Choose your least favorite tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2's Worst Tour

• Vertigo Tour

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • Elevation Tour

Votes: 46 25.1%
  • Popmart Tour

Votes: 76 41.5%
  • ZooTV Tour

Votes: 19 10.4%

• Total voters
On the Vertigo Tour, it seems like Bono is not happy at all, not all there. His voice is great on this tour though, don't get me wrong. But the attitude of this tour...Well... I don't know.

On the bootlegs I've heard from Elevation, he seemed to have a great time and the band seemed loose. It's too bad I didn't go to those concerts. :grumpy:

U2dork said:
I'm ineligible to vote in this since I've yet to see the Vertigo tour (woe :( ) but I will say that I've enjoyed each and every U2 show I've been to on the same level and I expect to have the same level of enjoyment for any future shows I see.

hopefully no one here is saying they didn't enjoy themselves...as someone said earlier - even u2's worst tour is better than most band's best. even though i voted for vertigo i fully intend to enjoy the two shows i'm seeing this fall.

patrickU217 said:
There may have been only a couple of 2,5 hour shows, thats true, but most European shows are longer than 2 hours, which has been the case rarely with the other tours mentioned here. Just look at the setlist, where 24-26 songs is no exception, while Elevation often had a maximum of 22 songs.

And why would they compensate the US leg in Europe? This makes no sense at all. What is there to compensate, the US leg was great IMO. Of course they want to give some more when playing stadiums of 50.000 people, but i think they give more now than during Popmart, when they also played stadiums.
You are misunderstanding me... With Popmart they ONLY played stadiums, so there was nothing to compensate... This tour they are playing arena's for 16.000 people and stadiums for 60.000 people...

these voting results are finally starting to look normal, my world makes sense again :drool:

Neilz said:

You are misunderstanding me... With Popmart they ONLY played stadiums, so there was nothing to compensate... This tour they are playing arena's for 16.000 people and stadiums for 60.000 people...

ok i understand your point, but this still doesnt answer the question why most Vertigo stadiumshows now go beyond the 2 hr limit with longer setlists, while this wasnt the case with previous stadium tours. A Zooropa or Popmart show rarely lasted longer than 2 hours, the stadium shows in the 80s often lasted only 90 mins (remember Rotterdam 1987?).

But i dont think this should turn into a discussion on the average length of a Vertigo show. I was just trying to say that to me it seems the band is very energetic, Bono is in a fine shape and they are really into it. When i went to Elevation the band seemed very tired and they didnt seem tired now.

patrickU217 said:
ok i understand your point, but this still doesnt answer the question why most Vertigo stadiumshows now go beyond the 2 hr limit with longer setlists, while this wasnt the case with previous stadium tours. A Zooropa or Popmart show rarely lasted longer than 2 hours, the stadium shows in the 80s often lasted only 90 mins (remember Rotterdam 1987?).
The standard has become 2 hours for a (big) rockshow... No shorter at least... This means that the arena shows in the US must at least be 2 hour long... But also doing stadiums this tour in Europe with a very modest stage design (the screen is rented and the basic stage is the arena version) made them probably compensate this in a somewhat longer show...

If they would have done stadium's all around the world this tour, the stage would most likely have been better/more designed and a 2.5 hour set wouldn't be necessary...

My feeling is that they know that the Europe stage design is not what they normally would come up with for a stadium rock show. Plus the fact that the Europeans paid about the same the Americans did, only they got a fully designed show + intimacy... That's why they probably throw in another 20 minutes or so this leg... IMHO that is of course...

But we can see if I am right with this on the 3rd leg... They will most likely go back to a strict 2 hour show... I also don't feel that Bono is that energetic at all... There is nothing spontanious about the length of any U2 show you see... Only on a very rare occasion the show get 'funny'... But all encores and all that is planned...

Last edited:
Neilz said:

The standard has become 2 hours for a (big) rockshow... No shorter at least... This means that the arena shows in the US must at least be 2 hour long... But also doing stadiums this tour in Europe with a very modest stage design (the screen is rented and the basic stage is the arena version) made them probably compensate this in a somewhat longer show...

If they would have done stadium's all around the world this tour, the stage would most likely have been better/more designed and a 2.5 hour set wouldn't be necessary...

My feeling is that they know that the Europe stage design is not what they normally would come up with for a stadium rock show. Plus the fact that the Europeans paid about the same the Americans did, only they got a fully designed show + intimacy... That's why they probably throw in another 20 minutes or so this leg... IMHO that is of course...

But we can see if I am right with this on the 3rd leg... They will most likely go back to a strict 2 hour show... I also don't feel that Bono is that energetic at all... There is nothing spontanious about the length of any U2 show you see... Only on a very rare occasion the show get 'funny'... But all encores and all that is planned...

So you're basically saying that a longer show should make up for a "poor" stage design? I find that very hard to believe. Obviously, the stage design doesn't match the standards of Zoo TV and Popmart, but other than that i really don't see what's wrong with the stage design in the stadiums. To me it seems like a perfect stage for a rock show, with the emphasis on the musical performance rather than the viewing spectacle. And that's exactly what they wanted to achieve this time around. And what do you mean with "a fully designed show" in the US? I don't think the design in the US differred much from that in Europe, other than things were a bit smaller over there, because of the smaller venues.

And of course everything is planned, even the encores, but this has always been the case when it comes to a u2 concert, certainly the concerts in the 90s. Zoo TV and Popmart also weren't very spontaneous.

I'm withholding my vote until after I see some more shows this tour, my feelings about it are still evolving. However, not including this tour, I too would have to vote for ZooTV! I dunno, I know it was very innovative but it left me a bit cold (yes, I did attend a couple of shows), also I really didn't like that Macphisto dude... :reject:

01 Intro (Pop Muzik)
02 Mofo
03 I Will Follow
04 Gone
05 Even Better Than The Real Thing
06 Last Night On Earth
07 Until The End Of The World

08 New Year's Day
09 Pride (In The Name Of Love)
10 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11 All I Want Is You
12 Staring At The Sun
13 Sunday Bloody Sunday
14 Miami > Bullet The Blue Sky

15 Please
16 Where The Streets Have No Name
17 Lemon (taped mix)
18 Discothèque
19 If You Wear That Velvet Dress,

20 With Or Without You
21 Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me,
22 Mysterious Ways
23 One
24 Wake Up Dead Man

this is a normal setlist for the Popmart Tour..... i think that its a great setlist and beats out the elevation tour, which is why i voted for it...just my opinion

I voted for Elevation, but it was a tough decision. The Vertigo tour was the first time I saw U2, and it was a personally amazing experience, so there's no way I could vote for that. I think Zoo TV is the most brillant tour by any band of all time and is what initially got me so obsessed with U2. Popmart is just too over the top and fun, and has the best standard setlist of any tour. Even though I love Elevation and it had some great performances, I just feel it's the weakest among the four :shrug:

U2Girl1978 said:
On the Vertigo Tour, it seems like Bono is not happy at all, not all there. His voice is great on this tour though, don't get me wrong. But the attitude of this tour...Well... I don't know.

On the bootlegs I've heard from Elevation, he seemed to have a great time and the band seemed loose. It's too bad I didn't go to those concerts. :grumpy:
eh? bono has been in a VERY good mood during this tour, he always seems to be smiling, i always thought he didnt look to happy during elevation myself

also try saying what you thinks missing, people always say "somethings missing" without going into what it is, because me personally i dont think anything is missing, infact everythings there and more imo

p.s. bono wasnt very happy at all when his father was passing away, and 9/11

I'm not voting on this, either. Sorry, but I can't fully judge a performance based solely on a bootleg. Seeing it in person gives you a completely different perspective. I wonder how many people who voted ZooTV as the worst actually saw one of the shows? The band sounded great, but you really have to tie in the show as a whole - it was a major spectacle.

I've seen U2 on this tour and back on ZooTV, but missed the other two. The show I saw in Boston in May was incredible, but so was the ZooTV Outside Broadcast back in 1992, and the setlist was fantastic. I'd pick that one first if I had to.

phanan said:
I'm not voting on this, either. Sorry, but I can't fully judge a performance based solely on a bootleg. Seeing it in person gives you a completely different perspective. I wonder how many people who voted ZooTV as the worst actually saw one of the shows? The band sounded great, but you really have to tie in the show as a whole - it was a major spectacle.

I've seen U2 on this tour and back on ZooTV, but missed the other two. The show I saw in Boston in May was incredible, but so was the ZooTV Outside Broadcast back in 1992, and the setlist was fantastic. I'd pick that one first if I had to.
people can still say it was the worst even if they have been

The Elevation show in Rhode island is the only time U2 have ever disapointed me, so I voted Elevation.

And yeah, I was also at the famous Albany show. The one they call Bono's nightmare. I got up to the front of the walkway and Bono was not himself that night...

Elevation, i guess because i like atyclb the least out of the albums promoted from the tours

I voted for Elevation.

ZooTV and PopMart were awesome, not only because of all the crazy stages and characters, but because I liked the setlists better. (Only because they were touring for 2 of my favorite albums.) Elevation and Vertigo are similar, but the Bomb is a better album than ATYCLB, and the setlists are all around better and longer.

Keep in mind I've never actually been to a U2 concert. :wink:

thefly418 said:
01 Intro (Pop Muzik)
02 Mofo
03 I Will Follow
04 Gone
05 Even Better Than The Real Thing
06 Last Night On Earth
07 Until The End Of The World
08 New Year's Day
09 Pride (In The Name Of Love)
10 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11 All I Want Is You
12 Staring At The Sun
13 Sunday Bloody Sunday
14 Miami > Bullet The Blue Sky
15 Please
16 Where The Streets Have No Name
17 Lemon (taped mix)

18 Discothèque
19 If You Wear That Velvet Dress,
20 With Or Without You

21 Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me,
22 Mysterious Ways
23 One
24 Wake Up Dead Man

this is a normal setlist for the Popmart Tour..... i think that its a great setlist and beats out the elevation tour, which is why i voted for it...just my opinion
Great setlist indeed. :drool: :bow:

TheBrazilianFly said:

What happened? I never heard of this. :ohmy:

I was at that show too...Bono was sick as a dog, and REALLY struggling with the voice all show. I could see it in his face (I was in the heart on the front rail), although others in the stands apparently didn't notice as much!

Anyway, Bono really had a hard time that show, but the crowd and band were really supportive and we all carried each other, as they say in One...

I voted for Elevation. I haven't seen the Vertigo show yet but I have seen the other three tours and I prefer the stadium spectacle of Zoo TV and Popmart to the more intimate arena shows like Elevation. That's not to say I didn't like the Elevation tour. It was fantastic. I just liked the other tours better. I don't think they'll ever top Zoo TV.

phanan said:

I voted for Zoo as my least favorite and I actually saw 8 Zoo shows. I thought Zoo was great, it was just my least favorite out of the four. There is no bad U2 tour IMO. :shrug:

Chizip said:

VOTE DAMNIT :mad:

Okay I voted just cuz you told me to, I do it only for you Chizip :wink:

I voted for Elevation...cuz...cuz...I don't know! It's so hard. Setlist wise Popmart was my favourite, 'cause Pop is my favourite album. But setlist variation goes to Vertigo. ZooTV wins for stage design, though Popmart isn't too far behind. Performance wise U2 is probably at their best this tour. Elevation had the most inimate performances, but...I don't know. I'll say right now I don't think there is anything lacking in any U2 tour.

Wait, I take that back. There are two albums lacking from this tour :wink:

Back
Top Bottom