Checking integrity of tickets BEFORE making a third-party purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgoth321

Acrobat
Hello all,

Like so many of you, I was unable to score Dublin tickets at all in February. I've since made contact with someone through another fansite who's willing to sell me some tickets, and through our general correspondence I feel confident that this person is trustworthy and genuine.

Just for my own peace of mind, I emailed Ticketmaster asking if they would verify the seller's reference number. How likely is it that they'll respond though (since TM frown so much upon third party transactions)? This may seem like a rather pointless post, as I guess my answer will come from TM itself, but any other suggestions are welcome.

Or, to stimulate discussion, the topic could be something like: stories about third party ticket transactions (good or bad). I think the merits or otherwise of eBay et al have been discussed enough in this forum, so perhaps it's best to concentrate on non-eBay / broker stuff.

P.S. I also asked TM for an update on 1) the likelihood of a 3rd Dublin show (which I personally doubt, btw); 2) the possibility of additional tickets being released for the existing shows. I'll let you know if I get any responses on the above.

try and pay through paypal or using your credit card - that way you can recover you monies if the deal is bad.

I recently got ripped off bying Nine Inch Nails tickets and my credit card company were superb in refunding me.

If the seller has a history on the board and hasn't just signed up recently to rip off members you will be ok, i'm sure.

Good luck

Myself, I would ask the seller to show me the Ticketmaster confirmation page. If this person didn't print this, they are still able to access this proof by going to "My Account" on Ticketmaster and providing this info to you. This above all will be proof they're legit. No need to rely on Ticketmaster, the seller should be able to provide this.

Reply from Ticketmaster:

"That reference number is indeed valid for the seats you have asked about below, but since the tickets you are getting could simply have been duplicated from the genuine originals - this happens all the time - we can in no way guarantee authenticity. It is very possible you will not gain admittance to the event with these tickets. If you are willing to risk it, however, we cannot stop you.

There are no plans for a third U2 date - any news to the contrary is simply media gossip; and no further tickets are available for release for either of the current shows as the entire allocation for both has been sold."

Observations: As always, Caveat Emptor ('Let the buyer beware')!

The person I'm dealing with is PayPal enabled, and also volunteered that they have 100% eBay feedback on a wide range of transactions (which I checked). I'm going to go for it, especially as it appears that there's going to be no more chances to buy Dublin tickets 'officially'.

Just as an aside, and merely for reference, you can check the actual ticket once you have it in hand. Ticketmaster tickets are printed on heat sensitive card stock. Passing a lighter quickly underneath the corner of a ticket (don't touch the flame to it, just get the heat nearby) should result in blackening (again, don't burn it--the black should be like ink, not ash). Fraudulent tickets will not likely have this heat-sensitive feature. Again, do this carefully and in an inconspicuous corner of the ticket (like the lower corner of the rip-off part of the stub) so as not to blacken any necessary information or bar code.

Back
Top Bottom