camping out for GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said before about the whole camping thing, I'll give you my options and then people who think camping is dumb can tell me why it still doesn't make sense:

Given: I can't afford to fly to see U2 and I can't afford to pay for hotel rooms to see U2

Option 1: I get up at 2am to get on the road for a 3.5 hr drive so I can get in line early and still be in the first or second row along the rail

Option 2: I finish class/work, leave for the show that night, camp out at the venue, I have a MUCH better position in line AND I get a full night's rest.

So you see, for me, camping just makes sense in general and it's not totally about getting near the front of the line. Why pay like $100 for a hotel room, plus tons more for cab rides and/or parking when I can just use the camping equipment I already own and only have to pay to park the car once?

I'm totally sweating bullets over this. If I show up outside the venue, say, 3 or so, and don't get into the ellipse, am I even going to be able to get a DECENT spot?

I guess I just have to pray to the U2 gods that either my girlfriend or I gets selected for the ellipse...

inmyplace13 said:
I'm totally sweating bullets over this. If I show up outside the venue, say, 3 or so, and don't get into the ellipse, am I even going to be able to get a DECENT spot?

I guess I just have to pray to the U2 gods that either my girlfriend or I gets selected for the ellipse...

3pm the day of? Depends on how tall you are. I'd guess you'd be in like the 3rd or 4th row back.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

3pm the day of? Depends on how tall you are. I'd guess you'd be in like the 3rd or 4th row back.

and in my opinion, its better to be towards the back of the floor near the soundboard rather than 3 or 4 people back.

inmyplace13 said:
I'm totally sweating bullets over this. If I show up outside the venue, say, 3 or so, and don't get into the ellipse, am I even going to be able to get a DECENT spot.

I was 3 people back in Chicago in may when my friend and I showed up btwn 8:30-9:00 am.

More than anything I just want to give myself my best chance of getting in the ellipse. If I don't get in, it's all a lost cause to me.

This might be the wrong mentality. It's my first show and I ought to be excited. But the fact is, I'm just dreading getting my ticket scanned

oh your first show......well lemme tell ya, prepare to be blown away no matter what. At least you will be in da house. It's an experience you will NEVER forget!

Well also in my advantage is the fact that Dallas crowds traditionally suck and don't show up early.

Around the 28th or so I'm going to start a "send good vibes for inmyplace13 to get into the ellipse" thread. I sure would love for everyone to participate in it

That is a good idea. I promise I will send good vibes your way. Tell you what....we can trade. You can send good vibes my way for 11/4 Vegas.....or more for my sister, she's gonna be on crutches!

inmyplace13 said:
Well also in my advantage is the fact that Dallas crowds traditionally suck and don't show up early.

I guess you weren't at the 2nd Dallas Elevation show, the GA was huge from the very early hours of the morning.

ramblin rose said:

I guess you weren't at the 2nd Dallas Elevation show, the GA was huge from the very early hours of the morning.

haha yeah. me and my friend julie got to the arena around midnite the night before and were #50 and 51 in line and camped out...in november when it was cooooold. where were you then inmyplalce13? :laugh:

anyway i'm still planning on camping. if american airlines center even allows it that is. of course if the weather is crap i'll probably just show up at the crack of dawn the day of the show. i just like hanging out with all the u2 fans in the GA line too :up:

Not worth it by a longshot.

Maybe I'm getting old, but sleeping outside without a shower, in a sleeping bag? Yeah, I used to hostel too, when I was 21. Now, I'm kinda partial to my bed.

If you get there early enough in the morning, like 5-6 am, you will more than likely get a rail spot regardless.

and in my opinion, its better to be towards the back of the floor near the soundboard rather than 3 or 4 people back.

Absolutely agree.

The way I see it, if you're not willing to show up very early that morning or camp out, you're better off having a nice day elsewhere, and trying to wing it with an ellipse scan. Or hang out by the soundboard and try to get a pass once the show starts. Both are better options, IMO, than showing up at noon and being 4-5 people deep outside the rail. Like a cattle car.

inmyplace, my wife and i were 57 and 58 at the second dallas show. so you were only a few ahead of us. we got there around 330 am....the first dallas elevation show we arrived at 5pm and still got into the heart. we plan on getting there this time around 9-10 am. hopefully we'll get a good spot. if not, we'll creep up when everyone gets their beer.

Frog, this is going to be my first show, i said i might show up around 3 this time.

when i said dallas crowds suck, i didnt say dallas u2 crowds. i have no idea about that. just crowds for shows ive been to around here havent been very good or early.

just a generalization, sorry.

9-10 am actually sounds good, Frog.

ABEL, Frog, Rose, we need to have a little interference getogether in the GA line

Chizip said:

how is that desperate? the lottery system pretty much forces people to do this if they want to assure themselves of a good spot.

i think people would camp with or without the lottery. in fact, you suggested showing up late for a chance at the ellipse, so the old system would mean even more camping...

ruffian said:

i think people would camp with or without the lottery. in fact, you suggested showing up late for a chance at the ellipse, so the old system would mean even more camping...

it forces people to try to get within the first 75-100 to get a good spot rather than the first 300-400 in line

if i couldnt arrive in time to get within the first 100, then yes, i would wait until showtime

i could show up early afternoon the day of a show on elevation and be guaranteed a spot in the heart. i pretty much have to spend the night out during the vertigo tour to guarantee a spot along the outside rail.

Last edited:
Chizip said:
i could show up early afternoon the day of a show on elevation and be guaranteed a spot in the heart. i pretty much have to spend the night out during the vertigo tour to guarantee a spot along the outside rail.

I hear you, it sucks. After the Sept 20 show, Phil and I literally ran out to get back in line (spending the night for the next show) and were already in the mid-40s. So we were in line almost 24 hrs and got one of the very last spots on the rail, way over on the side.

Personally I had a great time camping out in Chicago 9/19-9/21. But as LivLuv pointed out we did have perfect weather, and a perfect venue in terms of convenience/parking, etc. I haven't been to any other venues besides Milwaukee but my guess is other places may not make it as easy to set up shop for 2+ days as the United Center did.

After having such a postive experience in September, I am kicking myself for not doing GA/camping out at all the shows in May. I did it for 5/7 and was a wimp with seated tickets for all the rest of the shows that week.

Yeah, I just want to say KUDOS to the United Center!!!:happy: :up:

They went out of their way for us...at the end of the day they gave us bottled water and when we got inside more. And when there were issues with people following the number system the GM and his assistant came out to help get things back on track. The GM also came out to floor along the rail to talk to the fans for a bit. Cool guy!

United Center was a very nice venue to camp out...with the grassy area and adjacent parking, etc...

oops, i directed my post at the wrong person. sorry for the confusion. i was really talking to abel, who was at the second elevation show in dallas.... i'm going with a friend of mine who does not want to camp out. do you guys think people in line would have a problem if we came and went throughout the day (to get food, explore dallas, etc) as long as we didn't leave and show up at the last minute? last time, i pretty much had to study all day, so we never left.

tawanda said:
Yeah, I just want to say KUDOS to the United Center!!!:happy: :up:

They went out of their way for us...at the end of the day they gave us bottled water and when we got inside more. And when there were issues with people following the number system the GM and his assistant came out to help get things back on track. The GM also came out to floor along the rail to talk to the fans for a bit. Cool guy!

United Center was a very nice venue to camp out...with the grassy area and adjacent parking, etc...

That's great. You all lucked out. If only all the venues were as caring about their ticketholder patrons.

If my parents would let me (I feel so young here :reject: ) I would totally camp out (and so would at least one of my friends). Unfortunately we have school and homework and we're already missing a day to drive two hours to Hartford (we're outside of Boston, no GAs at ALL for us :madspit:) at ungodly hours of the morning. But we are so so excited and I can't wait to meet everyone else there. Anyone else going to Hartford? We've got six of us with GAs.

Back
Top Bottom