them credit though....they are copying from the best! I do hope Coldplay will be taking those light/screen thingies on tour with them.

God bless Coldplay! :wink:

yep, seemed pretty obvious that they were imitating u2 big time there. and some of chris martins arm gestures, posing, etc was pure bono, particularly young bono. at least to me. :)

thanks for the link VG :up:

its a decent video, but it doesnt really capture the excitement of seeing it live

VertigoGal said:
you can watch the vid here:

http://entertainment.msn.co.uk/music/musicvideos2/Default.asp#

but you have to register and shit

Thanks for the link!

I must be getting overly critical of the band here lately but....I don't like Bono's vocals on this video. I applaud them for recording them live instead of just playing a studio version....but his voice just doesn't reach the heavens at all....is that really the best take??!

....I'm not blinded by the lights in this video either! :wink:

I think COBL blows Streets out of the water this tour...actually most of the new songs (save yahweh :wink:) really outshine the old war horses like Pride and New Years Day.

whitehead said:

Thanks for the link!

I must be getting overly critical of the band here lately but....I don't like Bono's vocals on this video. I applaud them for recording them live instead of just playing a studio version....but his voice just doesn't reach the heavens at all....is that really the best take??!

....I'm not blinded by the lights in this video either! :wink:

I think they like it, as it is very obviously overdubbed.

I thought the video was quite good actually.

Last edited:
When we first heard it back in late October (?) live, I came out and said that it was the first time a U2 song really hit me since Stay off Zooropa did. I still feel this way. It is going to be a genuine "U2 classic" in years to come.

Yeah, the Coldplay video reminds me a bit of the Popmart screen setup. It looks like it would make an incredible lightshow backdrop for their gigs.

I personally wouldn't say they were 'imitating' U2 as such, more like they are heavily influenced by U2, and that can't be a bad thing for anyone who likes Coldplay and U2 :wink: But I do take your point, I spotted several Bono like movements in the Speed Of Sound promo video.

I think all members of Coldplay are big U2 fans, I certainly know Chris is, I met him at Elevation Birmingham 15.08.2001. I can see them having the same kind of longevity that U2 has had.

i am in UK and COBL is the song i am most looking forward to hearing live! i just love and i am gonna do my bit to try and get another no 1 for the boys and buy all 3 cd singles!

i didnt care for the song much at first when the Cd first leaked/came out. in fact it was my least favorite for awhile.

now its probably my favorite or second favorite off the album. definitly into my top 10 favorite U2 songs now. dont know how or why it hit me, but it did.

I will always love "City of Blinding Lights" because of the setting where I first saw it played live: the Brooklyn show, with the bridges and Lower Manhattan all lit up beside or behind the band.

Does anyone know if us North Americans will be able to play the European DVD release with COBL live at the Brooklyn Bridge, or is it in the PAL format?

Back
Top Bottom