Can We Take Legal Action?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sue for WHAT?

They may not exactly have any communication with the fans, but I don't see what Coppel/U2/whoever has done that's actually breached any laws.

Now, if they just kept our money and never put on a show, then a case might exist.

Axver said:
Sue for WHAT?

They may not exactly have any communication with the fans

Hmmm, I know Telstra doesnt have many fans, but if we could Sue for lack of comunication, they'd have been closed down a long time ago :wink:

Can we take legal action against a tour promoter? I’m not quite sure what Coppel has done that is worthy to be sued over. It was Bono that opened his mouth.

Michael Coppel has some things to answer for….but not anything that is worthy of a court case – It would be thrown out!

But in the meantime time what is Michael Coppel doing? Is he busy working hard to reschedule all the tour dates? Is he busy coming up with an explanation on why he has been silent on u2 for three months? Or is he busy popping champagne with his tour mates celebrating the interest generating from that $45 million that is sitting in his bank account? (assuming that’s where our money is)

bono_man2002 said:

Hmmm, I know Telstra doesnt have many fans, but if we could Sue for lack of comunication, they'd have been closed down a long time ago :wink:

:lmao:

I'm no lawyer but I'd be amazed if you recover losses as a result of the posponement. Tickets normally include a clause saying tha t they have the right to change.

However if anyone has incurred financial losses as a result of working on the basis that it would be rescheduled for November then you MAY have a case. Say...you paid a fee to keep an airline ticket open pending a second imminent announcement when you needn't have done.

In the UK we have 'Small Claims' procedures that are really cheap to instigate but have all the legal requirements of the other party to either defend or pay up. Anything similar around the world?

adrball said:
I'm no lawyer but I'd be amazed if you recover losses as a result of the posponement. Tickets normally include a clause saying tha t they have the right to change.

Yep, and it's not like U2 is the first big act to postpone. Coldplay anyone?

Not to mention that whatever any one individual's financial losses are as a result of postponement, the band's are probably 100 times greater.

I'm pretty sure everyone (ticket company, promoter, band, etc) has their asses covered legally. Good luck finding a loophole without going bankrupt in the process.

You are legally entitled to a refund, because although the tickets would still be valid, they're for a different date, ie the product is different to the one you agreed to buy.

You could only sue if the ticket agency failed to give you a refund, but you wouldn't stand a chance getting any money back for other losses incurred.

worsttopic.jpg

I would read the fine print on the ticket. I am quite certain the band is within its fiduciary duty to postpone a show.

They did not ask you to buy the ticket, the airfare or anythign else, you chose to do so.

I am a little sickened by this thread actually, why would you think about suing the band or the promoter for postponing a show due to an illness in the family?

They said they would play in December, and I have not heard anything to the contrary. They do not owe you a press release, news conference or anything else. They will reschedule and play when they can.

I am not entirely sure I understand what the "fuck up" is.

Ellay said:
You are legally entitled to a refund, because although the tickets would still be valid, they're for a different date, ie the product is different to the one you agreed to buy.

Wouldn't it have said somewhere on the ticket or on the webpage when you purchase the ticket it mentions that they are not liable for changes in date/postponement? Therefore, the product is not different because by purchasing the ticket, you agreed to the condition that the event may be postponed and rescheduled.

adrball said:
i'm just pissed with the unnecessary silence

Sure, but what do you expect them to say if there is nothing to say? Everyone was demanding some sort of statement, so I get the feeling Bono was under real pressure to give us SOMETHING when he said "November" and that there would be news on "Tuesday", but when that wasn't possible (not something in his control anyway), everyone got pissed. So now what? They made the mistake of giving a statement for the sake of giving a statement and people got pissed. Now they're holding their tongues until there is actually information to release. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

let them record first, and then be happy that you're probably going to hear some new tunes when it's your turn to see them.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Sure, but what do you expect them to say if there is nothing to say? Everyone was demanding some sort of statement, so I get the feeling Bono was under real pressure to give us SOMETHING when he said "November" and that there would be news on "Tuesday", but when that wasn't possible (not something in his control anyway), everyone got pissed. So now what? They made the mistake of giving a statement for the sake of giving a statement and people got pissed. Now they're holding their tongues until there is actually information to release. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
and the funny thing was, bono never once during that interview said the word "definatley" he never said "we will definatley have news on tuesday" infact if i remember correct he said "hopefully" or something to that affect,

but yet he got/is getting slammed for giving news which he obviously thought might happen.

so as said if the band or mangement came out and gave another statement that could be wrong again, then whats the point?, they have given the reason for the postponment, and its obvious they want to keep the family member away from the public eye ( even though speculation points at someone thats all it is, speculation) the band are in a no win situation regarding this i feel.

KUEFC09U2 said:
and the funny thing was, bono never once during that interview said the word "definatley" he never said "we will definatley have news on tuesday" infact if i remember correct he said "hopefully" or something to that affect,

but yet he got/is getting slammed for giving news which he obviously thought might happen.

so as said if the band or mangement came out and gave another statement that could be wrong again, then whats the point?, they have given the reason for the postponment, and its obvious they want to keep the family member away from the public eye ( even though speculation points at someone thats all it is, speculation) the band are in a no win situation regarding this i feel.

he clearly led everyone to believe that the dates were to be released very, very soon. saying "maybe as early as tomorrow" and then not hearing anything for months is very poor form on u2's behalf. just adds the the notion that u2 are moving further and further away from their fans. its a disgrace!

though suing is way too far...its australia, not america!!

bono_man said:

he clearly led everyone to believe that the dates were to be released very, very soon. saying "maybe as early as tomorrow" and then not hearing anything for months is very poor form on u2's behalf. just adds the the notion that u2 are moving further and further away from their fans. its a disgrace!

But why the constant assuption that Bono/U2 have the ability to make these decisions and decide what to say and when?

Bono said what the fans had been pressuring him to say. Sounds like if anything, he was trying to acknowledge that they weren't ignoring the pressure from fans.

bono_man said:

though suing is way too far...its australia, not america!!

You'd think so, however, per capita New South Wales is the most litigious place in the world! The US comes second. (This came from a lawyer's conference my wife went to.)

I think there are more stupid cases in the US though...

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

But why the constant assuption that Bono/U2 have the ability to make these decisions and decide what to say and when?

Bono said what the fans had been pressuring him to say. Sounds like if anything, he was trying to acknowledge that they weren't ignoring the pressure from fans.

without this turning into yet another discussion about this, he made a decision to say that. he could have just said they are resheduling the dates and will have them out as soon as they can. that would have been fine. but he didnt.

his very worlds were "we could have them as soon as tomorrow". even if they werent released the next day, saying something like that one would assume they are not too far off at all, maybe a week or two. but with the months going by and silence from the U2 camp, its just wrong on their behalf.

it was his decision to say what he said. he could have worded things alot better and maybe some of us would have more respect for him.

martha said:

Indeed. How dare someone's loved one become so ill that a major world tour be postponed and then need to be rescheduled, working around the personal schedules of dozens, if not hundreds, of workers.
:rolleyes:

that got nothing to do with it. i'd have understood if the whole tour was cancelled. i would have cancelled if i was in their position.

its the fact that bono said "as early as tomorrow" months ago and we havent heard a peep. even something about that comment being wrong and plans are still in progress or the illness situation isnt resolved yet. to say nothing at all when people spent so much money and time is a disgrace.

any company that treats their customers like that doesnt care for their clientel.

Back
Top Bottom