Chicago alert: will the Bulls bump U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
Yikes--this could be scary for us planning on a great chicago week!!! This is from a U2 list I am on. love, Anu

"Jean Dowling" <> Add to Address Book
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:59:45 -0500
Subject: [u2-list] United Center in Chicago and basketball playoff schedule

OK here we go!!

the Bulls have made the playoffs with home-court advantage. good for them. bad for us??

what happens if the Bulls make it to the next round of playoffs and the games clash with the scheduled U2 shows??

do they move the shows, cancel or just reschedule??

the United Center, IS, afterall, primarily for the Bulls and Hawks to play in. Thank God there was no hockey this year!!

anyone run into this problem before?

im sure when they scheduled the U2 showsit never occurred to anyone that the Bulls might do WELL this year!!

MPG---hoping the Bulls pull a Chicago-team move and choke early on...not that im not HAPPY for them or anything....

The schedule around the U2 shows. This happened during the playoffs during Elevation. They were actually playing in Philly during the finals. There was actually an unusually long break in the finals of 3 days b/c the arena in Philly was already booked for U2.

U2 will play on, don't worry.

I started writing a lengthy post explaining how and why there would be no break, but I'll save you guys the time... There is no way U2 will get bumped by the Bulls.

The short reasons why not:

There are too many off-days during the NBA playoffs schedule, and it's not a given that the Bulls will have home court in the second round of the playoffs either (assuming the Bulls even get past the first round).

If the Bulls make it into the second round without home court, then the stage crew will be ticked because they'll have to load and unload between the 5/10 and 5/12 shows. If the Bulls make it into the second round with home court, then the stage crew will probably have to load and unload 2 times, i.e., between the 5/7 and 5/9 shows AND the 5/10 and 5/12 shows.

The shows, themselves, will go on as scheduled!

i heard that if the bulls make it to the second round they will cancel the chicago shows

and they will play in my basement instead

They will not move the shows. Same thing is happening for the Seattle shows this weekend. The Sonics will play Sat and wont play again until Tues because of the U2 shows Sun/Mon

I heard they are just going to keep the lights on and do the best they can to have the game play around the fans. Should make for an interesting game.:wink:

tkramer said:
Could you see Bono trying to score on Kirk Hinrich? That'd be fun to watch... :)

Well considering his dribbling ehibition he put on the half-time NBA finals thing back in '01 (which they edited out in the Video), I don't think Bono has a prayer. Plus he's like 5-8 with his big shoes on. :)

Originally posted by Chizip
i heard that if the bulls make it to the second round they will cancel the chicago shows

and they will play in my basement instead

Post of the Day :D

the only way the Bulls would have home court advantage in the second round is if the Miami Heat were to lose, which is highly unlikely.

there is no story... no shows will be canceled, and the bulls won't have to move any games.

the nba enjoys stretching their playoff rounds out as long as possiable. last year a 7 game first round playoff series actually took 20 days to complete. they do this for TV reasons... they don't want two games on at the same time.

back in the 1950s the new york rangers had to play a home playoff game on the road because the circus was booked for madison square garden... it ain't the 50s anymore.

the only thing that u2 might have to do, if there is a conflict, is pull their staging out of the arena until the game is over, and then load it all back in again after the areana is cleared out.

the only way this is even an issue is if the miami heat lose in the first round... the chances of that are greater now that it looks like they'll have to face a surging nets team, in addition to shaq being banged up... but even though there's a chance... i wouldn't exactly bet the farm on it.

long story short... relax. the concerts won't be canceled.

I'd like to see them put the court down on the end opposite the ellipse, and have the game as the opening act instead of Kings of Leon.

Back
Top Bottom