Buying tickets the day of show, outside the arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knox

Refugee
I have a friend who wants a decent ticket for U2 but can't pay through the nose to get it. I've seen people talk about getting tickets outside the venue on the day of the show, and I had been thinking about doing this on May 7 anyway, and I thought that the two of us could both do it.

So my question is to anyone who has done this before: how much do tickets go for? I'd prefer the floor, obviously (and I suspect that without the shot at front row, they'll be cheap around 7pm), but I really don't care, I just don't want to be behind the stage. Anyone have experience with this?

Good question but I'm sorry I don't know. I also have a friend who'd like to do the same. Thanks for posting. Hopefully someone has experience in this area.

knox said:
I have a friend who wants a decent ticket for U2 but can't pay through the nose to get it. I've seen people talk about getting tickets outside the venue on the day of the show, and I had been thinking about doing this on May 7 anyway, and I thought that the two of us could both do it.

So my question is to anyone who has done this before: how much do tickets go for? I'd prefer the floor, obviously (and I suspect that without the shot at front row, they'll be cheap around 7pm), but I really don't care, I just don't want to be behind the stage. Anyone have experience with this?

are you talking about if the band release extra tix the day of, or are you talking about buying from scalpers outside??

there are a ring of scalpers in the us that worked U2/Rolling Stones/Pearl Jam and others last tours...selling counterfeit tix...

i was stupid and desperate the last nite of the first elevation leg in NJ and bought 2 GA for $250....got inside and when my ticket scanned it was a fake. the people at the arena said it was an "inside job" because it was "printed on ticketmaster stock..." which meant that someone in ticketbastard printed out a whole lotta fakes and split the $$$$$$$$ with the scalpers. i went back to the parking lot w/the cops to find the a#$%hole and he was gone.

my advice....only buy from fans you know and trust.

melissa

At wembley popmart there were plenty of tix going outside. I had a spare and a tout only offered me a fiver for it saying he would struggle to get face value (and i believed him but didn't sell). In fact I kept it and now it's got larry's signature on it!!

Your mate might get lucky - some u2 fans will want to see their spare ticket go to a genuine fan at face value rather than making money out of a fellow fan. Well that's me anyway - I've sold 4 for Croke at face value even though i could have made a small fortune on ebay :)

I was able to get a single, nosebleed ticket for the 4th Boston show last time around. It was at exactly 7:00. I walked up to the first group of fans I saw near the Fleet. One of them was passing out the tickets to the others. I asked if they had an extra and they did. I bought it for face value. I was lucky, but it's definitely possible. Floor tickets, however would be tougher. But as I've found, anything can happen.

That night I sat and watched the ring of scalpers work for about an hour and 1/2 before I went inside the arena. They didn't start to drop prices or show desperation until after 8:30. That's when I went inside so I didn't see what they were willing to do. But they sure do make me nervous after reading Mellissa's story of getting ripped off.

Just don't give up. You'll find your way in.

There are lots of fake tickets that get sold outside of arenas before shows. In Chicago in May 2001, lots of people purchased fake tickets from scalpers and weren't able to get in. Chances are those clowns will be back. Beware.

Spend a little extra money and get some tix off of ebay. Those are not likely to be counterfeit.

Oh wonderful...I REALLY hope the tickets on e-bay aren't counterfeit...is there anyway to check if they are once you get them??

try the ticketmaster/vendor in your area the day of the show, about noon till 2:00...there is normally a small release of tix...I managed to get row 1 lowers, on the side of the arena, 1/2 way up the heart, where it was the widest...:cool:

buckman said:
Spend a little extra money and get some tix off of ebay. Those are not likely to be counterfeit.

While I might be able to afford one for myself, I know that she wouldn't be able to.

I'm a poor college student, and she's a poorer high school student. :wink:

I was lucky enough to get a 40 odd dollar ticket in General Admission the night of the show - in fact AFTER P.J. Harvey played. This happened in New Jersey - June 2001. I saw a small group of people waiting by a gate and asked what was going on?
I was told to "wait for awhile and you'll probably get a ticket" - sure enough it happened - about 30 of us got in and got the best seats in the house...the floor!!! It was a great show - had a great conversation with Joe O'Heriley (soundman) and a small chat with Paul McGuiness (hanging out right by the soundboard).

PLEASE STANDBY FOR TANSMISSION:I TOOK MY WIFE TO SEE U2 AT SLANE CASTLE SEVRAL YEAR'S AGO.IT WAS SOLDOUT.WE HAD NO TICKETS AND NO CONTACT'S FOR GETTING ANY.WE WENT ANY WAY.(FROM CALIFORNIA!)NO I'M NOT WEALTHY!I WORK JUST AS HARD AS THE NEXT S.O.B.!WE WERE ABLE TO GET IN TO THE CONCERT.DON'T GIVE UP.YOU WILL GET INIF YOU REALLY WANT TO.AS FAR AS BUYING FAKE TICKET'S,I THINK MOST OF US CAN TELL THE PERSON'S WHO MAY BE SELLING FAKE'S,I.E. THEY (A)HAVE A LOT OF TICKET'S TO SELL!(B)UNWILLING TO HAGGLE ON PRICE(C)LOOK & ACT LIKE A SCALPER,TALK FAST,WHINE WHEN YOU OFFER FACE VALUE OR LESS.EVEN IF YOU THINK IT'S THE REAL TICKET TELL THEM TO WALK YOU TO THE ENTRANCE TO THE CONCERT VENUE WHERE THEY SCAN THE TCKETS AS YOU GO THROUGH THE DOOR THEN AND ONLY THEN DO YOU PAY THEM!I HAD AN EXTRA TICKET FOR THE ELEVATION I WAS TRYING TO SELL,A PERSON WHO WAS INTERESTED IN IT WAS CONCERNED IT WASN'T REAL SO I TOLD HIM LET'S GO THROUGH ENTRANCE AND TICKET SCAN AND IF HE CAN PAY ME ONLY AFTER HIS TICKET IS SCANNED AND HE IS INSIDE!!!!ALSO REMEMBER THERE COMING BACK!!ROCK ON THE ROCKMEISTER

I'm planing to to find tickets the day of the concert for Chicago shows and yes that's a good idea tell the scalper to wait the ticket to be scaned If it's ok you do the payment If not you don't waste your money with fake tickets.

You should not attend a show without a ticket unless you have made plans in advance to buy from someone you trust and preferably, know. Check the U2 message boards day of show for people with last-minute extras. You will largely be wasting your time and risking a worse disappointment (like getting ripped off) with the street scum in the parking lot otherwise. There have been numerous incidents of fake tickets especially in cities like Chicago and New York where sophisticated networks distribute the counterfeit tix. It is dangerous for you to purchase a ticket from someone you do not know. If you attempt to enter with a fake ticket, you will be ejected and you will have absolutely no recourse for your lost money. I am speaking from experience. Further, people who show up without tickets are a pain in the ass. They cause overcrowding and traffic and they support the continued practice of scalping at outrageous prices. If you did not get a ticket, save your money and do something else that you also enjoy. That’s what I’m going to do.

Keep checking with Ticketmaster.com because tickets become available closer to the show for a variety of reasons. I was able to get Elevation tickets less than a week before the show and Madonna Drowned World tickets the day of the show.

U2fan05 said:
What's the view like from the soundboard?
Will it be tough for a 5'7" guy to see the stage?

Can't say about this tour, of course, but at Elevation Providence2, my wife and I stood directly in front of the soundboard (backs to the rail). My wife's 5'8", and she had no trouble seeing the stage.

i would say check to see if anyone in the GA line has any extra tcikets first

these are true u2 fans who wont try to rip you off

i remember for some reason i had 3 extra ga's for the indy show during elevation and i sold them while waiting in line for face value

you just gotta find the right person at the right time and you can get a good deal

Chizip said:
i would say check to see if anyone in the GA line has any extra tcikets first

these are true u2 fans who wont try to rip you off.
I agree with that tactic, as tickets for this tour seem to be much more in demand than the last which means there will probably be a lot more fake tickets out there.

But you can also try the box office the day of usually mid to late afternoon is when they start releasing tickets. I didn't have a ticket to the vancouver show on the elevation tour but went anyway, walked right up around 3:30 and purchased a floor ticket. I've also had that luck with Dave Matthews and my husband as well with a Radiohead show.

Good luck!:wink:

All of these are very good options: GA line, box office, etc. The bottom line is that the chances of getting a ticket, and even a really good one, the day of the show, are very significant. It's definately worth trying, although there always a possiblity you might end up very dissapointed.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to go to a venue even without a ticket. The odds are good.

Back
Top Bottom