Can We Take Legal Action?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bono_man said:
any company that treats their customers like that doesnt care for their clientel.

Have you tried writing a letter of complaint to their customer service department?

bono_man said:

even something about that comment being wrong and plans are still in progress or the illness situation isnt resolved yet.

Isn't that pretty obvious. You really need "an official" comment that says, "still working on it" to not be a discrace?

It's pretty much a given that until you get a "tour cancelled" statement, that they are still working on it.

This post is made by pure frustration of not hearing anything for 3 months..... We would like some news please..... Can someone please ring up Bono and ask him when the tour is happening?

bono_man said:

his very worlds were "we could have them as soon as tomorrow". even if they werent released the next day, saying something like that one would assume they are not too far off at all, maybe a week or two. but with the months going by and silence from the U2 camp, its just wrong on their behalf.

it was his decision to say what he said. he could have worded things alot better and maybe some of us would have more respect for him.

What if the planner/promoter told him "it will most likely be tomorrow, tell them very soon...." so he did. So shoot him. He told us exactly what we wanted to hear and then someone else did not follow through. The "U2 camp" are not the only people involved in the existence of a world tour. Maybe you should write to the promoters and the venues and ask THEM why there is still no word?

U2FanPeter said:
Seeing as the November dates are only 6 months away I wonder if they have actually contracted any of their crew to do the tour.

6 months seems like plenty of time considering that they first announced info on ticket sales at the end of Jan. '05 and the tour started only two months later.

I mean the dozen or two techs and roadies with specific U2 duties.

In recent u2 tours they are on retainer/booked/contracted as much as 2 years in advance.

Sorta like how interference members found out that tour originally had to end in mid april. The crew had other jobs.

u2fp

bono_man said:

he clearly led everyone to believe that the dates were to be released very, very soon. saying "maybe as early as tomorrow" and then not hearing anything for months is very poor form on u2's behalf. just adds the the notion that u2 are moving further and further away from their fans. its a disgrace!

though suing is way too far...its australia, not america!!

I thought the point of that interview was that U2 is coming back to Australia, "looks like" November.
(regardless of when the dates are announced) Also, if you took a "maybe" as a definite "dates are here" message...let me sue the weatherman next time he says "maybe" it will rain and it doesn't.

I think it was actually positive he said anything at all (imagine the uproar if he didn't say anything about coming back) and that they didn't cancel everything in March (imagine the uproar, again). Of course, this both translates to NOT caring about the fans.

The only respect I see sliding away is for some people who react in super-whining mode about this. (including some who have seen plenty of Vertigo shows already)

I think the promotor that said November (you think that wasn't the plan at the time? go with dates asap, but then something came up?) to him in the first place should say something. Agreed, the management could have posted a short "we're working on it". (not that the current silence necessarily means they're not working on it, as has been stated by both Rocko Reedy and Edge, more recently)
But, it is not up to any of the band members to do that. Booking or announcing of the actual dates.

Last edited:
I agree with adrball. We all want to see the band. We respect that something was not right with something or someone. We were told by Bono in an interview that an announcement would be made within several days the day before he left Sydney in April.

We are just pissed with the unnecessary silence.

As far as the money goes, the band will have been penalised for not fronting. Coppel will have the tidy sum of money earning him a salary in interest we all can only dream of.

Come on Coppel earn your living and have some balls and front up.

We are just pissed with the unnecessary silence.

martha said:
Well, in that case, I'm pissed that HTDAAB wasn't really "punk rock from Venus," because that's what Bono said it would be.

:hmm: Maybe I'll join in the lawsiut.

:lol: Make that a class action! Reminds me of a case we studied in business law - a woman sued Arthur Murray (the dance studio guy) because he told her she had great legs and could be a great dancer, she spend hundreds of thousands on danced lessons and still sucked big time.

U2FanPeter said:

In recent u2 tours they are on retainer/booked/contracted as much as 2 years in advance.

You honestly believe that? You honestly think U2 knows anything 2 years in advance?

Come on.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You honestly believe that? You honestly think U2 knows anything 2 years in advance?

Come on.

Popmart is what happens when you book months/years in advance. It's much more informal than that - one full tour every 4 years kinda attitude.

That said, a half dozen people like Dallas and Willie they need to book seriously in advance. Just a business expense. They don't want Dallas stuck on a year-long Springsteen or Eagles tour when Edge needs him.

u2fp

I promise that this is my FINAL comment on this issue until they either reschedule or cancel.

I must appear to be really insensitive to the bands situation at present - suing above, regular demand for update etc etc. U2girl has been pretty consistent in damning the views that I've expressed and similar views expressed by others.

I do fully accept that there must have been a very good reason for the postponement . I'm sure it was a painful decision to make and one that was very carefully considered. I respected their decision because they clearly communicated that they felt that they had no other option - my financial loss by comparison was unimportant. I am in no way insensitive.

So Why Have They Been Quiet? - The opposing views to mine seem to be centred around 'why bother if nothing has changed?' Well I think circumstances have changed. Bono certainly led (if not said) us to believe that they were very close to rescheduling. He was talking about days. Even if he was exagerating how quickly it might be resolved- nearly 3 months is not anywhere near the same ballpark as 'days'. Either it was never a case of being days away (in which case someone ought really have put the record straight then) OR circumstances have changed. If the latter it true then I really don't believe that affected ticketholders are being insensitive to wanting to know what is going on.

MODS - If I post here again on this subject please BAN me!

this is my last post on this matter too, we're spinning in circles anyway

adrball said:
I U2girl has been pretty consistent in damning the views that I've expressed and similar views expressed by others.

Just so you know, I wasn't referring to your posts or you specifically.

There is a difference between saying "I'd like an update from U2 management/tour promotors" and "let's lynch Bono/sue the band" attitude.

As for why nothing has been said, you just answered it yourself. Bottom line, I'm sure the U2 organisation will notify us when they have something definite to announce.

adrball said:

Even if he was exagerating how quickly it might be resolved- nearly 3 months is not anywhere near the same ballpark as 'days'.

IMO, Bono goofed and he probably regrets making that statement. To me, it shows that he is not surrounded by handlers and minders like politicians and other celebrities, and was not "coached" about what to say (or not).

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What? This makes no sense.

Zootv came after an 18 month band/media blackout and was book much in advance. After the initial success of the Spring 92 dates they were booking shows deep into 93.

Popmart was booked far in advance. The tour dates were so rigid that the band got into a serious bind. The tour was likely shopped to promotors in late 95/early 96. Willie and friends likely started doing initial planning around this time. Some dates were announced 9 months in advance.

Elevation was much more open ended and would only start when the band was well and ready. They likely had inner circle crew on the payroll from early 2000 and booked until New Year 2002(There was a 2002 Europe summer tour scheduled but cancelled)

Vertigo was booked/planning into 2006 when they were still rehearsing in Vancouver(Vh1 special) They may have pushed back ticket sales(or was it date announcement) 6 weeks, but they still had all the crew booked. McGuinness even tried denying(laughably) that "March 1st - Miami" was ever officially announced the public. Fans here knew in November 2005 that the band had to play it's final show by April 15th.

Why do I bring all this up? Since it's only 6 month s away it can be easy to find out if U2 will play these shows before Xmas. Is the Staging still in Sydney? Is Rocco, Dallas and Willie still considering the tour happening and are they doing other tours? Is the Promotor still optimistic? Why did Bono get a buzz cut?

I think U2 still wants to ply these shows in the foreseeable future. According to the promotor, the delays have already cost the band several million. If they wanted to weasel out of the dates they'd pay the promotor to rip up the contracts. There's easier ways to solve problems than let $ sit in a bank collecting interest. I can't help but think that U2 has affected plans for other stadium shows, by opther acts, down under in the second half of 2006.

As for Bono's Australian Tv interview - I remember it being mostly MakePovertyHistory based with a some casual remarks about the tour.

u2fp

trabantland said:

If it's so 'simple', then they should tell their fans that 'we simply don't know when we will reschedule'.
Here I'll quote myself:

Isn't that pretty obvious. You really need "an official" comment that says, "still working on it" to not be a discrace?

It's pretty much a given that until you get a "tour cancelled" statement, that they are still working on it.

trabantland said:

Simple my arse.

What's not simple about that?:huh:

U2FanPeter said:

Zootv came after an 18 month band/media blackout and was book much in advance. After the initial success of the Spring 92 dates they were booking shows deep into 93.

Popmart was booked far in advance. The tour dates were so rigid that the band got into a serious bind. The tour was likely shopped to promotors in late 95/early 96. Willie and friends likely started doing initial planning around this time. Some dates were announced 9 months in advance.

I understand that tours are planned ahead, but you said 2 years. There's no way. Zoo TV was obviously not booked 2 years in advanced for they didn't even know if they'd get through the recording of the album.

Yes Pop was cut short, but planning for the tour didn't start until recording started. In interviews the band said a lot of the recording was interupted with stage design and tour dates...I think a big reason why U2 has stripped down their stages. The development interupts recording too much.

U2FanPeter said:

Why did Bono get a buzz cut?

Who cares, has nothing to do with tour.

gabrielvox said:
worsttopic.jpg

:applaud:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I only clicked on to make sure I was reading it right. I can't believe this thread actually exists! :lol:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I understand that tours are planned ahead, but you said 2 years. There's no way. Zoo TV was obviously not booked 2 years in advanced for they didn't even know if they'd get through the recording of the album.

Yes Pop was cut short, but planning for the tour didn't start until recording started. In interviews the band said a lot of the recording was interupted with stage design and tour dates...I think a big reason why U2 has stripped down their stages. The development interupts recording too much.

I dont think it was 2 years for Zoo but they started planning it about a year to year and a half before the tour started. Dennis Sheehan scouted out the places they were planning to play, hotels they were planning to stay, and best routes to and from them over a year before the Zoo tour started. They didnt officially book/announce the shows but they did reserve the dates with arenas and hotels well ahead of time. There is ALOT of logistic planning that is involved for a major world tour that simply cant be done completely on the fly (no pun intended :laugh: ).

I do think they are a tad more flexible with the scheduling now versus back then. But they still have tentative plans set well in advance for most of their tour(s). This is why you have heard that dates are "tentatively" reserved for venues like Aloha stadium. They also had a bunch of stadiums reserved for this summer in N. America ahead of time, because they thought they might come back and play stadiums here. They supposedly started reserving those last summer. So it appears they at least start tentative planning for most shows even now at least 8 months to a year in advance. They just dont make an official announcement until they are ready to make it concrete. Look at the rescheduling of the first dates of Vertigo. Originally it was starting in Miami and Paul McGuinness even said this. Didnt happen obviously and they had to scramble to reschedule that portion of the tour. Which coincidently was scheduled for 7 to 8 months later, :hmm: sounds similiar to another situation. THOSE dates were tentative until the third leg was announced about 5 months later! So use the same template here. You are looking at an official announcement sometime in August, with additional tickets or new tickets for possible new dates going on sale in Sept. Were people in Miami looking to sue the band last spring? I dont remember that thread if they did. :shrug:

from u2.com

Thanks For Your Patience

We at U2.com would like to thank you for your patience around the recent postponement of the Vertigo Tour dates. As we're sure you can appreciate, changes of this nature generate a great deal of work behind the scenes.

We hope to have the situation resolved soon. We apologise for the delay and thank you again for your continued patience

well theres your "announcement/update", they didnt even have to do this, so i take my hat of to both U2.com and the band for doing it

Back
Top Bottom