Bootleg burnout...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawai17

The Fly
What are your general opinions on listening to bootlegs for each show as they come online the next day or so?

While its exciting to be able to hear the show hours after it happened, I'm fearing burnout for when the tour swings around to my area. I've managed to not listen to a few songs (Yahweh, LAPOE, any of the boy stuff) so there are a few surprises when I see them live.

For those of you that listened to bootlegs before going to the show did it help or hurt the experience?

I like to be surprised as well, but it's nice to know when I can hit the restroom or beer stand and not miss anything I REALLY want to hear.

I could not imagine listinening to each U2 show as they come out... They're all the same.

Best idea, avoid seeing setlist ahead of time... Go to show with no expectations.

Worked for P'Mart
Worked for Elevation

What I like to do is find the best quality bootleg (for me it's Anaheim April 1st at the moment, and just keep that around when I want to listen to live Vertigo.

Then I don't worry about downloading any more bootlegs unless they're of superior quality.

I find I want to hear one or two songs at a time from my boots instead of the whole show. I've been hooked on The Fly at the moment.

I plan on avoiding bootlegs until I see my shows (not 'til 3rd leg!!:uhoh: ). After that, I'll probably find a few of the best shows and download those.

I started off getting every audio bootleg of the new tour, but have since stopped. I thought when and if they come to Australia, I dont want to be already bored with the concert by the time it makes it here. I will however get any DVD bootleg, and search for the audio bootlegs of specific shows after I have seen them. This way I'll get the 4 or 5 shows considered to be the best.

Sken

I've hardly listened to ANY, and any live versions of the new material i've heard from TV appearances etc. anyway, so it doesn't make a bit of difference. :madspit: :wink:

i downloaded the first few, but i haven't listened to much at all yet. i'm already spoiled with setlists, so i'm hoping to maintain some element of mystery. or something, i don't know. i'm sure i'll go bootleg-crazy after my chicago show.

Sken said:
I started off getting every audio bootleg of the new tour, but have since stopped. I thought when and if they come to Australia, I dont want to be already bored with the concert by the time it makes it here.
Sken

Good thinking, otherwise you'll be adding to that Tour Bitching thread -- "man, I listened to so many bootlegs the concert sucked" and boy would you get dumped on when that post hit.

:wink:

I'm starting to get all around U2 burnout. Not only am I connected with the tapers and have gone to everyshow, the rock stations on Sirius are playing the shit out of U2. Sometimes, there are up to three different songs playing at a time.

I'm ready for a break after Denver.:ohmy:

i downloaded the first few, but i haven't listened to much at all yet. i'm already spoiled with setlists, so i'm hoping to maintain some element of mystery. or something, i don't know. i'm sure i'll go bootleg-crazy after my chicago show.

Me too! I've got them all on my computer, but am avoiding listening to them until after I see my three shows (Seattle x2 and Vancouver).

It depends on what format the bootleg is in, faithingrace. If it's in MP3 format, then you can put it onto your iPod through iTunes. If it's in SHN or FLAC format, you'll have to do some converting.

For help with that, go to the Audio/Video forum and look at one of the first few topics - there's an extensive "how to" thread, with a really helpful post right on the first page of that thread.

Good luck!

I'm ODing on these bootlegs - downloading all of it, burning all of it, blasting it in my car on the way to work in the mornings. How can you pass this up? It's a great time to be a U2 fan...

I usually keep up to date with the shows, and listen to them once, usually as soon as I get it. I have only been going after each show to save me time in the end. Getting everything gradually as the shows come up is easier than getting burnt out trying to get a lot of the tour compiled onto CD's later on after the tour is over, or after a lot of shows have gone by. That happend to me for the last tour. So I am very thankful to be able to do it this way this tour! This way getting the cover art together, creating the audio and backup file discs is makes it fun again to do as the tour is going down.

kawai17 said:

While its exciting to be able to hear the show hours after it happened, I'm fearing burnout for when the tour swings around to my area. I've managed to not listen to a few songs (Yahweh, LAPOE, any of the boy stuff) so there are a few surprises when I see them live.

This is exactly why I'm not listening to the bootlegs. (Okay, I cheated a little and listened to "Zoo Station" which is almost identical to the Zoo TV version, and "Bullet the Blue Sky"). I'm surprised I've lasted this long, considering I caved and listened to HTDAAB within hours of it leaking. :|

Can't wait to hear LAPOE live. :drool:

LyricalDrug said:
I'm ODing on these bootlegs - downloading all of it, burning all of it, blasting it in my car on the way to work in the mornings. How can you pass this up? It's a great time to be a U2 fan...

I'm doing the same thing... Going to work has never been so fun...

LyricalDrug said:

You said it. Times like these come around to seldom to not OD when given the opportunity:yes:

kellyahern said:
I've been enjoying the bootlegs, it's kinda like following the tour as it goes along :)

Me too. Even though the set lists are similar what was happening on stage at the time was different. Strange though - When I was in 'the special place' I was so blown away that I wasn’t even thinking about what song was going to be next. It was like the first show again.

Back
Top Bottom