Bono's voice in L.A.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
was it as good as everyone was saying? there is some nutter in the show reviews section thats trying to say he sounded crap?

He sounded good, actually great. I was a bit surprised at how well his voice sounded, probably because L.A. got the early part of the tour, let's see if he sounds this good in November.

Lila64 said:
Sounded great both in L.A. and Anaheim2. Let's see how tonite is.... (great I'm sure!)

Did you go to both Anaheim shows and LA 1? If so, what show did you think was the best so far?

His voice sounded great, but the vocal mix was terrible--I could barely hear the vocals in ceratin parts of some songs because the band drowned them out.

Lets face it, his live voice is nothing compared to 10-15 years ago. I have been listening back to some bootlegs of ZooTV shows, and his vocals are just outstanding.

I'm not having a dig at all, his voice is bound to deteriorate over the years.

Martinuk100 said:
Lets face it, his live voice is nothing compared to 10-15 years ago. I have been listening back to some bootlegs of ZooTV shows, and his vocals are just outstanding.

I'm not having a dig at all, his voice is bound to deteriorate over the years.
but people have said his vocals are the best they have been since Zoo, so this means they have actually improved from the last tour, and not deterioted?

he dosent just sound good he sounds bloody fantastic compared to elevation and popmart, but why cant people see this? is it because some of them are new fans? i just dunno

KUEFC09U2 said:
he dosent just sound good he sounds bloody fantastic compared to elevation and popmart, but why cant people see this?

You really believe he could sing let's say a Popmart Mexico version of All I Want Is You? I'm not so sure about it... :eyebrow:

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

You really believe he could sing let's say a Popmart Mexico version of All I Want Is You? I'm not so sure about it... :eyebrow:
i think he could, for one his high range is pretty much back, he is holiding the words for longer, so ye i think he could, just listen to yahweh

There is no doubt about it...he sounded much better during the Zootv and Popmart tours. And no I am not a new U2 fan.

Raid said:
There is no doubt about it...he sounded much better during the Zootv and Popmart tours. And no I am not a new U2 fan.
you REALLY sure he sonded better during popmart? because what i heard he wasnt too great not BAD but just not even elevation tour standards, and if you ever got the best of DVD you will have seen the documentry when there in sarajevo, in the car with mrs sarajevo and bono starts signing, edge has to tell him to watch his voice

but hey am sure you have seen that

This is the deal, and I'm speaking objectively and not from any one particular real life experience.

It's really impossible to say Bono sounds better or worse and have everyone agree 100%. However, I believe everyone will agree that Bono's voice is different now than it was 10-15 years ago. This can't be disputed, and is really attested by my sons, who upon listening to Rattle and Hum with me over the weekend kept asking me "That's really Bono singing? He sounds totally different".

With that in mind, it comes down to a matter of preference. Some people may like the smooth, more falsetto type voice that Bono sang predominantly with during his younger days, a la JT and before. It was around 1990, with AB and the ensuing tours/records that his voice took on a more deep, gravely sound. Some people find this "aged voice", for lack of better description, to be more appealing. Again, you can't get everyone to agree on better or worse because of personal preferences. Start a thread that states "Bono's voice sounds different" and I'd bet you would find almost total agreement.

There...now go back to debating the topic. :)

nope... to be fair am fed up now of debatting stupid things like this, am just going to enjoy the tour, if people arent then am sorry to hear that, but i think both bono's voice, and the tour are kicking arse,

I don't know guys. In my opinion, Bono's voice sounds stronger now than at any point since Zoo TV. It's certainly thinner now, but on PopMart (latter part of the legs, certainly) and Elevation his voice was really having trouble with those high notes. But for my money, having just seen them at Anaheim 1, his voice hit all the notes with nothing held back. Pretty darn good -- for my money, "Sometimes" live sounded better than in the studio.

I'm the nutter this dimwit is talking about. I just said his vocals were weak last night (4/5) and he went apeshit. I think we all know that Bono has off nights. I saw them on 4/2 and his vocals were fantastic.

nathan1977 said:
I don't know guys. In my opinion, Bono's voice sounds stronger now than at any point since Zoo TV. It's certainly thinner now, but on PopMart (latter part of the legs, certainly) and Elevation his voice was really having trouble with those high notes. But for my money, having just seen them at Anaheim 1, his voice hit all the notes with nothing held back. Pretty darn good -- for my money, "Sometimes" live sounded better than in the studio.
thats what i was trying to say, but some people just wont have it, but its there opinion

nathan1977 said:

My thoughts exactly...

I was there too, and fairly shocked to see (and hear) how well his voice was that night. Impressive, without a doubt.

theyoonaboramer said:
I'm the nutter this dimwit is talking about. I just said his vocals were weak last night (4/5) and he went apeshit. I think we all know that Bono has off nights. I saw them on 4/2 and his vocals were fantastic.
but this is what i was saying, look at the posts above, people are saying he sounded fantastic and your saying he wasnt, so i just pointed out it was your view against theres,

:hmm: From what I've heard so far on this tour:

Last 5 tours

Lovetown (Strongest vocals)

ZooTV

Vertigo

Elevation

Popmart (Weakest Vocals)

I reckon since Popmart (when :bono: voice sounded fragile, in my brutal opinion), Bono's voice has been getting stronger with each tour.
I've been amazed at some of the notes the B man has been hitting on this tour: the sustained high notes whilst introducing Streets (is it coincidence he's only being doing this SINCE Popmart) and Yahweh to name a couple of examples.
C'mon now...roast me for all you're worth :wink:

Last edited:
I would say that's about right. The Lovetown shows had the strongest everything in terms of raw music and performance: emotion, vocals, improvisation, etc.

Back
Top Bottom