Chicago DVD should be cancelled imo! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Chicago DVD should be cancelled imo!

After seeing the Good Morning America clips from Chicago, there is no doubt in my mind that the upcoming Vertigo Tour DVD should be rerecorded (Can someone confirm that the GMA-clips is from the night that will feature on the DVD?)

I have heard/seen about every bootleg from this tour, and there is no doubt that Bono's voice is really crap on the GMA-clips compared to the other concerts on this tour. He's almost rapping Vertigo, because of his hoarseness... "Sometimes" isn´t regular quality either.

I have no problem buying a U2 DVD that isn´t top-of-the-line, but if I was not a fan, I would be really disappointed. Vertigo Tour 2005 is the biggest rock tour this year, and the Chicago show is NOT AT ALL comparable to the high quality of most of the shows this tour...

What do you think?

(I know there is no way the DVD will not be released, but compared to Boston/Slane from Elevation, this will be a really big disappointment...)

Old 05-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
The Fly

Re: Chicago DVD should be cancelled imo!

GMA had their own gear for that recording of Chicago I (acording to Willie's diary), and also Chicago I was not recorded for the DVD. Chicago II anad III are to be used for the DVD. I believe this was discussed on the U2torrent forum and elsewhere here.

Old 05-29-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:26 AM
I was at the show on the 9th and I had a good view of the crowd. Besides the GA going crazy, I did not see much from the rest of the crowd that match the excitement on the floor. I have a feeling some people will be disappointed.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:26 AM
On the contrary. I think Bono sounds way better then he did on Elevation tour (Slane and Boston combined). And you can't really tell how Bono sounds from audience recordings.

I think Bono sounds as best as he can. His best voice is gone since min 90's. You have to remember that.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 05:26 AM
The whole crowd was really into Boston II, but I guess we can't get two tours in a row from the same city.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
War Child

Yeah at first i thought that Vertigo sounded like he was struggling a bit more than usual, but after listening to it several times the raspiness actually sounds pretty cool and controlled and he does hit all the high notes in it. The other three songs sound good to me, so I think that the performance will actually be pretty awesome when seen in full.
That's interesting to hear that the GMA had their own recording equipment but the performances are almost certainly from the third show(beautiful day for sure as bono says "on my birthday!" and the others presumably are from the same day.)
Old 05-29-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by markoajda
On the contrary. I think Bono sounds way better then he did on Elevation tour (Slane and Boston combined). And you can't really tell how Bono sounds from audience recordings.

I think Bono sounds as best as he can. His best voice is gone since min 90's. You have to remember that.
You have obviously not heard the GMA videos. These are proshots...

I think Bono sounds better than ever this tour. But on the GMA songs he has something going on in his throat...

I shurely hope the GMA clips is not the night that will be on the DVD. I have heard Bono was way better the other Chicago shows...
Old 05-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 03:26 AM
my problem with the DVD is different .... with the official recording/dvd you lose the crowd, you lose seeing the whole show, you lose hearing everyone sing along, you lose waiting in the GA line. Its just not the same. I'd take one of ChrisEdge's recordings and one of our audience DVD's anytime over an official release...at least that will bring me back to the concert. An official recording that doens't sound anything like I heard or an official dvd that zooms in on Bono the entire time that doesn't resemble what I saw just doens't do it for me.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by njelevation06
my problem with the DVD is different .... with the official recording/dvd you lose the crowd, you lose seeing the whole show, you lose hearing everyone sing along, you lose waiting in the GA line. Its just not the same. I'd take one of ChrisEdge's recordings and one of our audience DVD's anytime over an official release...(...)
Allthough this is a bit of topic...

I agree with you. The audience recordings capture the concert experiance the best.

I think the official DVD releases have taken over for the live CDs, and they are doing a great job in that fashion... Hamish Hamilton really generates special moments with his directing...

I really enjoy putting in a U2 DVD in my 5.1 system and blast out for 2 hours, not to get the concert experiance, but to get a great U2 experiance with brilliant audio and video... (Allthough I agree that there should be mixed in more crowd noise sometimes...)
Old 05-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by L03VIk

I think Bono sounds better than ever this tour. But on the GMA songs he has something going on in his throat...

I shurely hope the GMA clips is not the night that will be on the DVD. I have heard Bono was way better the other Chicago shows...
Well yes I did see GMA and he sounds fine to me.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by L03VIk

Yeah, like what's already been said over and over.....the problems w/ Bono's voice were Chicago I which was NOT recorded for the DVD. Just II and III were. So you can relax and forget about the GMA clips.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #12
War Child

beautiful day was definitely recorded on night 3 because bono says at the end "on my birthday" which was on may 10th, the third night. Since that's the case, I'd imagine the other three songs came from the third show too. in any case the songs sound good to me.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by markoajda

Well yes I did see GMA and he sounds fine to me.
I didn´t wan´t to be rude or anything. I just didn´t understand what you said about it´s hard to judge Bonos voice in audience recordings, since the GMA shots where proshot.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #14
The Fly

i'v heard lots of bootlegs from this tour and i agree bono seems to be struggling.........the rest of the band however is at their PEAK!!!! also chicago 4 is one of bono's best nights vocally this year.......but i dont think chicago 4 is goin to be used for the dvd definitely one of the best performances by the band so far on this tour

P.S
bono's studio voice is as good as ever.......but he can barely sing live these days (listen to dirty day from zoo tv sydney for comparison - one of best vocal performances of ALL time; and not just by bono!!!!)
Old 05-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

thought bono sounded fine on the GMA vids