Bono's voice in L.A. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Raid
There is no doubt about it...he sounded much better during the Zootv and Popmart tours. And no I am not a new U2 fan.
you REALLY sure he sonded better during popmart? because what i heard he wasnt too great not BAD but just not even elevation tour standards, and if you ever got the best of DVD you will have seen the documentry when there in sarajevo, in the car with mrs sarajevo and bono starts signing, edge has to tell him to watch his voice

but hey am sure you have seen that

Old 04-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #17
The Fly

This is the deal, and I'm speaking objectively and not from any one particular real life experience.

It's really impossible to say Bono sounds better or worse and have everyone agree 100%. However, I believe everyone will agree that Bono's voice is different now than it was 10-15 years ago. This can't be disputed, and is really attested by my sons, who upon listening to Rattle and Hum with me over the weekend kept asking me "That's really Bono singing? He sounds totally different".

With that in mind, it comes down to a matter of preference. Some people may like the smooth, more falsetto type voice that Bono sang predominantly with during his younger days, a la JT and before. It was around 1990, with AB and the ensuing tours/records that his voice took on a more deep, gravely sound. Some people find this "aged voice", for lack of better description, to be more appealing. Again, you can't get everyone to agree on better or worse because of personal preferences. Start a thread that states "Bono's voice sounds different" and I'd bet you would find almost total agreement.

There...now go back to debating the topic.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

nope... to be fair am fed up now of debatting stupid things like this, am just going to enjoy the tour, if people arent then am sorry to hear that, but i think both bono's voice, and the tour are kicking arse,
Old 04-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #19
The Fly

I agree....dude could sound at his worse and he'd still be singing with more emotion than most.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't know guys. In my opinion, Bono's voice sounds stronger now than at any point since Zoo TV. It's certainly thinner now, but on PopMart (latter part of the legs, certainly) and Elevation his voice was really having trouble with those high notes. But for my money, having just seen them at Anaheim 1, his voice hit all the notes with nothing held back. Pretty darn good -- for my money, "Sometimes" live sounded better than in the studio.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #21
The Fly

I'm the nutter this dimwit is talking about. I just said his vocals were weak last night (4/5) and he went apeshit. I think we all know that Bono has off nights. I saw them on 4/2 and his vocals were fantastic.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
I don't know guys. In my opinion, Bono's voice sounds stronger now than at any point since Zoo TV. It's certainly thinner now, but on PopMart (latter part of the legs, certainly) and Elevation his voice was really having trouble with those high notes. But for my money, having just seen them at Anaheim 1, his voice hit all the notes with nothing held back. Pretty darn good -- for my money, "Sometimes" live sounded better than in the studio.
thats what i was trying to say, but some people just wont have it, but its there opinion
Old 04-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
My thoughts exactly...

I was there too, and fairly shocked to see (and hear) how well his voice was that night. Impressive, without a doubt.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by theyoonaboramer
I'm the nutter this dimwit is talking about. I just said his vocals were weak last night (4/5) and he went apeshit. I think we all know that Bono has off nights. I saw them on 4/2 and his vocals were fantastic.
but this is what i was saying, look at the posts above, people are saying he sounded fantastic and your saying he wasnt, so i just pointed out it was your view against theres,
Old 04-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #25
Acrobat

From what I've heard so far on this tour:

Last 5 tours

Lovetown (Strongest vocals)

ZooTV

Vertigo

Elevation

Popmart (Weakest Vocals)

I reckon since Popmart (when voice sounded fragile, in my brutal opinion), Bono's voice has been getting stronger with each tour.
I've been amazed at some of the notes the B man has been hitting on this tour: the sustained high notes whilst introducing Streets (is it coincidence he's only being doing this SINCE Popmart) and Yahweh to name a couple of examples.
C'mon now...roast me for all you're worth
Old 04-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #26
The Fly

I would say that's about right. The Lovetown shows had the strongest everything in terms of raw music and performance: emotion, vocals, improvisation, etc.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #27
The Fly

Hey KUEFC09U2, I'm going to Staples tonight and I already know that his voice sucks in tonight's show.